No announcement yet.

Whole 30 for June 2013 - Who's In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of us actually follow Whole30 to a tee? Do we buy our bacon from US Wellness Meats or from our butcher down the street who may use a teensy tiny bit of sugar? Do we all buy 100% organic vegetables and fruits? Do we all avoid every single drop of condiments? If not, then we're not truly doing Whole30... but that's not the point. The point is that we're doing the best we can with what we have available to us and with what fits into our family budgets. When it's your first one, you're bound to make mistakes. I ate a cupcake on my first one, and then only made it to day 25. Whole30 is hard unless you're used to the Primal Blueprint or Paleo way of eating and have done it for a while. This is my easiest Wholewhatever, but I've also been primal for a year.

Whole30 is supposed to be an elimination diet. Eliminate possible inflammatory foods for 30 days, see if they affect you when it's done. I agree that it should be done properly if used to find food intolerances. But as a reset, like most of us use it for, slips are negligible as long as you make them very seldom. For me, my slips include condiments, commercial meats, etc. I'm not 100% compliant, but my goals are not elimination to find food intolerances. My goals are to reset and rebuild self-discipline around food. I think how closely you follow the Whole30 is dependent on your goals.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

I pretty much follow W30 to a T, i.e not a drop of condiments, home-made bacon, everything organic that I can buy organic, no butter, etc, but I dunno. My sardines in the can say sardines and spring water. Who is to say that it's true? So, I agree, the best I can do.

So, I am almost done with my kimchi, maybe 2-3 days left worth of it, and after that I will do the anit-inflammation thing with no eggs and no nightshades. I have never eliminated eggs before, so it will be a bit challenging.

Anyway, today I am playing with the 15th century style of eating, been reading the Richard the III book, and the 15th century wisdom was get up at 5 am, dinner at 9 am, supper at 5 pm and go to bed at 9 pm. A bit different hours, but I am gonna try two large meals (~ 10 am and 6 pm) today. Just for kicks. That's what the day offs are for, lol.

Just brpought in a load of groceries and soil, now garden awaits!
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I just finished a Whole 60 that was very strict. It's certainly possible to do, but it isn't easy. I don't know - I've gotten used to saying 'no' to things because I have celiac disease and I'm very sensitive, so a lot of things are out for me anyway. I'm sure that made it a lot easier for me. Also, all my family and friends know I've got celiac, so no one thinks it's weird when I turn down food or show up for a visit with my own meals, so I don't get the pressure that many people probably do regarding the diet.

I also found several dishes I liked and just kept eating them. Breakfast for most of my Whole 60 was sweet potato curry with poached eggs. Lunch was a salad with a can of fish, dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. Dinner changed more often, but was frequently grass-fed beef with a big plate of vegetables. My husband likes to cook, so he also made us a lot of Indian curries that were compliant. I didn't eat out at all, and I didn't keep things that were off-plan in the house.

I do think Whole30 emphasizes a perfection that may not be necessary for many people. But it is only 30 days, and you may surprise yourself with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by calee View Post
          It's like saying you're. Vegan but you eat bacon.
          My observation is that many people do it many ways in an attempt to learn how elimination eating impacts them. And only having realized how 'specific' W30 is, I'm finding the way there. Completely understand and want to experience the value of a strict adherence W30. But I won't allow desire for perfection to keep me from attempting to learn how this will benefit me.

For nearly 20 years I tried to be a vegetarian, never realizing how that was impacting my health negatively. And always wondered why, when I got my regular migaines, did I crave turkey, if I was a vegetarian? I always felt a little guilty calling myself a Veg when I knew protein helped me.

That's how I found Primal; researching protein and migraines. So theres an example where saying your 'vegan but eating bacon' actually brought me to a place of health. It's not a negative. For me, it's being open to learning what works.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

I also feel that one of the values of W30 is noticing when you trip up on something that is not obvious and eliminating this product in the future. For example, grain mustard I normally buy have something added to it, not just mustard. So, no mustard for me, lol.

It is also more complicated to maintain W30 when you are the cook of the family.

