Weird Cravings for Non-Primal Foods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Cravings for Non-Primal Foods

Okay, so this is weird. Lately, as in the past couple of days, I have been craving foods that I have not eaten for six months. I have not had any cravings until now, either!

Right now I am craving white bread with butter on it. WTF is going on? I have not had wheat products since December. Yesterday I was wanting a bologna and cheese sandwich with mayo on white bread. The day before that, one of those high-calorie blended iced coffee things with chocolate and whipped cream. Last week at the mall, a tuna sandwich from Subway. What is going on with me?

I would expect cravings to have occured very shortly after stopping the consumption of wheat, etc. but after six months?
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

I notice the same cravings when I eat out more than usual. Last week I had pho 3 times (a vietnamese rice noodle soup with various cuts of beef in it). I've been getting cravings ever since. Just writing about it is giving me a craving..mmmm.

I get cravings for junk food if I get too hungry as well. I was tempted to go to mcdonalds a few weeks ago because I got super hungry at night and the food in my fridge didn't seem as appealing any more. I stuffed some chicken and an avocado in my mouth and the cravings went away.

Comment

Right now, garlic bread sounds nice. What the heck. I must be hungry, it is after lunch, and I have only eaten a salad today. Sure wish I would crave something like steak and eggs, though. This bread thing is weird.
      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

I feel you on that Subway tuna craving. That and their chocolate chip cookies

Comment

I almost posted something like this yesterday, I was craving really crappy food, have been for a week. Thankfully I didn't break down and buy the spicy ramen noodles (I knew it would make me ill, I'm gluten intolerant), but I have eaten bologna, spicy Vienna Sausages, and pork rinds. What nutrient would be in these things that my body was craving?

Comment

Originally posted by Primalsaber View Post
            I feel you on that Subway tuna craving. That and their chocolate chip cookies
            Working at Subway for years when I was in HS/college made me immune. Not even smelling the "fresh" baked bread gets me anymore. The tuna is just canned (well, a large version of the pouches) mixed with Kraft light mayo. Same with the seafood salad, it's just imitation krab and mayo.

Comment

All of your cravings sound sodium- and fat-heavy. Try white rice or a white potato with a gob of butter and lots of salt along with your meat or cheese, etc. This might cure your cravings. Following up with some fruit, chocolate, or quality ice cream wouldn't be such a terrible idea, either. might as well cover your bases! Heh
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Do you supplement Magnesium? Deficiency is associated with carb cravings.
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                  Do you supplement Magnesium? Deficiency is associated with carb cravings.
                  You single out the white flour and sugar parts of the cravings, but overlook the keywords: butter, bologna, whipped CREAM, mayo, cheese, and tuna swimming in mayo ala Subway?! I don't see plain carb cravings here, I see predominantly fatty and salty foods. If she had said lollipops and cotton candy, I might think carbs, but not multiple fatty foods.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

yeah, I would try eating some PB stuff and see if you still have any cravings...

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                      You single out the white flour and sugar parts of the cravings, but overlook the keywords: butter, bologna, whipped CREAM, mayo, cheese, and tuna swimming in mayo ala Subway?! I don't see plain carb cravings here, I see predominantly fatty and salty foods. If she had said lollipops and cotton candy, I might think carbs, but not multiple fatty foods.
                      Sandwich, sandwich and sweet coffee drink, sounds likes carb cravings to me. Otherwise, she would have gone for Primal salty, fatty yumminess, IMO.
                      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                        Sandwich, sandwich and sweet coffee drink, sounds likes carb cravings to me. Otherwise, she would have gone for Primal salty, fatty yumminess, IMO.
                        Naa. That's the thing about cravings, your mind just associates sources of deliverance. I think the bread and coffee are just vehicles for the fat and salt. Someone craving carbs usually doesn't mention a dozen fats along with it. All of the things she mentioned are higher in fat than sugar.

Comment

Aw fuck yeah primal salty, fatty yumminess ©

Fuckin' love me some big boring salads drowned in butter to go along with my 3/4 butter 1/4 coffee buttffee
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                            Aw fuck yeah primal salty, fatty yumminess ©

Fuckin' love me some big boring salads drowned in butter to go along with my 3/4 butter 1/4 coffee buttffee
                            Fat isn't always the answer, but when it is I don't think carbs should be indicted for being associated! People crave tasty delivery mechanisms because very few people outside of this forum want to lick a stick of butter or eat honey by the spoonful.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                              Fat isn't always the answer, but when it is I don't think carbs should be indicted for being associated! People crave tasty delivery mechanisms because very few people outside of this forum want to lick a stick of butter or eat honey by the spoonful.
                              Yea, just, fat is usually the answer you'll get around here regardless. If, only I knew that when I was making all my mistakes throughout my life, that if I just threw a stick of butter at it... maybe I'd be a better person today.

Subway is low fat though, doncha know!?

Ever tried dunking a stick of butter in honey? Oh gawd.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                              X