Going Camping! Need food ideas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Camping! Need food ideas!

Its that time of the year! Camping is approaching!
    I'm leaving in 2 weeks and have a family to feed. what do you do all do for breakfast? snacks? I'm not a huge nut person ( I'll just eat WAY to many) . I want to stay strickly primal...

Last time I went camping I was under prepared and ended eating not Primal-Friendly iteams, I was sick, but I had to because we are hiking and needed food! yikes! help please!!

I was thinking of some great foil wrap meat veggie ideas.. but I'm not sure if I leave the meat raw or pre cook? I also need idea for 4 days of camping

best camping ideas .... GO! wooohhooo

If it's car camping, bring a cooler and stock it with all primal foods. Wrapping veggies in foil pouches with a little olive oil and cooking over the fire makes delicious veggies. Barbecue your meat on the fire. Bring a coleman stove and frying pan if you want eggs and bacon.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I don't have a lot to add but I am interested as I have a camping trip coming up as well.
      The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

If you have access to a dehydrator, you can dehydrate meals and rehydrate them in boiling water.

Comment

I don't know what kind of camping you mean (tent, camper, RV or cabin) but a cast iron dutch oven works great for camping. Bacon and eggs, sausage and eggs, omelettes or banana pancakes for breakfast. Save any leftover meat you might have, whether its breakfast meats or things from the grill (or raw meat that you bring along), throw it in the dutch oven with some veggies and a little broth or whatever you have handy (even water with spices) and let it simmer in the fire for a few hours. YUM!

For foil wrapped meals, I wouldn't pre-cook.

Grilled meats, veggies and fruit works great too.
          My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

I am going tent camping, but by my car! not a serious hiking camping in the middle of nothing. I'll have a fire, and a hibachi.

I don't have a gas stove to bring.. I wanted to keep it fire done. If it's the morning and I want to put like 5-6 brochettes on the hibachi you think thats enough to put my cast iron on top??

If I bring raw meat in a cooler... how many days you think it will stay good for?
            Sometimes I feel ice mixed with water keeps everything MUCH cooler (altho doesn't last as long)

any great recipes for foil wrap?
            I guess I could pre-make chili

Comment

Go to your grocery store and get some dry ice--it stays cold for much longer than conventional ice.
              Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
              Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
              Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
              F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Freeze the meat before putting in the cooler. Maybe leave one defrosted for your first day. Then just bring the rest out to defrost before you need them.

Comment

I request you make campfire banana boats for dessert Pinterest / Search results for campfire banana boat and tell us how it went!

Comment

Camping somewhere with electric hook-up? If so, electric griddle for bacon, eggs

If not, other options...
                    -bring a pot to boil water over fire and poach eggs or reheat things like chili you mentioned
                    -'campfire grill baskets' - are awesome. Can cook meat right over fire! I've used for catch of the day - wrap fish in foil seasoned as you like and cook over fire (if fishing)
                    -potatoes, can slice with onion and wrap in foil. Buttered even better if bringing butter (great in campfire baskets as well)
                    -meat/veggie kabobs
                    -Dried fruit
                    -cans of tuna/oysters
                    -smoked turkey or fish
                    -beef jerkey
                    -cooked bacon if don't want to mess with cooking on site

Comment

If you have a base camp, invest in a cooler with "extreme" 5 day cooling. Bring most of your meat frozen and double bagged so it doesn't leak on the rest of your food.

I have this one: Rubbermaid - 75 Qt DuraChill
                      but thats for a weekend for our family of 4. If your cooler has unused space, consider freezing some of your drinking water in 1L or 2L bottles and using them as ice packs also. Keeping foods tightly packed will keep them cooler longer.

You can also pre-cook entrees and freeze them and then just heat and eat.

Bring as many of the above mentioned foods as you can that don't need chilling.
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

For 4 days, only meat and milk truly needs refrigeration. Most vegies will be fine for that long if you keep them out of the sun, as will eggs and salted butter. Cryovac so you don't have to worry about leaking.

Water and ice slurry will keep things colder for longer than ice blocks, but it is a pain when everything is wet. Be sensible about not opening the esky too often. Maybe use one esky for perishable food, and another for drinks etc. Four days isn't long for keeping things cold, so you should be right without a quick trip into town for more ice. Keep the sun off the esky! We will even throw reflective tarps over the fridge to keep it down in really hot weather. A stationary car gets very hot in the sun, so watch for that.

You can do bacon and eggs on the BBQ hotplate over the fire for breakfast. I usually don't fuss over lunch - often have just cold meat and chocolate, but if you are at camp there is nothing to stop you cooking steak or sausages or rissoles on the BBQ. For dinner, consider wrapping vegies in foil to cook in the coals. You can do any casserole type recipes in a camp oven in the coals, or you can use a frypan on the BBQ to cook anything you like that way. Just don't be overambitious as you want to relax too.

I mostly cook exactly the same meals as at home. Except for the potatoes in the fire bit. Most of the traditional camping experience food involve things like damper or jaffles, which aren't very primal, but maybe just for a treat you could do this for the kids.

Comment

I usually make a big batch of chili (red with beef/tomato, etc. or green chiles with pork style) and freeze a container ahead of time to put in the cooler. Also pre-cut carrots, bell pepper, etc. and make a batch of cole slaw. Maybe splurge on some olive oil fried potato chips. Home-made chocolate no-bakes. Red wine. Dark chocolate. What's not to like?

Comment

Beef jerkey
                            Hard boiled eggs
                            Bacon cooked ahead if time
                            Cocoa nibs
                            avocados
                            CO

Steaks, burgers with lettuce wraps...

Salad prep ahead

Have fun!

Comment

I'm going camping soon too and I put in an order to US Wellness meats that is really going to help. They have a lot of additive and sugar free meat that keeps such as their beef sticks, salami, head cheese, liverwurst, branschweiger, pemmican, etc.

No, I don't work for them but I am one of their best customers.

Comment

Working...
                              X