Nailing the blood test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    So it's the equivalent of passing a compulsory medical exam for work, or for medical insurance.
    The “pass” is to keep the officials happy that all the official ‘boxes are ticked’ – not to do with health of the individual.

On that note, often people “cheat” (eat less fat, take certain supplements, fast, etc ) exclusively to lower their cholesterol to trick the lab test so they can keep their job or insurance. After doing this (and reducing their health in the process by some extreme practices) they go back to their healthier diet/lifestyle (higher fats etc).

So you’re maybe trying to do the same – lowering your health, to get lab test numbers that ‘prove’ you’re healthy so you can keep your “job/hobby” (that is continue to be allowed eat Paleo) .

It kind of reminds me of a medical joke:
    “The operation was successful, but the patient died”

Often takes a lot of time – though many improvements can happen in a short time

Like I said it takes years IMO – especially if you’re sick and spent years getting sick.
    Being young means you may not be that sick and can recover quickly.

Don’t take it the wrong way – from what I read, I’m sure you’ve done plenty.
    I mean we are all still learning (I certainly am) – so much info out there.
    Everybody reacts differently to certain foods and ways etc – it takes years to learn what works well with own body and why (often a mystery – that’s where the expertise is). What works well for you, may not work well for me – this is the bit that takes time (again IMO).
    My idea is to be as healthy as I can, I won't worsen it for a stupid blood test, but I don't think that being truly healthy will increase my cholesterol or anything like that, even if it's not a bad thing.

And the idea is to learn and improve, any other thing is secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
      Umm the poster is eating 50g+ of butter a day. That's a lot of butter. Plus 50g+ olive oil. Plus the meat. That's plenty of fat.

This thread is awesome; someone smart actually eating right from a young age, and both parents want to stop it from happening. LOL.

Keep up the good work! Wish I was as smart as you when I was 15!
      Thanks! But I really don't know why do you think my thread is awesome or how did you guess that I'm smart (OK, I'm gifted, but I haven't said that before did I?)

But thanks anyway! After so many years of invisibility and negative recognition at last I'm getting some praises, my ego was completely starved!

Comment

Originally posted by awok677 View Post
        So it's concentrating on showing that you're fit and healthy after 2 months of Primal, especially that your IBS has improved. I'd say you might have to prepare yourself to compromise, just in case, in which case, the grains/legumes/sugar is the one thing you don't want back in your diet. So just be prepared to let them have potatoes and dairy initially. If you find you have an acne problem then you can do down the no-dairy route rather than taking medications, but unless it shows up or disturbs your IBS it's not going to do you any harm for a few years and there's plenty of healthy fats there, also Vit K2 is the butter is grass-fed.

It always pays to have a fall-back position worked out and may stop them pushing for full reversion to CW. Best of luck.
        Well, unless the blood test said that I have anemia or something as extreme I think I could keep my position as it is, it's more about winning than losing, still I really really want to eat two eggs a day (minimum).

Delicious eggs with butter, even if not organic they're just darn delicious! (And healthy)

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
          Well, unless the blood test said that I have anemia or something as extreme I think I could keep my position as it is, it's more about winning than losing, still I really really want to eat two eggs a day (minimum).

Delicious eggs with butter, even if not organic they're just darn delicious! (And healthy)
          This is bazaar and almost unbelievable ( sadly it's true) - a teenager wants to eat two eggs a day and the parents wont let him because it's 'unhealthy'.

Growing up I had no such restrictions I could eat 3 eggs or more if I wanted ( boiled or cooked in butter and or with bacon if we had it in stock), there was a natural 'self regulation' in that I wanted variety of other foods too ( I didn't always want eggs).

Eggs were seen as real food and very healthy - I never knew how lucky I was.

Just yesterday I naturally had 6 eggs, 5 scrambled in butter for lunch ( plus meat, cheese, yogurt, avocado, nuts) and 1 egg fried in butter and left-over fat after dinner as I was still a bit hungry (dinner was fried fish and a BIG salad). I ate the eggs with no real thought about it as it just food to me ( food that I like) - but I'm thinking about it now - I think now appreciate my food a bit more.

Comment

This is bazaar and almost unbelievable ( sadly it's true) - a teenager wants to eat two eggs a day and the parents wont let him because it's 'unhealthy'.

Growing up I had no such restrictions I could eat 3 eggs or more if I wanted ( boiled or cooked in butter and or with bacon if we had it in stock), there was a natural 'self regulation' in that I wanted variety of other foods too ( I didn't always want eggs).

Eggs were seen as real food and very healthy - I never knew how lucky I was.

Just yesterday I naturally had 6 eggs, 5 scrambled in butter for lunch ( plus meat, cheese, yogurt, avocado, nuts) and 1 egg fried in butter and left-over fat after dinner as I was still a bit hungry (dinner was fried fish and a BIG salad). I ate the eggs with no real thought about it as it just food to me ( food that I like) - but I'm thinking about it now - I think now appreciate my food a bit more.
            OK, now I'm really going to get my eggs! I'll start stocking up on arguments for egg consumption instead of just waiting for the blood test

Comment

The point of the blood test is a clear proof of how healthy this diet is and as you said enjoy more freedom, so I can't risk running too low or high of anything.

And about obsession, well... first it was (non) religion, then ethics, then politics, then economy, then ethics again, then philosophy, then self-development and now mainly sleep, nutrition, exercise, lucid dreaming and emotional introspection. So yes, I guess I'm quite obsessive with things
              The one blood test PBers have 'problems' with is LDL. To help prevent a high LDL number eat more starchy carbs for 2 days before the test (potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, etc.). It would be a lot easier to get a lower number than to try to convince your parents that, no matter what the doctor says, PB says the higher number is not a problem.

