my diet and why i'm doing it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my diet and why i'm doing it

I've had a few people ask about my weight loss and how I've done it but just as important is why I've done it this way.

First off I'm a diabetic and its been a bitch to control my blood sugar. Secondly I have a cancer which is being treated by surgery for as long as possible; chemo is reserved until it either becomes invasive, no longer responds to surgery or throws off mets. Radiotherapy will be nasty and is reserved until after chemo.

the main theories behind my plan.
    1) normal body cells grow as well in ketosis; my cancer cells find the conditions hard to grow in.
    2) normal body cells are damaged by high blood glucose; my cancer cells grow extremely well - an 'all you can eat buffet'

Aims; To bring glucose profile to consistently normal as quickly as possible and to maintain ketosis at 4 until glucose profile is normal then it can come down to 2 (blood meter values).

principles of the diet;
    It is an adaptation of the Newcastle University low calorie approach for reversing type 2 diabetes. The diet itself isn't suitable for me as it uses 3 diet shakes and a carbohydrate meal each day and wont sustain ketosis.
    Our adaptation uses the same principles of 800 calories in 4 meals but involves food and we chose primal because of its focus on high quality foods etc. I am using the low carb; moderate protein; high fat approach within the 800 calorie framework.
    carbs around 40g
    protein around 100g
    Fats make up the rest

medication;
    I was using metformin and sitagliptin at the start. I currently use just metformin.
    I supplement with potassium and magnesium as i also have hypokalaemia.
    I take a probiotic multivitamin.

Results
    1) The weight loss; this is important, but isn't actually the focus of the plan -the weight loss has been dramatic. I have lost 49.10lbs since April 18th (44 days).
    2) Blood glucose; at commencement- my blood glucose was wildly abnormal -fasting around 15, 2 hour post-prandial around 18 to 20.
    current - fasting around 7.5, 2 hour post-prandial around 8 to 9.
    3) Cancer; The first surgery, before this plan, showed rapid and aggressive advancement prior to the 2 month point hence the second surgery rapidly following. At 2 months (mid May) post surgery a microscopy exam showed no growth (not 1 visible cell). My next microscopy exam is mid July.

Problems
    The calorie limit was difficult in the first 10 days. Since then hunger is not a problem.
    giving up bread was difficult for the first 10 days. I still crave it occasionally. My husband gave it up too so we could keep it out of the house.
    not eating much fruit has been hard
    I struggled with increasing fat as it was contrary to all other previous advice.
    I have found giving up diet soda very hard.
    I want to smoke.
    Increasing exercise has been hard.
    I find breakfast hard to eat so occasionally use a diet shake. I use a powdered supermarket own brand, use less than half the amount of powder and mix it with water rather than milk so its 6 carbs.

Would I recommend it;
    It certainly is working for me but its supposed to be done under medical supervision. I'm supported by an oncology team and an oncology nutritionist.

I have included the links to Newcastle University's information.
    Reversing Type 2 Diabetes - Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre - Newcastle University
    Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of b... [Diabetologia. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research...eflections.pdf
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research...type2study.pdf
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Hi CarbDodger, I was just thinking about you as I worked pulling weeds and puttering in the garden. Hope all is well. The 800 cal/day diet would be crazy for me I think but as you know I too am trying to bring BG levels down, as well as my weight. This week FBG has ranged from 7.4 to this a.m. 5.7. A couple of hours after a healthy breakfast and 2 cups of coffee (should be only one) my BG was 6.1. weird how it jumps around!
    Now the anti-cancer work you are doing is impressive and I wish the very best for you. Since my godson has cancer it is close to me. Hubby and I are to go the garbage dump soon so I'd better close off. Have a grand day.TTYS

Comment

Hi Carbdodger! Glad to hear you're doing well, keep going and dodge that bread!

Comment

I know that there have been a number of studies on calorie restriction and cancer but you may find, after being in sustained ketosis for a while, that you don't need to be as strict with the calories as long as you stay with the high fat, moderate protein and low carbs.

The reason that calorie restriction works is because it induces ketosis. Even Otzi on his potato hack thing was in ketosis because he was just eating so few calories/day.

