Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappie

Is Crappie a crappy fish to eat?

I'll have as much crappie as I want available to me this summer.

It looks like mostly protein and very low-fat in terms of macros.

Check out this cool graph (it may take a few seconds to load). I think crappie is low to moderate risk as far as mercury content.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/201...sh_graphic.pdf

I'd say. Enjoy.

Comment

Check out the specific lake the fish is coming from. That is what will make or break the fish. Find a water quality report for mercury, dioxins and other such things.

Comment

Are you catching it yourself? I'd eat it for sure.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
          It looks like mostly protein and very low-fat in terms of macros.

Check out this cool graph (it may take a few seconds to load). I think crappie is low to moderate risk as far as mercury content.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/201...sh_graphic.pdf

I'd say. Enjoy.
          Good info! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by workinprogress View Post
            Check out the specific lake the fish is coming from. That is what will make or break the fish. Find a water quality report for mercury, dioxins and other such things.
            It's on my grandparents land, from a private lake. Do you think I should try to find a way to test it?

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              Are you catching it yourself? I'd eat it for sure.
              The men folk in my family will catch it AND clean it. That's perfectly fine with me. I've got it made! haha

Comment

Originally posted by brookesam View Post
                It's on my grandparents land, from a private lake. Do you think I should try to find a way to test it?
                Unless the nearby land has water running off into the lake from industrial scale farms, factories, or mining operations, I doubt you'd need to have it tested. Mmm...I love crappie!

Comment

I love crappie!

Its fresh wild fish! Eat it!

Comment

Your local agricultural extension should be able to run some basic tests if you want. But what meeshar said pretty much sums it up. You know where the lake is and its history, you should be alright.

Comment

No, you shouldn't eat them. Just send them all to me instead!
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by brookesam View Post
                        The men folk in my family will catch it AND clean it. That's perfectly fine with me. I've got it made! haha
                        Eat the hell out of it then. And don't bother testing it. I can guarantee that the fish you buy at the store is probably more polluted than your crappie will be. You will also be certain that the species you are eating is what it is.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

We stocked our pond last spring ('12) with some crappie. One of the teenagers caught one a few weeks ago, and said it was a pretty nice size.

I keep meaning to go try. We have so many cattails (yes, another food source I hear) that I really need to use the boat to fish where I think they might be hanging out.
                          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

One of the best fresh water fish out there.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!!! The lake is way out in the country on private land. My uncle said its the cleanest water he has ever caught out of. Looks like crappie is on my summer menu.

Comment

Working...
                              X