Sanity and weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Yeah... think of it as buying flattering clothes.
    Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I think this is key, find designs, cuts and colors that are flattering on you. I've seen plenty of women that are overweight and they look fabulous. I have a feeling Magnolia would be good to take shopping, she seems to have a good eye for this sort of thing. I'm pretty good at figuring out what cuts work for my shape but I need help with color! When you get the right clothes you feel attractive right away, you don't have to wait until you have the perfect shape.
    Magnolia, are you free today?

The problem is that I love clothes with a rough edge... baggy jeans, leather jackets, trainers, with a mix of sparkly stuff. Clothes that only look good on me when I'm skinny. So, being this size, I hate shopping, because I can't buy clothes I really like. I haven't been shopping in nearly a year, which is bad even for me (I'm not really one for clothes shopping - I prefer to spend my money on travelling).

Originally posted by Mldami View Post
    I haven't read through all 14 pages of this thread. But I was a compulsive binge eater for most of my life. 20+yrs. For the last 8, I have been a part of Overeaters Anonymous:H.O.W. (kind of a more rigorous OA program). With that 12 step program in place I haven't binged in over 8yrs. I have only been primal for the last 2.5 (almost) yrs.
    If there aren't meetings around you, there are phone and online meetings. PM me for more info if you'd like. It has really saved my life.
    Glad you found something that works for you Mldami Thanks for the offer of help. I'm actually fine in relation to binging though. Now I just have to deal with the overly-critical mentality.

Originally posted by ombat View Post
    You ever think that maybe you're beautiful enough on the inside that it really doesn't matter what's going on on the outside, Yoyo?

I'm proud of you, but I also want to say that women's sizes aren't even consistent. I've not been able to fit into pants that are the exact same "size" as other pants that I do fit in, sizes run "big" or "small" etc. It's all a bunch of BS.
    No Bat... In my mind I'm never good enough! Although I'm getting much more forgiving than I used to be, and in the last few months I have been trying to think like that.

Also, sizes: yeah, I know that. But if it's not a size we care about, it's a size range.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• YogaBare, you can make that look flattering.... What is your overall shape? Hourglass, pear, apple, athletic? And what body part do you LOVE right now?

I mean, you can make a lot of basics look edgy. Swap out baggy jeans for skinny. Buy really flattering boot cuts with a studded belt and pair with boots. Nice boobs? Sequin V neck.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
        YogaBare, you can make that look flattering.... What is your overall shape? Hourglass, pear, apple, athletic? And what body part do you LOVE right now?

I mean, you can make a lot of basics look edgy. Swap out baggy jeans for skinny. Buy really flattering boot cuts with a studded belt and pair with boots. Nice boobs? Sequin V neck.
        Thanks for the tips I'm not sure what my body top is... I have really thin legs, then 37:29:35. Maybe lopsided hour glass? My bely is disproportionate so I'm always trying to cover that. My legs are definitely my best feature. No chest *sad face*.

Well, I do the skinny jeans, leathers, trainers combo a lot. I wear high tops with mini skirts too. On an unrelated note, I'm torn between thinking I should start dressing more an adult (which I am), and planning my next piercing (I'm an artist so I figure I can get away with them?!)
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Hmmm:
          Tbags Los Angeles V-Neck Peasant Dress EM1 Print - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
          Gabriella Rocha Jennifer Dress Coral - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
          Michael Stars Jude Stripe Dolman Dress Taupe - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
          Desigual Nadia Blanco - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

So my advice would be a bunch of short dresses with looser/easy fitting tops. Wear heels, a nude patent pump would be awesome. Play up your legs. I work with a girl built like you and she has a tummy, no boobs. Looks stunning in the kind of very short, loose swingy dresses. You just see a mile of leg.

I'd also make you try on something like this:
          MICHAEL Michael Kors Fulham Stripe Dress Neon Pink - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
          That kind of wrapping can help create a shape and can hide a tummy.

Comment

• Wrap dresses are great too, for a lot of body types. Not really edgy though. You can wear them with knee high leather boots (or shorter booties since you have the legs for it), with a cropped jean or leather jacket on top.

Comment

• I now weigh about 20 pounds more than I did when I had no muscle and was 40 years younger. At that time I was dreadfully unhappy with my body. I'm not now.

At that time I had never done any exercise. Later, I became what I call a serial obsessor. I went through several different sports where I constantly thought about, planned, and worked out on achievement. Eventually I would reach whatever maximum I could and quit, seeing as I am genetically untalented at sports. Now I have physical limitations (bone spurs in my right foot) that keep me from exercising the way many people here do. When I was heavier, that kept me from walking without pain. Now I can walk, and I would like to see how far I can go.

And I dabble in various exercise. In some, progress is slow. In others, I make good progress. It looks like I could do really well competing at bench press in my age group. That's only a small victory, because it's a reflection of the fact that hardly any women of my age lift free weights.

