No announcement yet.

"We are all different"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I don't agree with using it in an argument to support eating doritos and mountain dew. We aren't THAT different.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
      Everyone says this on this forum. But where does this thinking come from?

I would suggest the opposite:

We are all pretty much the same.
      Then why the hell am I so much cooler than you?
      Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
        Then why the hell am I so much cooler than you?
        Maybe because you have hypothyroidism ... OK I'm out

Comment

Let's work from the top down:

We are all humans.
          We all need food, water, sunlight, exercise and at least one emotional relationship for optimal health. We should avoid stress, pollution and any foods or other introductions from the past 300 years as much as we can.

We are men and women.
          We both have hormonal fluctuations.
          Men have naturally higher testosterone. Keeping it high equals optimal health. Men gain muscle more easily, can fast without issue and cope with 'poisonings' somewhat better.
          Women have a hormonal balance. If either side is thrown off, our health can be compromised. We can't gain as much muscle as quickly, we are better off not fasting and, for many reasons, can be damaged by toxins more easily (think alcohol). We also have more wildly varying levels of fertility throughout our lives and are able to bear children.

We are of many ethnicities.
          If we are East Asian, then we're more likely to be intolerant to lactose. If we're Arabic or Northern European then we tolerate it far better. If we are Inuit, we have larger livers to process our mostly-meat diet. If we are Eastern European, we need to sustain a higher body-mass.

We are of different ages.
          Children, teens and those in their early 20s need more food, as their bodies are still growing. Men in their 50s go through a hormonal shift which makes it easier to sustain muscle, provided it's already built. Menstruating women eat more whilst building what could be a placenta, whilst post-menopausal women no longer have the need. We have different bone-densities and different calcium needs to sustain/improve those bone-densities. We have different brains: younger people who smoke cannabis suffer brain degradation, elderly people enjoy better memory.

We are of varying sizes.
          Some are taller, shorter, leaner, larger, more muscled, faster, slower, stronger, weaker. Every organ in our bodies varies in size and ability to function. Even our colons are of wildly different sizes, with the largest possible being double that of the smallest possible.

We are ill in different ways.
          Some are magnesium deficient, some overweight, some lethargic, some stressed, some underfat, some vitamin C deficient...

We are individual even within that.
          You may be a woman whose hormone levels are just as stable as a guy's throughout your life, regardless of fertility. You may be an Asian who is lactose-tolerant or a Northern European who is lactose-intolerant. You may be a 28-year-old going through a growth-spurt. You may be someone very tall who, due to metabolism, needs far less kcals to survive than you'd estimated.

So we're all from the same blueprint, but we're all individual. We're not so different that we can separate a group that would distinctly do better on Mars, but we're not so similar that we can prescribe one life to all of humanity.
          --
          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

On the grand scale of things, yes, our bodies function in the same way. On a minor, personal scale, some people run faster, some run slower, some do better on more carbs, some do better on more fats. It's tiny things, but it's significant and important to the person that's trying to figure out the minutiae of details that works for them. 5 pounds or 10 pounds may not seem like a lot when there are such a wide range of bodies, but it matters significantly to the person trying to lose that little bit of weight. It's all perspective.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by dkJames View Post
              Maybe because you have hypothyroidism ... OK I'm out
              touche... I lol'd

but I actually have hyperthyroidism ;_;
              Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                Almost all cars have similar parts, but the origin and makeup of those parts can vary greatly.
                And like any bodyshop customizing a car it takes time, planning and the right materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
                  If we are Eastern European, we need to sustain a higher body-mass.
                  Why is this? Not that I doubt it's true, I just don't know why. Is it because of the cold?

Comment

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
                    Why is this? Not that I doubt it's true, I just don't know why. Is it because of the cold?
                    It's actually simpler: we have larger, heavier bones and lay down muscle very well. An inactive Eastern European will have a higher healthy BMI than a Southern European and a much higher healthy BMI than an East Asian under the same circumstances. Have a look at some Slavic or Baltic bones. They look normal at first but, side-by-side to an East Asian (they are on the opposite end of the scale), they look like the skeleton of some kind of a monster
                    I noticed this long before I knew I was phenotypically Slavic (or what a phenotype was, or even that I had Slavic blood). When I was 13 I was anorexic (weighed around 55kg and was 1m 50-odd). I recall my BMI being calculated as 23.3, despite the fact you could play the xylophone on my ribs.

PS: I just noticed that the East Asian vs East European comparison is actually quite good for arguing the cold theory: both phenotypes developed under extremely cold weather. One became smaller and lighter with compact facial features to avoid frostbite and a smooth facial line. The other developed the smooth facial line, but became larger, heavier and developed denser bones. Both bodies hold-in warmth and prevent frost-damage, they just went different ways.
                    Last edited by Kochin; 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM.
                    --
                    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                    I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Ah, big bones. Thank you. That makes sense. I've often noticed how some people can't look "skinny" (even if they are) because their bones are so large. I hadn't realized this was a slavic trait. I have some slavic blood in me, and look a lot like my grandma who is half czech, but I definitely did not inherit the big bones. Mine are tiny and like to break .

Comment

Regarding bones though, I don't know.

Example. If you are in Asia you see Korean women with very small frames and people say "oh that's just genetic, white women can't be that slim because of their bone structure".

But if you look at Koreans born in America, fed milk, bread and cheese they can have massive bulky frames...just the same as most Americans.

Really "genetics" is just time. And probably not that much time either.

So I'm still not sure about this "we're all different" business.

Comment

Originally posted by ombat View Post
                          "All healthy persons are alike; each unhealthy person is unhealthy in his own way."

Love the Tolstoy!

Comment

I'm much taller (5'9"), more hour-glassed, more muscular, more big-boned, and just overall different in body build than the average Chinese person partially because of Manchurian genes from my mom's side. This is despite eating more or less the same diet as most people in China for the first 8 years of my life (communist regime, food stamps limiting amount of dairy/sugar/flour for every person). I also am way more carb-sensitive and do very well with almost no carbs. I'm assuming my affinity to large feasts of red meat also comes from Manchu roots. Manchus were pretty much hunter-gathers until the 12th century when they conquered China and established the Jin dynasty. No agriculture.

Epigenetics (turning on/off genes by environment/life choices) is definitely important but genetics definitely makes a person more prone to exhibit certain traits.

I'm sure there are other people who thrive on tons and tons of starches but I'm just not one of them (which is unfortunate because I love carbs).
                            ------
                            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

"Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

~Tyler Durden from the movie "Fight club"

And he is exactly right. We are not unique just because we are human. At the end of our life's we will die just like everyone else does.

We make ourselves unique by what we do with our life's, how we choose to live our life's.

There is a difference between existing and living.
                              Randal
                              AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                              Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                              http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
                                It's actually simpler: we have larger, heavier bones and lay down muscle very well. An inactive Eastern European will have a higher healthy BMI than a Southern European and a much higher healthy BMI than an East Asian under the same circumstances. Have a look at some Slavic or Baltic bones. They look normal at first but, side-by-side to an East Asian (they are on the opposite end of the scale), they look like the skeleton of some kind of a monster

I noticed this long before I knew I was phenotypically Slavic (or what a phenotype was, or even that I had Slavic blood). When I was 13 I was anorexic (weighed around 55kg and was 1m 50-odd). I recall my BMI being calculated as 23.3, despite the fact you could play the xylophone on my ribs.
                                We are all different - although Kochin and I probably have the same great-great-great-great grandparents.

Comment

Working...
                                X