I'm not saying back to the all you can eat buffet, but perhaps 1200/day. If you are effectively starving your cancer cells of the glucose they need, then you don't really need to starve the rest of the body.

You might also want to think about an occasional "calorie refeed" day with all keto foods still just larger quantities. I would advocate this if your weight loss stalls or you get seriously profoundly tired feeling (that doesn't go away with sleep).

Otherwise, as long as it is working, don't fix non broken things. I wish you the best.

Comment

I've seen your posts around the place Carbdodger, and I'm glad you started a personal thread so I can give you my well wishes I really admire your determination and resolve to take responsibility for your health and your life. Keep full of all that positive energy!

Speaking of which, I heard a story about a woman who was diagnosed with cancer, and as part of her treatment she resolved to laugh her ass off every day Laughter is amazing for the immune system. She watched a comedy a day: you could also try laughter yoga (depending on where in the Uk you are).

Sending you all the good vibes <3
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Wishing you well on your road to remission and recovery. 800 calories a day is harsh, but if it is working for you, that is all that matters. If I took on that therapy, I'd probably try to do one small meal (150-200 cal) and one large meal to at least end the day with a full belly.

Here's a very low-carb Paleo bread recipe that I used to make: Low-Carb Grain-Free Gluten-Free Bread Rolls | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living (you can reduce the calories by making the coconut flour version) If you ever get the desire, maybe this can tide you over.
            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

mikee5 thanks for the support. Aili you know I admire for getting to grips with the BG straight away.
              When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
              27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                I know that there have been a number of studies on calorie restriction and cancer but you may find, after being in sustained ketosis for a while, that you don't need to be as strict with the calories as long as you stay with the high fat, moderate protein and low carbs.

The reason that calorie restriction works is because it induces ketosis. Even Otzi on his potato hack thing was in ketosis because he was just eating so few calories/day.

I'm not saying back to the all you can eat buffet, but perhaps 1200/day. If you are effectively starving your cancer cells of the glucose they need, then you don't really need to starve the rest of the body.

You might also want to think about an occasional "calorie refeed" day with all keto foods still just larger quantities. I would advocate this if your weight loss stalls or you get seriously profoundly tired feeling (that doesn't go away with sleep).

Otherwise, as long as it is working, don't fix non broken things. I wish you the best.
                You have been an inspiration throughout my path and your advice has been invaluable. My nutritionist says similar things ie "do not become obsessed with ketosis" I'm not so much driven by weight loss as by my blood glucose meter and the microscopies (but these are 2 months apart so less easy to anticipate).
                I'm not expecting the weight loss to continue at this rate, but today I was looking at my leg (painting my toenails) and this moving thing in my calf caught my eye- its a muscle; I can see them again! They havent vanished and my body hasnt cannibalised them. That felt good and heartily reassuring.
                I will continue to follow your reasoning as its always so considered. Thanks for your input its always appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                  I've seen your posts around the place Carbdodger, and I'm glad you started a personal thread so I can give you my well wishes I really admire your determination and resolve to take responsibility for your health and your life. Keep full of all that positive energy!

Speaking of which, I heard a story about a woman who was diagnosed with cancer, and as part of her treatment she resolved to laugh her ass off every day Laughter is amazing for the immune system. She watched a comedy a day: you could also try laughter yoga (depending on where in the Uk you are).

Sending you all the good vibes <3
                  I appreciate your posts and see many. I read a lot here- much better to learn about food and others perspectives and their struggles than sit here thinking about eating.
                  I'm a great believer in laughter myself and sometimes the posts, the comments here and the interactions crack me up. Its good to feel like laughing actually. The cancer took a lot of light out of my life for a while

Comment

Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
                    You have been an inspiration throughout my path and your advice has been invaluable. My nutritionist says similar things ie "do not become obsessed with ketosis" I'm not so much driven by weight loss as by my blood glucose meter and the microscopies (but these are 2 months apart so less easy to anticipate).
                    I'm not expecting the weight loss to continue at this rate, but today I was looking at my leg (painting my toenails) and this moving thing in my calf caught my eye- its a muscle; I can see them again! They havent vanished and my body hasnt cannibalised them. That felt good and heartily reassuring.
                    I will continue to follow your reasoning as its always so considered. Thanks for your input its always appreciated
                    No, I was saying yes, DO focus on ketosis (maybe not obsessed but definitely focused). I just meant that you may not need to be so strict about calories in order to keep ketotic. The recommendation for lowering calories is for people on non-keto foods. They need that extra push of CR to stay ketotic (or to get started on ketosis). If you stay with the right foods, you may be able to relax a bit on the quantities.

