No announcement yet.

Portions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would start by cutting out the snacks. They are healthy, but eating 2 snacks a day in addition to 3 meals a day is overeating, at least in my book.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Screamer View Post
      What else could we roast the veggies in to stop them being so fatty?
      Why on earth would you want to do that??? Keep the fat in your meals and ditch the evening snacks and paleo-fied desserts. If you're hungry in the evening, you didn't eat a big enough dinner.

Without seeing actual portions its hard to say if you're eating too much. A cup of veggies and a palm sized piece of fish seems like NOT ENOUGH FOOD.

If you think you're eating too much then pay close attention to your body when you eat. Stop eating when you're no longer hungry. Serve yourself smaller portions. Were you even hungry to begin with when you started eating? Eat for hunger, not by the clock. Skip a meal now and then and experience what true hunger feels like.
      Sandra
      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Even though it's hard to tell if you are eating "too much" per se, IMO lots of carbs combined with lots of fat is not likely to lead to weight loss, however 'whole' and natural your diet is. At least that's the impression I'm getting from your sample menu. Just my 2.

ETA: Sorry, I had only skimmed the other replies. Seems like someone else already suggested that.
        Last edited by Graycat; 06-04-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
          Why on earth would you want to do that??? Keep the fat in your meals and ditch the evening snacks and paleo-fied desserts. If you're hungry in the evening, you didn't eat a big enough dinner.

Without seeing actual portions its hard to say if you're eating too much. A cup of veggies and a palm sized piece of fish seems like NOT ENOUGH FOOD.

If you think you're eating too much then pay close attention to your body when you eat. Stop eating when you're no longer hungry. Serve yourself smaller portions. Were you even hungry to begin with when you started eating? Eat for hunger, not by the clock. Skip a meal now and then and experience what true hunger feels like.
          She's 5'2....probably not enough food if you're a gentleman, but definitely enough food for a lady. I had a meal today that I thought was going to be way too small, but part of feeling full is the satisfaction you receive from enjoying the meal. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and found that I was pleasantly satisfied satiety-wise. The portions were about what was recommended on Precision Nutrition, and I'm happy to say I will be using them from now on to further my weight-loss goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Screamer View Post
            Thanks guys, all good tips. I just find ita ll so overwhelming.

We are really good with the variety we eat, those veggies certainly aren't what we only eat but do make upa bit of it. We eat all types of meat, but sometimes i worry i'm eating too much, then we bulk up on the veggies which isn't always good.

We do eat berries, and bananas and grapes occasionally, but I thought eating too much fruit was bad for you too? I think the calorie counter might help to keep things down a bit and ditching some of the fattier things like avocado etc
            It sounds like you're doing great; no need to sweat it at all, and if you are finding it overwhelming----which can be easy to do----just relax and remember that you are already eating a nutritious diet and now just working out the kinks. We are all works in progress.

Generally there's no need to worry about eating too much fruit in terms of some arbitrary guidelines. Fruit only becomes an issue if you are eating lots of fat or if you are eating ONLY fruit and no meat/eggs/fish/tubers/vegetables. If you want to eat more fruit, cut some of the fats and you should be just fine. You can even adjust on a day-by-day basis; no need to eat the same macro ratios everyday.

When you say "we bulk up on the veggies, which isn't always good," I'm not sure what you mean. Unless you feel bad doing it (e.g., bloating or heartburn or something), there's no reason eating large amounts of vegetables is bad. In fact, it's great to eat vegetables and meat to satiety.

Comment

I think the thing is, we are constantly seeing other paleoites who literally have the smallest bowl of food when they eat. I'm just not sure what constitutes 'too big' when it comes to portions. Like what is the ratio of meat to vegetables your plate should be for breakfast lunch and dinner? Does it work like that?

Comment

Working...
              X