Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no sugar OR starch. So where do i get my carbs from??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, celery, celery root, onions, brussels sprouts, cabbage or sauerkraut, cauliflour, beets, greens (mustard, collards, kale, beet, dandelion, etc).
    Nice! so all of these have carbs but no sugar or starch??

Comment

Originally posted by GiGiEats View Post
      I get ALL of my carbs from non-starchy carbohydrates! Spinach, green beans, sea vegetables, spaghetti squash, butter lettuce, leeks, etc... It's definitely possible!
      thanks. but again i need 100 grams per day.i googled leeks " cup chopped cooked leeks: 3 grams effective (net)". so thats roughly 15 cups of leeks per day to get my crabs. thats impossible.

nice to see that there actually seems to be non starch/sugar sources. but there must be some other a really non tsarch/sugar carb dense veggie out there..

Comment

You don't need carbs in the diet. That said I get what few I do eat mainly from the Brassica family... and some nutmeats.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
          You also get a lot of carbs from lacto-fermented foods, like pickles and sauerkraut (you want ones that are fermented, not in vinegar. Bubbies makes lacto-fermented foods), as well as homemade yogurt, kefeir, etc.
          Bubbles says their 'kraut has cultures in them as per the bottle, however they do NOT make this claim on their pickle bottles, and if you read the ingredients, Bubbies pickles have vinegar added suggesting a non-fermented pickle.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by GiGiEats View Post
            spaghetti squash
            Just so you know, squash is not a starch, no, but it's a sugar. If sugar is to be limited, squash may not be the best choice.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

JohanJohan, what anti inflammation diet are you doing? And is it for a specific condition? GAPS and the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol are similar but there are some differences, for example fermented dairy is okay on GAPS, but not on Paleo AP, sweet potatoes are okay on Paleo AP, but not on GAPS. Depending on the condition you're addressing there may be other dietary considerations.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                Bubbles says their 'kraut has cultures in them as per the bottle, however they do NOT make this claim on their pickle bottles, and if you read the ingredients, Bubbies pickles have vinegar added suggesting a non-fermented pickle.
                It depends on the type of pickle you're buying. They're bread & butter ones, though delicious, are sadly pickled in vinegar. I always check ingredients for vinegar. Their Kosher Dill Pickles, Kosher Dill Relish, and their sauerkraut are vinegar-free!

Comment

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
                  It depends on the type of pickle you're buying. They're bread & butter ones, though delicious, are sadly pickled in vinegar. I always check ingredients for vinegar. Their Kosher Dill Pickles, Kosher Dill Relish, and their sauerkraut are vinegar-free!
                  Certain pickle flavors (I guess bread and butter is one of 'em) would be hard to recreate via fermentation so they would be likely to pickle them to be better able to control the elements. Other flavors you can easily produce with a fermented cuke and may even be BETTER suited to it.

Of course you can make 'kraut via pickling, but it just isn't the same and seems more and more companies are realizing this. And since it doesn't take much effort to ferment...

Comment

I think the interesting thing of the "eat vegetables" rule is that you can eat plenty of them, get a lot of micronutrients (vitamins, anti-oxidants and minerals), be satiated... and still stay low in carbs.

My carbohydrate sources are: bell peppers (9.4g/100g), tomatoes (4g), eggplants (5.7g), onions (9.3g), garlic (33.1g), leek (14.2g), broccoli (6.6g), lettuce (3.2g), carrots (9.6g), cucumber (3.6g), asparagus (4g).

And don't forget fruits: blueberries (14.g), blackberries (10.2g), strawberries (7.7g), cranberries (12.2g), blackcurrant (15.4g), apple (13.8), avocado (24.g each).

Liver has carbs: 5.9g per 100g of beef liver

Nuts are rich in fats, but they are not carb free: macadamias (14.2g, but I guess most is fiber), brazinuts (12.3g), almonds (19.9g), chestnuts (45.5g!!!), hazelnuts (16.7g), pistachios (28g).

Comment

Chocolate. Where's the chocolate?! Eat all the chocolate!
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        Chocolate. Where's the chocolate?! Eat all the chocolate!
                        Chocolate isn't GAPS friendly, Sillyhead.

Comment

GAPS isn't living-friendly, lol.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

True, but it does do a great job of healing a person's guts. Pros and cons to everything!

Comment

It might heal some people's guts. It also might be a complete waste of time...
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I have not done GAPS (although I am considering it).

But for the autoimmune version of paleo that I use, I don't limit starches or natural sugars at all. If you have ankylosing spondylitis you may need to limit starch, but I'm not sure that is useful for other conditions.

I eat sweet potato, all forms of squash, carrots, plantains, taro, all fruits, and now that my inflammation is low I eat some white rice as well. For me, I eliminate grains, bad oils, sugar, nightshades, eggs, nuts, and dairy and it keeps the inflammation very low. I feel best if I keep coffee out as well, but I keep going back to decaf coffee.

It might be helpful if you could let us know what type of inflammation you have and what your overall goals are.

Good luck!!
                                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                                X