Where do I get fats from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I get fats from?

I'm relying on huge quantities of olive oil and conventional butter to get fats, as my parents won't let me eat more than 1 egg a day. So, what can I eat to get fats? I don't think three big servings of lean meat a day is a really good idea, even when paired with vegetables and fruit.

Coconut, avocados, dairy product, and MEAT, and then some more meat.

Comment

Will your parents let you buy coconut oil or coconut milk? (Aroy-D is a good brand for coconut milk.)

Why don't your parents let you eat more eggs? Is it because of conventional wisdom that eggs are bad for you? Perhaps you can introduce them to some paleo literature?

Certain cheeses are also high in fat content. Macadamia nuts are also a good choice for fat. Avocados are good too.

My journal

Comment

If eggs are off the table and money is a consideration, you really can't beat coconut milk for value. Cheap, great out of the can, and makes awesome curries. Just don't get the "light" version.

Comment

Some full fat natural cheese and yoghurt, some nuts and other stuff and mentioned.
          Lean meat? - Parents cut away the excess fat - or buy it like that?
          More than one egg not healthy? (according to parents?)
          What would they have you eat instead?

Comment

Someone call social services! They are depriving this poor kid of eggs! Its a travesty I say.

Comment

My understanding is that Spain has some of the best olive oil on the planet, so chug that!

Sorry that your parents are so anti-primal, but I promise, almost all of us survive our parents' weirdness.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
                Some full fat natural cheese and yoghurt, some nuts and other stuff and mentioned.
                Lean meat? - Parents cut away the excess fat - or buy it like that?
                More than one egg not healthy? (according to parents?)
                What would they have you eat instead?
                Nope, is already lean.
                Yes, according to them and their conventional wisdom.
                Cereals, legumes and suffering.

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                My understanding is that Spain has some of the best olive oil on the planet, so chug that!
                Sorry that your parents are so anti-primal, but I promise, almost all of us survive our parents' weirdness.
                Well, I eat olive oil like if it were water, like 100g a day or more.

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                Will your parents let you buy coconut oil or coconut milk? (Aroy-D is a good brand for coconut milk.)

Why don't your parents let you eat more eggs? Is it because of conventional wisdom that eggs are bad for you? Perhaps you can introduce them to some paleo literature?

Certain cheeses are also high in fat content. Macadamia nuts are also a good choice for fat. Avocados are good too.
                Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                Someone call social services! They are depriving this poor kid of eggs! Its a travesty I say.
                My parents? Sorry, but according to them you're all inside the primal sect, all your lost weight is either coincidental or placebo effect and Mark Sisson is just another trickster who lives sucking his followers money.

Oh, and I shouldn't be speaking with you actually, I might become "too extremist" and end up trapped in a downward spiral of blind beliefs and lack of critical sense, you know, because Mark is our stereotypical trickster who just cares about money and never EVER doubts of what he tells us.
                Last edited by Miguelinileugim; 05-28-2013, 09:09 PM. Reason: OCD

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
                  I'm relying on huge quantities of olive oil and conventional butter to get fats, as my parents won't let me eat more than 1 egg a day. So, what can I eat to get fats? I don't think three big servings of lean meat a day is a really good idea, even when paired with vegetables and fruit.
                  Fruit, veg, and lean meat is perfectly fine. Don't get all caught up on fats.. just eat natural clean food at you are set. If your meat is just too lean then cooking it w olive oil or coconut oil should be fine. You don't need to go insane on the fat train like a lot of people here do.

Comment

Originally posted by statikcat View Post
                    Fruit, veg, and lean meat is perfectly fine. Don't get all caught up on fats.. just eat natural clean food at you are set. If your meat is just too lean then cooking it w olive oil or coconut oil should be fine. You don't need to go insane on the fat train like a lot of people here do.
                    Well, excess protein may cause problems and fats are technically the main energy source of the body, I think that I should eat a very high quantity fats to reflect this, I mean, eating protein three times a day is just too much if not paired with lots of fat too! Right?

Comment

My parents? Sorry, but according to them you're all inside the primal sect, all your lost weight is either coincidental or placebo effect and Mark Sisson is just another trickster who lives sucking his followers money.

Oh, and I shouldn't be speaking with you actually, I might become "too extremist" and end up trapped in a downward spiral of blind beliefs and lack of critical sense, you know, because Mark is our stereotypical trickster who just cares about money and never EVER doubts of what he tells us.
                      OK it must be tough - but look on the bright side:
                      -Your parents care about you
                      -They're teaching you scams and fraudsters exist (in all areas) - be weary, question, be critical, don't blindly except opinions, cross-check, think for yourself, etc, etc (hey maybe this way of life style IS unhealthy - there are articles that criticise Paleo - check them out see if they have any strong arguments)
                      -You're a teenager and soon can make your own decisions on what you buy and have to eat.
                      -You're ahead of the game of most teenagers in terms of health awareness - even if you're doing now is unhealthy, you're on the path to find out what is healthy.

Good-luck.
                      P.S. What did your grand parents eat back in 'their day'?
                      Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 05-29-2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

creams pretty good too,
                        When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                        27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                        new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

it's hard to deal with parents sometimes, at any age. I'm 50, and still have to remind my mother that I don't want certain things in my food when I visit or she takes me out to eat. so, once you are out of the house, you will mostly have control of your own food prep, but sometimes, you compromise to keep the peace. My Mom cares, and understands the low-carb thing, and that I have little tolerance for dairy(the dairy problems are old news by now, so everyone is used to that). Your parents care, but we cant change decades of brainwashing by conventional ideas, plus people get used to doing things a certain way, it "works" for all these years, so change is REALLY hard, the older we get. (Yeah, I know, even though I understand the importance of change for the better, its hard - I lived almost 50 years doing things differently!!)
                          good luck to you and hang in there. Appreciate your family - no one lives forever, and there are plenty of good things you can share other than food.

Comment

fats are technically the main energy source of the body
                            As a blanket statement that is not true.

Comment

Agreed with all you said EatMoveSleep, and my grandparents ate mostly pasta and bread, a lot of carbs at every meal.

Comment

Working...
                              X