An American shopping list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes indeed. There are some chain stores here you can look for in most major cities. Whole Foods, Sprouts, Henry's and Boney's. Also Trader Joe's like SB said.
    Yep. I think living in CA, southern CA in general, we are spoiled for choice here. Now if you were to go to Kansas, I doubt you'd have the same selection. America is a big place.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

whole foods, trader joes, wegmans, sprouts. lots of farmers markets this time of the year too. i'm sure you'll do just fine

Comment

Surely they have a Neosporin equivalent in the UK?! I personally prefer this spray called "New Skin." It's great if you are prone to skinning your knee. Yeah, I'm like a child that way. No, it only happens maybe once or twice a year, but it's always nasty cuz I skin it when I fall while running and go sliding... New Skin--don't know what I would do without it.

My journal

Comment

This question is also pretty hard to answer without knowing where the OP is from (apologies if it is stated somewhere that I haven't seen).

The thread also highlights some interesting differences between where we all live.

In the PB community (mostly US based), for instance, everyone raves about grass-fed beef and butter, etc. all the time, but in the UK you rarely hear much about them because virtually all our beef is largely grass/forage fed.

Not sure where in Europe baking soda and powder is a rarity though...

My advice for your trip, and indeed wherever you travel, is to just enjoy local produce where you can. California (also a big place) has some great farmers markets and fantastic local produce (not sure the wine qualifies ). I'm not convinced the US has much to offer in terms of novel pharmaceutical products, compared to Western Europe tbh, although I may be wrong.

Comment

If you are coming to California, just browse around. You never know what you'll find.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

If you are a tea drinker be prepared it's difficult to get a decent cup. Most places hand you a 12 oz. cup of hot water and let you choose your tea bag. When I'm traveling I find getting a cup of properly made tea is close to impossible, I usually give up and drink coffee.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I lived in Cali before, so I know the American drill They drink soda, not tea, a "bum bag" is called a "fanny pack", and a small coffee is a large here.

I'm based in London. There's loads of things that you can't get in stores here, and that I have to order online. Powered supps, as an example. And they're really expensive.
                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                  Surely they have a Neosporin equivalent in the UK?!
                  With a prescription apparently, sure (antibiotic)

I just remember having a "What is that? we can't get that OTC" conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                    With a prescription apparently, sure (antibiotic)

I just remember having a "What is that? we can't get that OTC" conversation.
                    Craziness! Sucks to be in the UK. (Sorry, YB!)

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                      Craziness! Sucks to be in the UK. (Sorry, YB!)
                      Lol.

Let me think: grass fed beef being the norm, no fluoride in the water, GM food has to be labelled... there are some advantages to being in the UK!

Cali's got the hemp oil and the weather though, so we lose ultimately.
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post

Let me think: grass fed beef being the norm, no fluoride in the water, GM food has to be labelled... there are some advantages to being in the UK!
                        Yeah, you're right. There are some advantages to being in the UK. I remember good sandwiches at the airport (that's pre-primal). I've never been to the UK, except the airport, had a couple hour layover at Heathrow. All I remember is a lot of going up and down escalators, wondering who the hell designed the place.

My journal

Comment

& the pickles here SUCK!

I miss those wee lil gerkins
                          Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
                            & the pickles here SUCK!

I miss those wee lil gerkins
                            Have you shopped in any of the Polish stores, or Lidl? They do great pickles! But maybe you're accustomed to the American interpretation...

- Ray Peat

Comment

I was friends with some Scandinavian exchange students in high school and the food they said they'd miss the most is cornbread since it was so different from any bread they'd ever had. I really can't think of anything else you can get over here that you can't in Europe though the cost might be higher over there.

Comment

Cali is a city in Colombia.

Comment

Working...
                                X