Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Be Counting Calories?

I'm just wondering about this...

My weight loss has been a bit stalled out for around 2 months. My personal trainer thinks I should lower my calorie count, which sort of varies between 2,000 to 2,200, to 1,800. I dunno though. Sometimes I dip that low or lower naturally, but if I try to do it deliberately I generally feel hungry. Should I just wait for my weight loss to resume naturally? I'm around 250 lbs, 5'4 and female so I have a long way to go. Thanks!
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Maybe track for a couple of weeks just to get an idea where you stand, then re-evaluate.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      Maybe track for a couple of weeks just to get an idea where you stand, then re-evaluate.
      This.

Knowing your base resting metabolic rate for maintenance and then tracking for a little while to see where you fall in regards to toal calories vs. energy expenditure is useful. But you don't have to anal track it forever. In fact, I rarely do now. Once I got used to the level where my body sort of just felt "right" (which did require playing around with overall caloric intake a bit) I stopped worrying about it and just started going with the flow a bit more.

I eat a little more on lifting days but just a bit.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Yes I now have to count calories. No fun at all LOL

Comment

200 cal should make 0 difference being 5'4 250 female.

I would look at in no order

1. Insulin response via meal frequency
          2. Sugar carb response(fruit) also in relation to insulin
          3. Inflammation caused by allergy or lack of micro nutrient

Comment

If you have a trainer, then you're working out which means building muscle. Continue to eat intuitively and measure, don't weigh. Let your clothes tell you what's working
            Sandra
            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              Yes this sounds right.
              I did just that to put on weight- In doing so, I realized I needed to increase calories by about 15%.
              The calorie counting exercise 'recalibrated' what I saw as the right amount of food to eat - after that I stopped counting and just ate the new normal amount.

Comment

Plateaus are really normal as your body resets! Make sure that as you lose you are reducing your caloric intake to fit your new body! A smaller body needs less fuel. I'd track for a week and then readjust basted on what you find. I'm in total agreement with other suggestions about insulin ect.
                Good luck with your journey!

Comment

Out of interest - how do people count the calories in fresh foods - vegetables, fruits, meats, eggs etc?
                  Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Originally posted by Owen View Post
                    Out of interest - how do people count the calories in fresh foods - vegetables, fruits, meats, eggs etc?
                    then there's something else: thermogenic effect of food is dependent on meal size! So if you ingest 1g of protein which is usually reported as 4kcal/g, its thermogenic effect (energy spent to metabolize it during digestion, or energy lost for its being metabolized) will be greater if you eat a big meal rather than a small! So you may end up effectively eating 3kcal per gram of protein instead of 4 ...

Tricky, isn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by dkJames View Post
                      then there's something else: thermogenic effect of food is dependent on meal size! So if you ingest 1g of protein which is usually reported as 4kcal/g, its thermogenic effect (energy spent to metabolize it during digestion, or energy lost for its being metabolized) will be greater if you eat a big meal rather than a small! So you may end up effectively eating 3kcal per gram of protein instead of 4 ...

Tricky, isn't it ?
                      Wow that is even trickier, indeed.

To be honest I only consider calorie counting to be useful if you're eating foods that your own body cannot measure the intake of - i.e processed foods - and since i almost never eat them, I don't count calories either. I saw someone on here post a general principle of paleo which is that you are eating foods that your body can monitor and when you've had enough, you'll stop and not be hungry again until you need more. It works, and the longer you eat this way, the better it works.
                      Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

I think tracking, to see where you are at now, definitely. If you decide you need to reduce your calories, take a look at intermittent fasting, and alternate day 'fasting'. Those are both alternatives to the standard 'low-calories all the time' plans that may have such a bad effect on your metabolism.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen View Post
                          If you measure out a cup of something, say spinach, AFTER it's cooked, look at the caloric total of the cooked food.

But if you measured the cup out BEFORE you cooked it, basically when it was still raw, take the raw caloric total in one cup.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I have been counting my calories for a long time, using livestrong.com/myplate. I tend to be somewhere between 2k and 2,200. Sometimes I dip lower. Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Maybe some fasting might help.
                            Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                              I have been counting my calories for a long time, using livestrong.com/myplate. I tend to be somewhere between 2k and 2,200.
                              same here with me (well ok I only tray when I'm eating right - ie on and off for years)
                              .. thu if I don't track then I can/do easly get way more cals very quickly and without trying.
                              04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
                              01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 428 lbs
                              06/23/2015 Current weight : 288 lbs
                              12/31/2015 Goal weight : 208 lbs

Comment

Working...
                              X