Comment

I learned my chocken breasts had carageenan in the broth they used to plump them up and make them bigger. Never would have expected it and found that by accident. Shtuff happens.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I'm now at day 7 and doing well! However I am about to go out to lunch so there is a wee bit of trepidation there! I have no idea what sort of foods will be at the place I'm going... Ahh well it's challenges like these that make us stronger in the long run!

I'm also not looking forward to facing Sunday as I'll be spending a lot of hors in a location where a lot of non compliant food will be available!

Comment

Good luck Iron Fireling.

Comment

Ahh well lunch was so so... There was really nothing compliant on the menu so I just did the best I could with a salad (and had a glass of water).

However, one of my biggest issues in the past has been letting myself get sabotaged by imperfection. I figure that if I can BE imperfect on occasion and not let myself get off course then I'm winning!

Comment

Oh, zut. I had a totally smashing day yesterday, except for licking finger when I was packing my daughter's lunch - she had her very own sauce made and wanted the rest packed with her shrimps) and it was a concoction of tomato paste, honey and soy. So, seeing I want to try the anti-inflammatory protocol, I will just start this tomorrow (last egg in the office today) and go till the end of the first week of July. Other than that, a good training session (though PT mixed up the times, so I lifted on my own), lotssa extra lifting with soil, manure and a huge bag (107 L) of peat (great dealdlift, lol!) and almost finished my very last (I SWEAR!) flowerbed.

Went to bed totally too late: hubby worked late, daughter wanted to sword-play and watch Star Treck TNG (we are rising a proper nerd, after all) and I could not tear myself away from my Richard the III book So, in the morning I was groggy and barely remembered my tooth fairy duty and had to have a cold shower... so no forecast checking since yesterday. A MISTAKE!

Our ever-changing weather has really thrown wrench in my plans for today. The plan was to walk to/from bus & at lunch (90 min) and to edge the yard (which takes about an hour). But as I was walking for the bus, the first raindrops fell. I opened the forecast at work, and holy cow. Gym day, gotta be. I have some outdoor running stuff in the office, but I do not have ear-buds. I will try to pick up cheap (?) ear-buds downtown during lunch (hopefully they have them somewhere on sale!) and will see if the gym monitor can hook up the bag & dole out the gym gloves for me. It can work out yet. Too bad I have no swimsuit at work, would not mid a soak in the sauna. Maybe I can pick a top in the Superstore, since my gym shorts will do as the bottoms for sauna....

Comment

Day 40 for me. Doing well.

Comment

Okay, my last egg just went down! I am gonna make kimchi-enoki soup for supper, and no nightshades/eggs after that till July 7th. I am a bit worried, but I have meat cravings lately anyway, and just ordered extra grass-fed ground beef, so should be fine, me thinks.

BTW, I had shrimp yesterday with my kiddo and it was tasting sweet more like lobster. I also think it looked different. Looked it up, apparently it was rock shrimp, a bit different type. Hmm, something new every day.
                          Last edited by Leida; 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I'm about ready to give up! I need butter and bacon.

Comment

Hey, hang in there. My bacon has paprika on it, so no bacon for me either. Did you try mushed avocado with salt instead of butter? I like that, and don't like butter....

Okay, no eggs, but still have one serving left of the kimchi soup. I do miss eggs, but we'll see.

The rains did not come, so got a lot of yard work completed. Now just need to install edging around the new beds & keep on weeding.

On the low side, my skin condition is worsening. The inflammation on the face is not that pronounced, but I am getting patches of kinnda dry itchy skin on my upper body. I am not sure what's up with that???
                              Last edited by Leida; 06-10-2013, 05:46 AM.

Comment

the weirdness of a body cleansing: my nose has been runny, even though I haven't had dairy in almost 2 months! hmph!

Leida,could your rash be some kind of contact-dermatitis from something in your yard?

I think at some point I will do the auto-immune thing, and drop nightshades and eggs. just not ready for that yet. I am still struggling with some cravings, but usually I'm just hungry when it happens, so I eat approved, real food. my joints are not swollen or painful, and I feel good in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X