And yes, finding your muscles again is awesome. I can locate my triceps.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                      Wishing you well on your road to remission and recovery. 800 calories a day is harsh, but if it is working for you, that is all that matters. If I took on that therapy, I'd probably try to do one small meal (150-200 cal) and one large meal to at least end the day with a full belly.

Here's a very low-carb Paleo bread recipe that I used to make: Low-Carb Grain-Free Gluten-Free Bread Rolls | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living (you can reduce the calories by making the coconut flour version) If you ever get the desire, maybe this can tide you over.
                      800 calories is harsh but every one is a good calorie eaten for a good reason so its not as bad as it sounds.
                      The meal pattern is important at the moment. I did try the eat when hungry advice but I get hyperglycaemia spikes. eating 200 approx x 4 gives me a smoother profile currently even though its not natural to me so its worth staying with for a while.

I already have your recipe by the way. I have a primal folder with recipes in. I will try it when my carb count is less restrictive and i can trust myself a bit more. My relationship with bread is fraught, its my only binge food and a comfort food. Its currently barred from the house

Comment

800 calories is harsh but every one is a good calorie eaten for a good reason so its not as bad as it sounds.
                        The meal pattern is important at the moment. I did try the eat when hungry advice but I get hyperglycaemia spikes. eating 200 approx x 4 gives me a smoother profile currently even though its not natural to me so its worth staying with for a while.

I already have your recipe by the way. I have a primal folder with recipes in. I will try it when my carb count is less restrictive and i can trust myself a bit more. My relationship with bread is fraught, its my only binge food and a comfort food. Its currently barred from the house
                        Smart move to ban it from the house.

I also have found that I don't need as many calories if every single one of them is packed with nutrition. 800 calories/day of WW food would be torture but primal food is more nutrient dense.

When I was really losing on Primal I was eating about 1000-1200/day and everybody was wringing their hands about "starvation mode" etc. The thing is, once you are in ketosis, you are not really only getting that low intake. Your body is supplementing it with a tasty fat snack off your thighs and rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          No, I was saying yes, DO focus on ketosis (maybe not obsessed but definitely focused). I just meant that you may not need to be so strict about calories in order to keep ketotic. The recommendation for lowering calories is for people on non-keto foods. They need that extra push of CR to stay ketotic (or to get started on ketosis). If you stay with the right foods, you may be able to relax a bit on the quantities.

And yes, finding your muscles again is awesome. I can locate my triceps.
                          It gets a bit complex balancing everything to be honest.
                          I understand more about ketosis now my meter works (I'm glad I get those strips free -they are pricey!) The calories is much more about the glucose profile and will probably persist for a couple more months. Its reckoned 6 months reverses type 2 and as I'm pancreatic and reacting so well that it will be quicker. A lot of the calorie restrictions and spaced meals is about resting beta cells and allowing them to heal and regenerate if they can.
                          I feel so well though but will be glad when I don't have to count everything.

i reckon i get about 2500 cals of munchies provided by my flab!

Comment

It gets a bit complex balancing everything to be honest.
                            I understand more about ketosis now my meter works (I'm glad I get those strips free -they are pricey!) The calories is much more about the glucose profile and will probably persist for a couple more months. Its reckoned 6 months reverses type 2 and as I'm pancreatic and reacting so well that it will be quicker. A lot of the calorie restrictions and spaced meals is about resting beta cells and allowing them to heal and regenerate if they can.
                            I feel so well though but will be glad when I don't have to count everything.
                            Ah, I see. I didn't have to deal with the diabetic aspect. That is a lot to juggle.

You are doing a great job in the face of a lot of obstacles at once. I find you inspirational.

Comment

Paleobird - I must tell you this - I did buy a lb of pet mince but when I put it in the pan I saw an eye look back at me. my dog really enjoyed it! I need a better source obviously

Comment

Working...
                              X