Thyroid information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thyroid information

Im researching for a post on the thyroid, and going to be ordering a few books, but if anyone has any useful links on the thyroid, iodine, or anything related that would be great. Just post them up! Thanks in advanced.
    sigpic
    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

You may want to research "goitrogenic foods". These are foods that can contribut to goiter (swelling of the thyroid gland). I have been slowly trying to cut them out of my diet as I've had goiter issues. Broccoli, Spinach, Strawberries are all goitrogenic foods. I also avoid all soy products like the plague!

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47
    Last edited by jicamamama; 04-24-2010, 04:53 PM.

Comment

check out thyroid.about.com - Mary knows her stuff and is open to alternative medicine - she brings up issues like Fluoride. Plus everything on the About.com Health channel is vetted by a panel.

Google's new 'scholarly articles' option is really useful.

Comment

For very technical, scientific information:

http://www.thyroidmanager.org/

Comment

Please keep in mind that goitrogenic vegetables (like broccoli and cabbage) are FINE if they're cooked. The problem is with eating them raw. Cooking eliminates the goitrogens. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and eat these veggies regularly.

Comment

I just want to mention that a thyroid group has been started on this forum, if anybody else wants to join!

Comment

Originally posted by Helen in Oz View Post
              check out thyroid.about.com - Mary knows her stuff and is open to alternative medicine - she brings up issues like Fluoride. Plus everything on the About.com Health channel is vetted by a panel.

Google's new 'scholarly articles' option is really useful.
              I agree with this reccomendation as well. Also, their list of "Top Thyroid Docs" was helpful to me in the beginning. I was interested in taking natural (dessicated) thyroid and most CW docs push the synthetics.

Comment

Thanks all!
                sigpic
                In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                  Please keep in mind that goitrogenic vegetables (like broccoli and cabbage) are FINE if they're cooked. The problem is with eating them raw. Cooking eliminates the goitrogens. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and eat these veggies regularly.
                  Unfortunately cooked strawberries just dont do it for me.

That is very good information about cooking goitrogenic foods though. I didn't know that.

Spinach is one of my favorites , so I am very grateful you shared that with me emmie. I'll settle for boiled

Comment

Definitely check out Datis Kharrazian's book- he's at forefront of next-generation thyroid treatment:
                    http://www.thyroidbook.com

He also has some good articles on his blog:
                    http://drknews.com/newsletter-archive/
                    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

First time poster.
                      This is my go to site:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ducwidow View Post
                        First time poster.
                        This is my go to site:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
                        I just checked out that site and it seems like it was designed entirely to market your magic cure.
                        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Im actually going to pick that book up soon hazy, I've heard good stuff. Thanks everyone.
                          sigpic

Comment

"I just checked out that site and it seems like it was designed entirely to market your magic cure. "

I think you misunderstood ducwidow. It's not THEIR site. It's their "go to" site, which I'm thinking means the site they go to for info first.

Stop the thyroid madness has actually been around for quite a while, is recommended by a lot of thyroid suffers because it does have quite a bit of good info regarding testing, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid issues. It can be a bit "passionate" but that is because it was born out of frustration due to the site owner's own inadequate diagnosis and treatment. But there is some good info on it which at least gets people to think about things like T3 supplementation, non-synthetic thyroid treatment, getting adequate tests and reading their results, testing for Hashi's antibodies, etc. And I think anything raising awareness is good.

I'm not sure what you mean by "miracle cure"... the site mostly discusses the appropriate tests and the various thyroid treatments such as porcine thyroid replacement that most doctors don't know anything about. I don't recall there being a cure listed.
                            sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                              "I just checked out that site and it seems like it was designed entirely to market your magic cure. "

I think you misunderstood ducwidow. It's not THEIR site. It's their "go to" site, which I'm thinking means the site they go to for info first.

Stop the thyroid madness has actually been around for quite a while, is recommended by a lot of thyroid suffers because it does have quite a bit of good info regarding testing, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid issues. It can be a bit "passionate" but that is because it was born out of frustration due to the site owner's own inadequate diagnosis and treatment. But there is some good info on it which at least gets people to think about things like T3 supplementation, non-synthetic thyroid treatment, getting adequate tests and reading their results, testing for Hashi's antibodies, etc. And I think anything raising awareness is good.

I'm not sure what you mean by "miracle cure"... the site mostly discusses the appropriate tests and the various thyroid treatments such as porcine thyroid replacement that most doctors don't know anything about. I don't recall there being a cure listed.
                              It just comes across as too sales-y for me to handle. I don't have thyroid problems (as far as I know) but it seems I have a high chance of developing thyroid problems so I'm just curious about how I would know if I had thyroid problems.
                              A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Working...
                              X