What's Your Grocery Budget?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Grocery Budget?

We are a family of five and it seems like we overspend on food no matter if it's SAD or Primal. What's a "normal" food budget on PB? How much do you all spend per month?

We're looking forward to your input -- Hopefully it'll help us budget better!

$200 per week for four of us.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

We spend $100 per week for two adults. This money goes towards dinners. We usually spend about $50-$60 on pasture-raised meats namely grass-fed beef (ground and brisket), pastured pork (ground, hocks, jowls, belly) and pastured eggs. We spend about $20-$30 on (mostly organic) veggies and $0-$10 on canned items like coconut milk, canned fish, etc... Lunch money comes directly from our own funds. I usually spend about $20 on a big hunk of meat (pork roast, chicken, etc) and about $10 on veggies to make a stir fry that will last all week. We aren't willing to sacrifice quality nor are we willing to spend more on food, so we buy cheaper cuts, which we prefer anyways. I find the key is planning meals ahead. If you are looking for some cost effective recipes, I suggest you check out health-bent.com It's my go to for recipes.

Comment

We spend between $100 and $150 each week (2 adults) depending on if we need to restock some things. I really recommend The Primal Blueprint Meal Plan. It helped to get our costs under control.
        Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

Comment

$100-$150 a week for 2 of us

Comment

I estimate I spend around 35-45 per week for one person. I live at home and so rent pays for some food but I always go out and buy more food myself. I'd eat more but I earn a tiny amount so I can't!

The family doesn't realise how much I eat nor can get over the fact that quality/type of food is much more important than quantity when it comes to "being thin". All my family are overweight or obese and they don't even eat that much food, it's just refined grains for 80% of their diet. My twin even goes to the gym thinking this will help him loose his "man boobs"... Very sad that after months of doing this and not changing his diet, he won't accept that what he eats affects his body.

Sorry for the rant!

Comment

Whew! I thought I was overspending as I have been buying meat from WF lately.

Comment

We spend $100 per week for 2 adults. This is a little less than I spent on SAD, and the same for "Healthy Grain Heavy" and Primal. We tend to eat VERY well, mostly because we cook 3 meals a day and eating out is a rare treat. We have been transitioning from CAFO to grass-fed/woodlot raised meats in the past couple of months as I source good local meats, so this figure may need some adjustment later in the year. My husband still eats small amount of some grains, so I probably spent and average of $6 a week on bread/cereal/rice. Going to the Farmer's Market is also bumping up our grocery budget, but I'm not sure how that will play out yet. We love meeting and getting to know the people who are raising our food.

Comment

Honestly I don't budget grocery. I spend what I need to in order to feed me and my family the best available stuff. I'll cut other bills out before I consider the grocery money. My TV, air, heat, and internet can all go by the wayside before my good food can. Gotta have your priorities.

Comment

We are a family of 4. The kids are 10 & 12 and eat adult-sized quantities (or more!). We easily spend about $300/week for ALL food and beverages including lunches out for my dh.

Comment

For me it cycles, some weeks it's well over $200, but when I'm recently stocked on staples and my freezer is stocked from cheap meat deals I've gotten In previous weeks I can spend as little as $50 per week just to restock fruit, veggies and dairy. We're a family of 3 and I am a couponer so I went from $50 to $80 a week bill on SAD to $200 plus a week when we switched to primal. It was rough! Get a costco membership it will help, they have cheap coconut oil, almond butter, meats, organic veggies, eggs,organic butter, heavy cream, daisy brand sour cream that has no added junk, etc.

Also even though I can rarely coupon for food anymore I still coupon for everything else, I never pay for toothpaste, toothbrushes, deorderant, mouthwash, over the counter meds, cosmetics, feminine products, hair products, shampoo and conditioner etc because there are always deals that make these free at drug store chains. The money I save on that goes to my grocery bill.
                      Veronica
                      High weight: 263.8 lbs
                      Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                      ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                      Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                      Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

We spend about $180 on average. Family of 7

I purchase all my produce at Sprouts (farmers market) in Southern CA and save a ton. I fill up my cart to the top with veggies and fruits. I drop $60 on average there. Then go to the local store to buy all the other things for the family like all the diary, eggs, bacon, lunch meats, breads, etc...spend $120 there...basically many of the SAD things.

Luckily my husband is a hunter and we have a freezer full of venison. Every Thanksgiving I buy up to 6 turkeys to save throughout the year. We smoked one last weekend and we still have left overs plus I make meals out of that and freeze... ....Christmas time I stock up on Hams and bought 4 last year...big ones! St. Patrick's day I got 4 Briskets...at the end it helps with such a big gang. I coupon when I have time.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your feedback! We are budgeting about $200 a week for food -- maybe half of that for meat alone. Hope to make it through!

Comment

If you live in the city and have a multitude of stores to choose from within a 1 mile radius (or if you have a car), you could save a lot by buying different items at different places.

I use either a local grocer or the farmer's market for fresh veggies/fruits, Trader Joe's for coconut oil/kerrygold/$2.99 per lb "bacon ends" which are really just whole pieces of center-cut thick bacon/ frozen fruits and veggies, a Middle Eastern supermarket for spices/tea/coffee/nuts, and a butchershop for grassfed meats.
                            ------
                            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

The problem with couponing for non-food stuff is, once you start reading their ingrediants and understanding how toxic it is, then you stop doing that too. Our skin absorbs the chemicals in deodorant, makeup, lotion, everything - so it s so important to find stuff without chemicals (and especially feminine products!).
                              Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

Working...
                              X