Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycemic Index

Hey everyone,

I'm curious to hear what you paleo experts think about the GI of foods. For example, pumpkin is low carb, but high GI.

Thanks!!

The Glycemic Index is useful in making a lot of money for diet gurus. It plays into the "if only I were able to exercise more control, I would be thin" blaming that dieters heap on themselves.

Comment

This:WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GLYCEMIC INDEX (GI) AND GLYCEMIC LOAD (GL)? | Diabetes Management
      is a good breakdown of the difference between GI and GL (glycemic load).
      The latter is a much better metric.

Comment

Thanks for your responses!

On another note, I've been reading these forums for a while without participating, so I was pretty excited when I saw that the famous eKatherine and Paleobird responded to me!!

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by teddythecat View Post
            Hey everyone,

I'm curious to hear what you paleo experts think about the GI of foods. For example, pumpkin is low carb, but high GI.

Thanks!!
            the GI is measured after eating 50g or 100g of the carbs contained in a given food. So you would have to eat e.g. "tons" of carrots to measure its GI ... that is why it is not exactly relevant. The glycemic load puts the GI into better perspective becuase it takes into account the real amount of carbs (not 50g or 100g regardless of the food). There is quite some uncertainty on the GI measure and you need to find volunteers who would be willing to ingest huge amounts of foods that contain moderate to little carbs ... some GI data are even missing because of that

Unless you are diabetic, you can ignore the GI if you eat primal and don't overdo one macro or another.

Comment

GI can help illustrate why starch snacks and macaroni meals are a bad idea, but when it comes to proper unrefined meals I don't sweat it.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                GI can help illustrate why starch snacks and macaroni meals are a bad idea, but when it comes to proper unrefined meals I don't sweat it.
                That is why I think one meal a day is great: you get ONE SINGLE insulin spike in 24 hours

Comment

Originally posted by dkJames View Post
                  That is why I think one meal a day is great: you get ONE SINGLE insulin spike in 24 hours
                  Insulin increases in response to dozens of bodily functions.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                  Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

glycemic index is useless and physiologically it has absolutely zero meaning
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

Ok, well I'm pretty convinced to ignore GI! I think for the most part I'm good using common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by teddythecat View Post
                        Ok, well I'm pretty convinced to ignore GI! I think for the most part I'm good using common sense.
                        Should be good...as long as your common sense hasn't been corrupted by CW
                        Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

Comment

I believe my common sense has been uncorrupted since I started learning about paleo there was a (horribly stupid) time when I decided to be vegan, which naturally resulted in me feeling like absolute shit!!!! I can't believe I went 3 months without steak and eggs. I could barely go for a walk because I had zero energy!!!!!

Comment

Well here is some food list:
                            low GI (less than 55) soy products, beans, fruit, milk, pasta, grainy bread, porridge and lentils
                            medium GI (55 to 70) orange juice, honey, basmati rice and wholemeal bread
                            high GI (greater than 70) potatoes, white bread and short-grain rice.

Note that " GI food is useful for healthy life and effective too if you have a medical condition, such as diabetes."

Comment

Working...
                            X