I was out doing an 11 mile walk yesterday in my size 8 jeans and snug-fitting purple t-shirt, and a guy in a little pickup wolf-whistled at me. I didn't see his face, and I doubt he saw mine. I could theoretically be old enough to be his great-grandmother. Yeah, that was a victory. Take'em when you get'em.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                Fuck being skinny. I want to be awesome and unique.
                I had to laugh at this... looking around at Americans, being skinny IS being unique.
                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• I'm not American, I'm Southern Californian. An hour from Malibu where Mark lives. Believe me, it's different here. What comes off the tourist buses and cruise ships is quite shocking. I'm emaciated compared to the average American.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Some thoughts I have had today:

This morning I did 3 sets of 10 pushups! Awesome! I couldn't do a single pushup a few months ago. Next time I'll do sets of 11.

Before lunch, I'm on my way to the food coop, I think to myself, hey, I'm not actually hungry. Maybe I'll take a walk instead.

On my walk I thought about how I should keep noticing when I'm not hungry. Because by not ever noticing, I seem to have convinced myself that I am always hungry. Noticing more often when I'm not actually hungry seems to be sinking in to my brain that maybe I'm not a gluttonous beast.

As I walked, an annoying young guy came up behind me on a skate board and complimented the color of my shirt. I could tell when he saw my 48-year old face he wasn't expecting to be complimenting an old broad. Ha ha, he must have seen my squats-sculpted ass and thought I was sexy. Good for me.

I thought about my Oly class weight lifting videos. I actually did Olympic weight lifting. Someone told my boyfriend, "Dude, you better lift some weights because she's is going to beat you up". Ha ha. It's not true, but I still feel awesome for having taken every step to get where I am today.

Since I have been focusing more on the now and on what I am capable of instead of what I look like and how I compare to others, I have felt a lot better about myself.
                    This rocks!!
                    Push ups are the bane of my CrossFit existence!!!
                    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
                    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Comment

• YB, did you go shopping?
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by fillyone View Post
                        This rocks!!
                        Push ups are the bane of my CrossFit existence!!!
                        Haha! Me too! Pushups and pullups. I'm terrible at them. I scale both (pushup on box and banded pullups) and still can't do that many.

My journal

Comment

• Thanks for the clothing suggestions Magnolia!

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                          YB, did you go shopping?
                          Ha, yes - and didn't buy anything that actually suits my lifestyle... got a cocktail dress!!! It's really nice though And weirdly, I feel more comfortable in snug dresses than I do in my regular clothes.

In other news, the sanity aspect wasn't working so well. I was trying to love and appreciate my body, but it's so bloody hard. Sooo, I decided to do a few days of low carb, just to drop some water weight and feel that little pick-me-up you get from weight loss.

It's that stupid dichotomy again - trying to love myself was becoming more stressful than tweaking my diet.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• And weirdly, I feel more comfortable in snug dresses than I do in my regular clothes.
                            If you look hot in a snug, sexy cocktail dress.... your body is just right.

Comment

• Ha, yes - and didn't buy anything that actually suits my lifestyle... got a cocktail dress!!! It's really nice though And weirdly, I feel more comfortable in snug dresses than I do in my regular clothes.
                              Dresses or skirts with jackets is the basis on my wardrobe. I have never felt comfortable or confident in pants. I think it is far easier to find a flattering dress than pants!

And, yeah, I hear you about the stress of accepting yourself as you are. I regularly have neurotic thoughts about it. I think it stems from the basic philosophical question of "who am I/what am I"?

Even when I read my favorite history or mystery or historic mysteries books I start picking up on body issues and dietary details.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                Dresses or skirts with jackets is the basis on my wardrobe. I have never felt comfortable or confident in pants. I think it is far easier to find a flattering dress than pants!

And, yeah, I hear you about the stress of accepting yourself as you are. I regularly have neurotic thoughts about it. I think it stems from the basic philosophical question of "who am I/what am I"?

Even when I read my favorite history or mystery or historic mysteries books I start picking up on body issues and dietary details.
                                I agree with that - trousers these days are meant for coat hanger women.

You know, a few months ago I watched that movie "Drive", and Christina Hendricks (who plays Joan in "Mad Men") was in it. I couldn't believe how different her beautiful, curvy body looked in skinny jeans.

Clothes these days are not made for curves.

And I hear you on the other stuff. You're not alone! For me it's more about control I think. I feel out of control of everything in my life, and my body is just another thing that I can't beat into submission. At least I don't have an ED anymore, that is a big achievement.

I actually read an account from one ED woman who found out she had cancer, and said that she felt a momentary happiness because she realised she might get skinny from the chemo. Shocking. But sadly so many women have traces of that level of self hate.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X