Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone done "Simple Paleo" for weight loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone done "Simple Paleo" for weight loss?

The Simple Paleo idea is based on the food reward system researched by Stephan Guyenet. I found it in Chris Kresser's High Cholesterol Action Plan and he also talked about it recently in a talk in the SexyBack summit.

The basic idea is to eat bland, plain and simple. To not add fat to the meal, but not to avoid fatty food like avocado, steak, etc. It would mean no butter on veggies, etc. Also, to get salt in the diet, to put it in your water in the morning, not on your food.

The idea is to lower your body fat set point by spontaneously lowering calories even though your body doesn't realize it because you are not hungry, not desiring the palatable foods.

Just curious if anyone has tried this idea out.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 155 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

This sounds similar to the food reward technique that was floating around the forum a few weeks (months?) ago. If you try searching on food reward you might find some threads you are interested in.

Good luck!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Has anyone tried normal Paleo for weight loss?

Like, seriously?
      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
      MFP Food Diary:
      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

I've been primal for 3 years and have lost 30lbs. So please, spare me your unhelpful comments.

My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
          This sounds similar to the food reward technique that was floating around the forum a few weeks (months?) ago. If you try searching on food reward you might find some threads you are interested in.

Good luck!
          Thanks.

My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
            Has anyone tried normal Paleo for weight loss?

Like, seriously?
            I tried to lose weight from Cordain's original Paleo Diet book. It was too low in fat and I couldn't stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Momto3 View Post
              I've been primal for 3 years and have lost 30lbs. So please, spare me your unhelpful comments.
              It was a legit question. Congrats, btw.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
              I tried to lose weight from Cordain's original Paleo Diet book. It was too low in fat and I couldn't stick with it.
              I've only read that once, and it was more of a skim-read. Did seem fairly boring.

Thanks for explaining.
              Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
              https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
              MFP Food Diary:
              http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
              (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

If I drop too low in calories I stop losing weight. But I also don't add butter to foods unless needed for cooking and add just enough salt for what I need for intake but don't really notice it for flavor. If someone was struggling to stop overeating, the idea might work.

Comment

"IF" kinda has the same effect if done properly. By slowly decreasing your meal frequency to ultimately consisting of one meal a day, your calorie intake will naturally decrease and your fat burning becomes elevated. All the while eating delicious food in that one daily meal. No reason to ingest boring, bland food. Life's too short, IMHO.
                  "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
                    I've only read that once, and it was more of a skim-read. Did seem fairly boring.

Thanks for explaining.
                    The way Cordain explained it, ancient wild game was very lean and had a fat profile very different from meat available in the modern world. He also seemed to be under the impression that ancestral humans went out of their way to avoid fat. So he recommended lean cuts of meat, trimmed to remove all visible fat. No dairy, so no butter. But to provide the correct balance of fatty acids, he thought we should buy perilla oil imported from Korea. Um, like Grok did?

The whole thing sounded to me contrived so as to attempt to gain acceptance with the fat-phobic medical community. Of course that didn't happen. Since then Cordain has eased off on avoiding fat.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                      The way Cordain explained it, ancient wild game was very lean and had a fat profile very different from meat available in the modern world. He also seemed to be under the impression that ancestral humans went out of their way to avoid fat. So he recommended lean cuts of meat, trimmed to remove all visible fat. No dairy, so no butter. But to provide the correct balance of fatty acids, he thought we should buy perilla oil imported from Korea. Um, like Grok did?

The whole thing sounded to me contrived so as to attempt to gain acceptance with the fat-phobic medical community. Of course that didn't happen. Since then Cordain has eased off on avoiding fat.
                      I think he has changed his tune. The steak and roast cuts are very lean but he no claims he didn't account for organ meats, brain etc that would have been consumed which add a lot more fat.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

I agree.

Certainly our ancestors would have eaten 100% of their own kill whenever possible. But it is probable that things they stole from large predators, like marrow bones and brain cases, would have been a significant part of their diet. These were things that only tool-users could break open to get out the good fatty stuff inside.

Comment

Some background as to why I am asking people of they have experience with Simple Paleo. If regular primal continued to work this would not be an issue. But my health concerns are complex so may require more tweaking.

yesterday. I also listened to a talk by Chris Kresser talking about the thyroid-adrenal-ovarian axis. This talk was so helpful for me to connect the dots as to how I could end up with endometriosis, PCOS, weight gain, hyperplasia, high cortisol, gut dysbiosis..... Such a good talk! In it he talked about weightloss being important because the extra fat producing more estrogen which continues to throw the balance out of whack. He mentioned that low carb may help some, but if your adrenals are weakened, it may not be the best. Then he mentioned Simple Paleo as a way to lower caloric intake without stressing the body.

My Journal

Comment

There was a thread about a year ago where someone recorded their experiments with eating a very bland non-reward diet. I don't remember the results.

In all the reading I have done on food reward it truly seems to me that nobody really understands it properly. It is not that the food you eat is bland and boring and not tasty that makes it "work". It is that it is lacking in any substances that excite regions of the brain that go against satiation and satiety. So the plain and ordinary paleo diet should work just fine without having to be super bland because it lacks those substances: lots of sweet, lots of salt, lots of msg, "vanishing caloric value" and other tricks of modern food processing.

If you go to gnolls.org and read his huge, dense series on Why We Get Hungry you might find it interesting.

And Momto3, going by your avatar, it doesn't look like you have so much fat that it would be causing huge estrogen imbalances. You look pretty good, if you ask me. And you're doing a pullup.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Thanks sbhikes. I'm not far from my goal, but I do carry extra fat in my tummy region. ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1369578577.284334.jpg
                              ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1369578610.826756.jpg

I do see how the Paleo approach has already really changed my tastes for more simple, real food. I am curious how things would go if I did not add fat to meals and keep to simple slow cooked meals. I've eliminated sugar already, but still enjoy savory nut flour based baked goods.

I don't know where my hormones are at right now. I'm on the pill to control pain. But I am hopeful the more I heal, I will be able to go off. I know cortisol is high so that means nothing too drastic.

I found a couple threads discussing food reward but haven't found the ones of people actually doing it. I know this approach does not seem fun at all. I may not find many people that have actually done it.

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X