Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coconut milk - why didnt anyone tell me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut milk - why didnt anyone tell me!

I finallydecided to open the can of coconut milk I bought when going primal 2.5 months ago...OMG that stuff is delicious...should be illegal lol

So is it ok to have say 1/2c after dinner as a dessert? My brand has guar gum in it...is that bad? R there any us brands without additives?

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the BPA lined cans, if that's what you are using. Ideally, you want coconut milk that only contains coconut and water.
    Aroy-D is available in paper cartons.

Comment

Aroy-D is what paleobird recommended, and I've purchased several cartons since.
      Last edited by diene; 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM. Reason: cans --> cartons

My journal

Comment

My next step is to try and make my own. Some friends held a demonstration recently about making your own, it was (or at least looked) surprisingly easy. All you need is a coconut, a blender, and either cheesecloth or a nut-milk bag. From one $2-3 coconut they got more than a blender full of coconut milk!

Comment

I just checked amazon for aroy...I'm assuming I want the coconut cream not coconut milk right?

Comment

definitely want coconut cream, it's just that some cans/containers say coconut milk...but generally coconut milk is more liquid like a milk substitute.

i wouldn't worry about guar gum, Mark had a post on that.
            The Wonderful World of Coconut Products | Mark's Daily Apple

the only thing to be careful of is that your tummy might initially react to the guar gum if you're consuming a large amount too suddenly. but just go with and test it out. if you can make it great! but from what i've seen almost all commercial varieties have guar gum. i agree with Graycat about the BPA lining. best to get those without if possible.

oh and for non-dairy creamer i add a few tablespoons of coconut oil to a can and mix (you can also add an egg or egg yolk but not necessary). it's a great substitute!

Comment

Can I just confirm creamed coconut is also just as good for you? I buy the biona organic creamed coconut 200g blocks which you just mix with water to make coconut milk.

Comment

Originally posted by aprimalmomma View Post
                I finallydecided to open the can of coconut milk I bought when going primal 2.5 months ago...OMG that stuff is delicious...should be illegal lol

So is it ok to have say 1/2c after dinner as a dessert? My brand has guar gum in it...is that bad? R there any us brands without additives?

congratulations

you have journeyed beyond the false warnings of saturated fats, the rewards are now yours to reap
                beautiful
                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

Comment

The Goya brand of Coconut Milk does not have any guar gum or other additives.

I think coconut cream is what is put into drinks like Pina Coladas. Coconut Milk is a bit thinner, but does have some thick cream on top that you can blend in. I use it in recipes instead of milk or cream.

Comment

I get cartons of coconut milk at Trader Joes or Kroger, it's in the same area as rice milk, soy milk, sunflower milk, etc. It's not chilled, so look in the aisles; check the baking aisle. The kind I get at TJ's is just coconut milk, probably with some water added. I also get coconut creamer which I am pretty sure is just 100% coconut milk without any watering down.

Is it okay to have for dessert? Why not? A tasty naturally found liquid seems pretty Primal to me.
                    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Originally posted by aprimalmomma View Post
                      I just checked amazon for aroy...I'm assuming I want the coconut cream not coconut milk right?
                      They are the same thing except for the water content. It is cheaper and easier to store if you buy the cream. You can always dilute it later if you want.

Comment

One more step to being free of grocery stores. Now if Costco would just do their awesome online tp deal more often. heh. Thanks to the OP and everyone for the info!
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I actually eat nothing from the grocery store anymore...trader joes, fresh market and the internet meet all of my needs...just go for the non-primals I live with and houshold products.

Comment

I tried only homemade coconut, made from coconut milk plus water, I can't say that its very delicious but maybe I was just doing something wrong. I've heard many times that canned coconut milk is much more delicious so I'm also going to try it because coconut milk benefits are numerous. Here is also some info about the nutritional value of coconut milk.
                            Last edited by KathyWalt; 09-26-2013, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I like to store it in a cool place so I can poke a hole through the fat that rises and drain off some of the liquid. Then it's even more creamy. I also go to Asian markets and get the coconut cream that says its for desserts. I think they use younger coconut. It tastes a lot more fragrant or something.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X