Eat less? Seriously?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat less? Seriously?

Reading through the archives I've read about eating less, not IF, I mean eating less to what your body tells you to eat.

Isn't one of the main ideas of the primal diet eating as much as you like, knowing that your body will choose what to incorporate and what to ignore? I mean, I enjoy abundant servings of meat, olive oil and butter (and eggs if I could), and my meals are completely filling, but should I eat less or something?

From the archives:
    "Eat less. This is a huge one that I never see anyone talking about. I am a big fan of “low carb” eating. I think sugar is no better than a toxin. But that doesn't mean anyone needs to eat massive steaks. Humans are designed to eat some flesh, but fish and eggs are certainly sufficient, and more importantly, you only need 1-3 ounces at a time. Unless you're an athlete in training, the need for anything more than a small handful of flesh is exaggerated. We're used to eating huge servings of meat, but then, we're used to eating huge servings of everything."

I think the statement that you pulled from the archives refers to the fact that most people have no idea what a healthy serving size actually is. For example: a serving of protein is supposedly about the size of a deck of playing cards. Who really needs to eat 16 - 24oz of steak at one sitting?
    Eat until you are satisfied, not until you are so full that you feel bloated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

Comment

OK, got it, thanks

Comment

you've taken that out of context. the article Is There Any Safe Meat? | Mark's Daily Apple is an answer to a specific question " is there really any safe meat to eat these days?
        its not saying eat less meat its saying if you don't have good foods eat less of the bad. ie "Go organic. Expensive, yes, but I believe this is a non-negotiable. If you buy “free-range”, make sure it’s really free-range" thus if you haven't gone organic eat less of the non-organic food

and no, one of the main ideas of the primal diet isn't eating as much as you like, knowing that your body will choose what to incorporate and what to ignore? If you put it in your body then your body will digest it.

"Just because you’re scarfing down grass-fed beef and pastured eggs doesn’t mean you can get away with mindless consumption." 9 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM.
        When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
        27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
        new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

So, how much should I eat then?

Comment

Up to you! I start most meals with around a pound of animal (including fish, liver, etc!), chased with eggs, avocado, coconut milk, some hard cheese or nuts, berries, etc. If I eat less meat than that, I start to get weak and feel spacey, etc. I need to get back to making bone broth again, for sure!
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you aren't.

There's nothing wrong with your body actually knowing what hunger is either. Before cutting out the bread, I never knew what hunger was, just low blood sugar ravening.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Well, actually I'm less hungry than ever, at least I can spend a lot of time without eating and not feeling extremely hungry, at some point hunger spikes but then it disappears for some time, amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                  low blood sugar ravening.
                  +1
                  brilliant term; I'd 2nd this. hunger is a slow, rumbling tummy for me and it triggers a 'i'd better eat soon' response. If its a shaky, sicky 'i've got to eat now or I'll pass out' its a carb hunger for me. The difference is really evident after a few weeks.
                  When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                  27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                  new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
                    Isn't one of the main ideas of the primal diet eating as much as you like, knowing that your body will choose what to incorporate and what to ignore? I mean, I enjoy abundant servings of meat, olive oil and butter (and eggs if I could), and my meals are completely filling, but should I eat less or something?
                    Assuming you're not overweight and just eating for health (no mention in the 2 threads i've seen about fat loss), your signal for "I'm done eating" probably works. Most of the people on the forums who tend to have issues are most likely overweight, and their signal doesn't work the same way ... or else they wouldn't be overweight.*

You sound like so far you're pretty happy with how things are going, minus the lack of fat sources in the other thread, so keep it up.

*Pending other health issues they can't control, etc, but I'm talking about those who suck at knowing when to stop or have skewed portion sizes, as Shotglass mentions above.

Comment

Well, actually I'm less hungry than ever, at least I can spend a lot of time without eating and not feeling extremely hungry, at some point hunger spikes but then it disappears for some time, amazing.
                      Good for you. Eat less works for some people because there are those with broken hunger signals. It may seem so intuitive to us to stop eating when we're full but there are some who don't know when full is.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Can someone get fat on a primal/paleo diet? Yes. Constant excessive calories will eventually get packed on as pounds. Paleo/primal is not like a safe "eat all you want" buffet (although a paleo buffet would have its attractions.) Ask this question: Were there any obese groks? Perhaps there was a rare exception but it is difficult to imagine any pre-agricultural revolution human being obese. They didn't have excess food enough to have obesity. Indeed women had to evolve into fat storers to have enough energy to be pregnant et cetera. All of this is to say the point of primal/paleo is not to eat all you want. It is to eat what is best for the health of the body. Eating all you can eat is not necessarily good even when primal/paleo.

Comment

If you eat to hunger, and your body looks the way you want it to look, you perform as you want to perform, you are lucky and stick with it. If you are eating to hunger and fat started to pile up around your thighs and belly and what not (fat, not weight), then you need to eat slightly less than your hunger dictates. If you can stand gaining fat, you can experiment with that weight gain while eating to hunger, and see if the fat goes away in a few months after body re-balances, but if after 6 or so months you just keep on gaining, there is nothing for it, you are eating too much. Evolutionary, we are programmed to overeat, no matter what the quality of food, so yeah, except for occasional lucky few, most people have to have hungry days, and eat to hunger on the other days.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by nivanthe View Post
                            assuming you're not overweight and just eating for health (no mention in the 2 threads i've seen about fat loss), your signal for "i'm done eating" probably works. Most of the people on the forums who tend to have issues are most likely overweight, and their signal doesn't work the same way ... Or else they wouldn't be overweight.*

you sound like so far you're pretty happy with how things are going, minus the lack of fat sources in the other thread, so keep it up.

*pending other health issues they can't control, etc, but i'm talking about those who suck at knowing when to stop or have skewed portion sizes, as shotglass mentions above.
                            Originally posted by damiana View Post
                            eat less works for some people because there are those with broken hunger signals.
                            qft
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

You're a growing teenager.
                              Presumably you're not over weight and are reasonably healthy.

Don't hold back on the eating
                              Get some simple exercise too.....

Comment

Working...
                              X