Interest in those subjects is not obsession, rather these are the subjects a healthy, intelligent young man should be interested in.

Best of luck on the tests!
              "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
                The one blood test PBers have 'problems' with is LDL. To help prevent a high LDL number eat more starchy carbs for 2 days before the test (potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, etc.). It would be a lot easier to get a lower number than to try to convince your parents that, no matter what the doctor says, PB says the higher number is not a problem.

Interest in those subjects is not obsession, rather these are the subjects a healthy, intelligent young man should be interested in.

Best of luck on the tests!
                Thanks! But how exactly does eating some starches help me lower LDL?

Comment

I think the deal with LDL is to insist they test small/large LDL. Large LDL seems to go up, and that's okay.

Really though these tests are absurd in that the doctors don't know what the results actually mean.

Heck, Sally Fallon at WAPF says high cholesterol means long lifespan!!

Comment

OK, now I'm really going to get my eggs! I'll start stocking up on arguments for egg consumption instead of just waiting for the blood test
                    I hope you do........this is so strange ( if I fully understand the situation).

I have never heard of a situation like this ( perhaps I've lived a sheltered life):

1. Parents not allowing a teenager to eat more than one egg a day ( because it's 'unhealthy') and effectively saying eating natural foods along with the natural fats is not healthy.

2. A teenager so driven to eat like this (for health reasons), that's it causing arguments with parents and the teenager needs a blood test to 'prove' the diet is healthy and be allowed to continue.

Is this "Bazaaro World" ?

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                      I think the deal with LDL is to insist they test small/large LDL. Large LDL seems to go up, and that's okay.

Really though these tests are absurd in that the doctors don't know what the results actually mean.

Heck, Sally Fallon at WAPF says high cholesterol means long lifespan!!
                      Well, then I guess I won't be able to have a "perfect" blood test without destroying my health first (ironic isn't it?) unless Cryptocode's suggestion of eating starches 2 days before the test works, though that's basically cheating... a corrupt system, so no problem.

I hope you do........this is so strange ( if I fully understand the situation).

I have never heard of a situation like this ( perhaps I've lived a sheltered life):

1. Parents not allowing a teenager to eat more than one egg a day ( because it's 'unhealthy') and effectively saying eating natural foods along with the natural fats is not healthy.

2. A teenager so driven to eat like this (for health reasons), that's it causing arguments with parents and the teenager needs a blood test to 'prove' the diet is healthy and be allowed to continue.

Is this "Bazaaro World" ?
                      1) The "evolutive argument" of Marks, which is as undeniable as evolution itself (and my parents believe in evolution fortunately) doesn't work with them. You know, because a lot of doctors know more than millions of years of natural selection, and because he can't think of this lifestyle but as a sect, confirmation bias.

2)Yes, usually parents want to test their children when they're showing signs of illness or eating large amounts of unhealthy things. Now ironically they're being an obstacle to my personal development, I can't believe that being them (specially my father) sooo intelligent they can't help but believing in the majorities.

*Asks himself what's bazaaro world*
                      *Googles it*
                      *Presses the link*
                      *Uncanny valley alert! Releasing adrenaline and cortisol! Closing tab!*

Phew... That was close...

Comment

One other thought. Check to see if the studies that Mark mentions in his book are available in Spanish?

Comment

Originally posted by rcav8r View Post
                          One other thought. Check to see if the studies that Mark mentions in his book are available in Spanish?
                          Studies? Good one, I almost thought my parents would pay attention to a scientific study.

Comment

Now ironically they're being an obstacle to my personal development, I can't believe that being them (specially my father) sooo intelligent they can't help but believing in the majorities.
                            We hear it so much we internalise it and cease to question. Just think- you might eventually leading them to better health
                            When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                            27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                            new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
                              We hear it so much we internalise it and cease to question. Just think- you might eventually leading them to better health
                              Well, if I develop a six-pack, win an important sporting event and everybody starts talking about how healthy I am, then maybe I'll be able to convince them to be more healthy, I hope.

Comment

Thanks! But how exactly does eating some starches help me lower LDL?
                                I recommend trying this because of many favorable comments from the athletic members who 'carb load' before blood tests. When you are loosing weight, the fats (lipids) you loose are dumped into the blood stream to later be eliminated, thus raising all your cholestorel counts, but especially LDL. Therefore the athletes up their starches to stop loosing weight for that period of time. It is cheating, but not by much. Yams and Sweet Potatoes are allowed on PB. (Not American type white-meat potatoes though.)

It's fairly common now for doctors to test both LDL-C (content) and LDL-P (particle count). In this case a low LDL-P is what you want. If LDL-P is low, LDL-C doesn't matter as much to doctors.

LDL-P is more easily and cheaply (and correctly) tested for than large and small particles, for which the best test is NMR and is not provided by all clinics. Currently even NMR is questioned as useful. LDL-P has gained in medical approval.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtexWOU0zg
                                How to Read a Cholesterol Test | Mark's Daily Apple
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html
                                What Causes Elevated LDL Particle Number?
                                How to Interpret Advanced Cholesterol Test Results | Mark's Daily Apple
                                Why Did My Cholesterol Go Up After Going Primal? | Mark's Daily Apple
                                The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 2 | Mark's Daily Apple

EDIT: If studies (in English) will help your parents, we have lots of those.
                                Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM.
                                "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Working...
                                X