Nailing the blood test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nailing the blood test

(Sorry to spam with so many questions, at least I can account for a couple of people going primal!)

I'm having a blood test two months from now, and its results will surely influence if I can continue with this diet with ease or facing daily arguments with my parents.

Diet (daily):
    -Lean meat three times a day in big quantities
    -One can of atlantic sardines with olive oil
    -Some veggies with lemon juice (could eat more, don't want to spend three hours a day eating)
    -Two apples a day
    -Olive oil and butter (more than 50g of each every day)

Blacklist:
    -Fast and processed food
    -Cereals
    -Legumes
    -Nuts (IBS*)
    -Potatoes and sweet potatoes (low nutritional density)
    -Dairy (well, some cheese or a yogurt rarely)

Exercise (to start soon):
    -Low intensity running (55%-75%) thrice a week for an hour
    -Standard primal workouts twice a week
    -Sprinting once a week

Sleep (to stabilize soon):
    -9.5 hours of sleep every day
    -A 30 minute nap at the right time
    -Segmented sleep (a.k.a waking up in the middle of the night)
    -The secret to waking up euphoric every single damn day of my life (yes, I want you to ask me)

So, do you think I'm at risk of low calcium/iron or high uric acid or anything that might appear in the blood test? This might be either another obstacle to going primal or my last hope to convince my parents about diet.

Thanks for your help

*No cereals, no legumes, no nuts, no IBS. After four years of suffering it's gone!

Why just lean meat? And potatoes are actually incredibly nutrient-dense with quality plant protein.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
      Why just lean meat? And potatoes are actually incredibly nutrient-dense with quality plant protein.
      +1

Also, if yoru blood test includes being worried about high LDL, taking brazil nuts (selenium) and seaweed (iodine) could help with that.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Your parents decide the of structure your diet? How old are you?

There is not enough fat here. You need fattier cuts of meat and red meat because a low carbohydrate diet will not provide you with sufficient energy without at least 70-100g of fat even being at the higher end of the Primal 'carbohydrate curve' chart theory. However, you are at risk of increasing your cholesterol levels (the issue with cholesterol is highly disputed by low carbers vs mainstream/government nutritionists). Your parents would probably be advised of the negative risks of high cholesterol levels. I suggest you research this first and read through a few articles posted here and come to your own conclusion or even possibly attempt to convince your parents.

If you want Primal to work without all the essential fat (and Primal is a high/moderate fat diet) you need to eat copious and excessive amounts of starches, fruit and carbs to get to a higher carbohydrate level (200-300) to require a lower fat intake. I'm sure you don't want to munch on vegetables and gulp 10 bananas a day, because getting to that carbohydrate level on Primal turns into an eating contest.

Have you considered a trip to the health store to purchase some supplements?

Comment

(j3nn) Potatoes nutrient-dense? Are you sure?

(Mikee5) I choose what to eat, though my parents limit somewhat that, for example by preventing me from eating more than 1 egg a day. I'm 15 years old.

I can't find much fatty meat there, and I can't find any high fat food I can eat regularly (other than olive oil and butter, my parents won't let me eat more than 1 egg a day) and it's almost impossible to argue with my parents, because my mom is Mrs Conventional Wisdom and my dad is Mr Life Experience.

My parents won't let me buy supplements, and they're probably expensive too! And about fats I might as well triplicate my olive oil and butter intake if I thought it was necessary, 200-300 grams of carbohydrates doesn't seem healthy, can't I survive only with huge amounts of olive oil and butter? (I mean, to get enough fats)

Comment

Will your parents let you take more than 1 egg a day if YOU pay for them?

Just a thought. They seem to be stuck in the old "eggs are evil" thought patterns of CW.

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
              +1

Also, if yoru blood test includes being worried about high LDL, taking brazil nuts (selenium) and seaweed (iodine) could help with that.
              Selenium is extremely rich in meat, egg, and dairy products so there is almost no need to use Brazil Nuts to supplement with it. I just tracked a day in animal products for me because I was curious and I'm at 300% or more of recommended intake most days without the Brazil Nuts. Are we talking about supplementing superhuman doses to lower LDL here? Selenium poisoning is real enough that even Mark has cautioned being careful with Brazil Nuts.

Regarding iodine, it is a bio-accumulative. Our thyroids hold onto it until it is needed. You can and should supplement a little bit ONCE or TWICE a week if you eat a diet low in it, but you can take a hypothyroid and make it a HYPERthyroid if you go too much with this nutrient.

Just cautions so that our OP doesn't suddenly try to megadose either of these nutrients to try and lower LDL.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

(rcav8r)
                Nope, is not a money thing, my parents basically buy me anything I want (I don't ask for much, I don't even have a mobile phone).

(Drumroll)
                Excellent, I can't eat nuts (IBS) and I don't like salty foods, so that's a relief.

Comment

Can you talk your parents into reading the PB book, so they can get a perspective from your point of view?

My other question wasn't about cost, it was more about control. Would they still not allow you to have more than 1 egg a day if you offered to buy them?

Comment

Well rcav8r, my parents' level of english is probably not much better than yours of spanish (did I mention that I'm a spaniard?) and I'm 99.9% sure that offering to buy the eggs won't convince them, they just care about my health, while ironically trying to ruin it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post

(Mikee5) I choose what to eat, though my parents limit somewhat that, for example by preventing me from eating more than 1 egg a day. I'm 15 years old.

I can't find much fatty meat there, and I can't find any high fat food I can eat regularly (other than olive oil and butter, my parents won't let me eat more than 1 egg a day) and it's almost impossible to argue with my parents, because my mom is Mrs Conventional Wisdom and my dad is Mr Life Experience.

My parents won't let me buy supplements, and they're probably expensive too! And about fats I might as well triplicate my olive oil and butter intake if I thought it was necessary, 200-300 grams of carbohydrates doesn't seem healthy, can't I survive only with huge amounts of olive oil and butter? (I mean, to get enough fats)
                      Yes. Potatoes are excellent! Here's a good post with some nutritional data: The Paleo Potato Debate: Sweet Potatoes vs White Potatoes
                      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post

You live in Spain and you can't find fatty meat? What about pork? Embutidos? (I suppose embutidos aren't strictly paleo but I do like to follow the local customs

Comment

Spanish supermarkets are only slightly better than american ones in those aspects, is not like we have lots and lots of local fatty meats, I've found only "panceta" (bacon) but it's very disgusting and basically nothing else.

Comment

Once you've got your blood tests you'll probably have a lot more ammunition to support your arguments but keep in mind your parents haven't done a bad job within the limits of their knowledge. You aren't overweight for starters; unlike a lot of individuals your age and you sound comparatively fit. You're also bright and even though they're putting blockers on what you'd like to do they have obviously encouraged you to think for yourself.
                            Try and get them to buy lamb, even lean lamb is comparatively fatter and you can point out lamb is the least interfered with meat,its not given hormones and antibiotics and is grass fed so is a very good choice as a meat, its not factory farmed and is an 'ethical' choice- that might fit in with their existing life style choices
                            Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-29-2013, 11:42 PM.
                            When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                            27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                            new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

You’re 15 – I assume healthy apart from IBS that is presumably controlled by your diet.

So what is the point of the blood test and also “nailing it”?

Do you think you need it to get your parents off your back for eating real food? (and allow you to have more than 1 egg a day)
                              Or are they bothering you because you seem too food obsessive (for a 15YO)?

Comment

Working...
                              X