The perfect grocery list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perfect grocery list

Hey everyone! I'm just getting started on this new primal lifestyle thing and I've gotten by for the past two weeks on spinach, broccoli, pork tenderloin, lamb, and brussel sprouts... thankfully I just got my paycheck and I'm ready to go stock up so I can have a full compliment of properly ratio-ed fats and good protein at my disposal...
    If you could do an ideal primal grocery shopping, what would it include? I know I'm going to pick up:

-Coconut oil
    -almonds
    -walnuts
    -frozen wild caught salmon
    -some fresh veggies
    -eggs
    I'm probably going to a farm stand so I can get some nitrate-free bacon and free range chicken... does this seem like it would provide a pretty good mix of nutrients? Also, are frozen veggies any worse than fresh? I don't even know if they're full of salt or preservatives. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

there is a grocery list thread somehwere on here... just do a search.
    sigpic

Comment

Here in Australia, regular frozen veggies - just the bags of peas or broccoli or whatever - don't have any additives. They are regarded as a good option - sometimes even better, because they haven't sat in your fridge for a week losing nutrients, but are blanched and snap frozen soon after picking. However watch out for those pre-prepared microwave veggies and such, there's a good chance they are seasoned already so check the ingredients. I don't know what your labeling laws are over there.

Macadamia nuts. Lower in Omega6s, and delicious. I also like Brazil nuts, and maybe some pepitas.

I like Asian greens like Bok Choy and Choy Sum as they are lower in oxalates than spinach.

Comment

Here's mine:

Primal Groceries
        Grassfed beef
        Wild Salmon
        Turkey/Chicken
        Uncured bacon
        Beef Jerky
        Local Farm Eggs

Spinach/Spring Greens
        Cucumber
        Green Pepper
        Zucchini/Eggplant
        Asparagus
        Broccoli
        Carrots
        Avocado
        Grape Tomatoes
        Cilantro
        Onion
        Lime

Olive oil
        Butter
        Almonds
        Cashews
        Macademia
        Pistachios

Craisins
        Fresh fruit of all kinds
        Dark Chocolate
        Almond Milk
        Yogurt

Green Tea
        Macha Tea

This is my list to appease all 5 members of my family...I am limiting dairy and fruit as of right now.

Comment

Found the previous thread. Thought I'd link it here in case anyone else wanted to read it too:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...t=grocery+list

Comment

Originally posted by Helen in Oz View Post
            Here in Australia, regular frozen veggies - just the bags of peas or broccoli or whatever - don't have any additives. They are regarded as a good option - sometimes even better, because they haven't sat in your fridge for a week losing nutrients, but are blanched and snap frozen soon after picking. However watch out for those pre-prepared microwave veggies and such, there's a good chance they are seasoned already so check the ingredients. I don't know what your labeling laws are over there.

Macadamia nuts. Lower in Omega6s, and delicious. I also like Brazil nuts, and maybe some pepitas.

I like Asian greens like Bok Choy and Choy Sum as they are lower in oxalates than spinach.
            I did not know that about frozen vegetables. Now I suppose they deserve an apology for me snobbing them all these years. If they have no additives and are snap frozen they are probably better than Coles and Woolworths "fresh" vegetables.
            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

meat
              whatever veggies are in season
              butter if i need it
              farm eggs
              kefir/yogurt

thats all i buy!

occassionally stock on spice/garlic cloves
              Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions... my trip last night led to a really tasty breakfast and lunch today. Who knew that fiddlehead ferns would taste awesome?!? I picked up some macadamia oil and pumpkin seed oil as well - I used the macadamia oil on some spinach this morning and it was great, I can't wait to try out the pumpkin seed oil...

Comment

I keep it simple: (for me and my fiance)

2lbs ground beef
                  2 packages chicken drumsticks
                  2lbs shrimp
                  Red Peppers
                  Salad Mix
                  Brocolli Slaw
                  Onions
                  Heavy Cream
                  Bacon
                  LOTS of eggs

end
                  Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

I envy you guys who can just shop for yourselves or selves and primal partner. I'm trying to improve my family's diet, but it's going to be a gradual process. Right now I'm sitting here smelling the instant noodles my daughter just ate. And shopping, I was buying biscuits and stuff I knew they'd want. They aren't allowed to have nuts at school anyway.

Today the more primal contents of my cart included -
                    Veggies! - Cauliflower, leafy greens, carrots, capsicum (pepper)
                    Almond Meal
                    Hazelnut meal
                    almond butter
                    85% cocoa chocolate (lindt)
                    bacon
                    cream cheese
                    organic yoghurt
                    frozen raspberries
                    tomato salsa

also some frozen seasoned chicken

Comment

Working...