Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80/20 rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    The one thing about not being 100% is that you need to accept that your results may not be great.

    I think being online.... you have to consider the source of advice. A 40 year old woman trying to get to 15% body fat and not eating fruits or anything is a whole hell of a lot different than a 25 year old guy who can have a daily beer and is losing 5 lbs a week.

    I'm at a point where for me, weightloss is on the back burner. I've maybe lost a lb doing CF but my body is changing. I'm trying to get "tighter". So, I am a little more lax at times then I would be if I was trying to lose weight. For me, I enjoy eating and food and don't consider that something I want to change. I enjoy food so much that processed crap makes me sad, LOL. I went to an amazing restaurant last night and damned if I'm going to tell the chef to leave the polenta off the plate. But for me, dining out at a restaurant of that caliber is a two time a year treat. Hell no, I'm not eating toast or grits at Waffle House.

    I'm trying to shape a lifestyle I can sustain for the rest of my life. I can eat fully clean for about a month. If I work at it. I've lost about 40lbs and gone from a snug size 16 in Spanx to my 10's are getting big in the waist. So, for me, being fully clean hasn't been necessary to deliver results I'm happy with.

    I do think that when you start, you need to do it "right". If you are miserable and looking for the next cheat meal, you need to reassess the primal foods you are eating and find primal ones that make you happy to eat dinner. Unfortunately, if you look at the forums too much, you see a thousand variations on strictness and it can start to look like you need to eat 1 time a day, no fruit, only leafy greens and a day of potatoes only 1 day a month on the day after you heavy lift. It's really not that hard for most people.

    On the other hand you see shit like "I haven't lost a lb yet!!!! and have been doing this 2 weeks". OK, what do you eat? Well, I only have one piece of toast a day, with 2 egg whites, lunch is grilled chicken breast and a cookie, steak for dinner oh and weekends, I use my 20% and eat pizza and drink beer". Yeah... it's not that easy either.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      People change different habits in their lives in different ways. I've seen people quit cigarettes cold turkey and I've seen them decrease to like four per day, then finally put them down forever.

      The 20% imo is because not everyone can afford to be 100%, not everyone needs to lose weight, and not everyone enters with a health problem. Some people just want to find a sustainable, healthy way to live. For those people, eating a burger on bread once a week isn't going to kill them. Pizza out with friends a couple of times a month isn't going to take years off their lives.

      If modern illness is a result of a bad diet, and I believe much of it is, it's the chronic eating of unhealthy, non-nutritious foods. It's waking up in the morning and eating a big bowl of cereal, munching throughout the day on 100-calorie snack packs, non-dairy coffee whitener (that is primarily HFCS and corn oil), daily sandwiches and pasta, the vilification of animal products, the eating of sick animals, etc. IOW it's a place of eating and eating and not getting even basic nutrients.

      Once you start eating healthfully raised animals and their by-products, organic plants, and some fermented products, you start to improve. Getting rid of the harder stuff - like folks who drink a six pack of soda per day whether sugar or aspartame, or eat cereal and/or bread on a daily basis, you'll get more healthy. Eventually, you just start find yourself wanting the "healthy" stuff more than the crap. Barring those who binge and those who have specific health issues, a few slices of bread per month or some pizza out with friends once in awhile, or even a few beers isn't going to kill you. It's the chronic, daily use of these products - calories with no nutrients or some damaging properties (bad oils and grains) that is making us ill. No one ever died from eating healthfully all day and following it with a small serving of even the worst ice cream.
      JoanieL....I love how you break it down....its very true. We are human, we make mistakes, slip up, or completely fall off....but the truth is....get back up and try, try again...it does get easier.
      Thank you for this comment!

      Comment


      • #48
        I'll just reiterate that newbies DO need to be 100% until they heal their metabolisms. After that , I guess you can relax into whatever 80/20 you want. As long as your blood numbers are decent and you're happy with your fat%, it's all good.

        I do not believe that this diet has a 95% failure rate. Other diets aren't really diets. They are just a "less food" version of the SAME diet. Given that modern wheat is basically a mild narcotic, you don't stay on less food for long. Primal/Paleo is a "different food" diet. Remove the addiction and suddenly you can get by on less food.
        5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by oxide View Post
          I do not believe that this diet has a 95% failure rate. Other diets aren't really diets. They are just a "less food" version of the SAME diet.
          Agreed. If we accept the theory that overweight is a form of malnourishment then we shouldn't be surprised when aggravating the malnourishment fails to fix it.
          37//6'3"/185

          My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by goinggrok View Post
            JoanieL....I love how you break it down....its very true. We are human, we make mistakes, slip up, or completely fall off....but the truth is....get back up and try, try again...it does get easier.
            Thank you for this comment!
            Thank you.

            Originally posted by oxide View Post
            I'll just reiterate that newbies DO need to be 100% until they heal their metabolisms. After that , I guess you can relax into whatever 80/20 you want.
            This assumes that everyone comes to primal with an injured metabolism. It also flies in the face of some very good advice which I usually forget the specific quote, but has to do with not letting perfection (or lack thereof) get in the way of the good. And it can scare off or discourage those who don't change habits by going cold turkey from making any changes because after all, if only 100% works, in the beginning then why bother? Mark doesn't advise "only 100% at the beginning or go home."

            I do agree that this isn't a diet if diet is defined as a temporary thing to lose weight. It is a diet if diet means, "my diet consists of..." and that relates to what I eat and will probably eat for the rest of my life. It's a lifestyle also, but avoiding poison, moving, getting sun, playing, etc., are really just common sense things, not magic.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

            B*tch-lite

            Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

            Comment


            • #51
              I count "sugar burner" as an injured metabolism. "If only 100% works, in the beginning then why bother?" Because the hard work now will pay off later? Because if you're only 80%, then your body will still have enough sugar that it will stay a sugar burner. Your body won't be deprived of sugar enough to understand that it's supposed to shift to fat-burning beast. It's like climbing a staircase. You can't just step up half a stair half-assed; you need to step up the whole way. For newbies who are heavy sugar burners, I guess it's possible to ease into the 100%, but at some point they have to get those carbs and bad oils down, at least until they go through carb flu.

              That said, yeah, I guess a newbie could become a fat burner on diligent 80/20, or a relaxed 90/10, or whatever nuance. But it takes longer and it could get dicey. Look at all the threads on the forum started by newbies who say they went "primal" but they aren't losing weight. Only to find out: they are eating sugary greek yogurt. They are eating too much rice. They think 80/20 means two cheat pizzas a week. They are drinking too much dairy. They still like fat-free chicken breast. It never occurred to them that beer wasn't primal. They are eating too much chocolate. Their PUFA's are high from too many of the wrong nuts. And so on. In other words, they are eating a relaxed 80% too soon, and they are dancing too near to SAD end of the spectrum. The first thing I ask them is if they went through carb flu. If they haven't, that's a sure sign that their metabolism is simply not switching. That's why, with newbies, I err on the side of being strict.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

              Comment


              • #52
                Sugar burner is an injured metabolism? Bahahaha get real, you're out of your mind.

                It takes a great deal of fighting and discomfort to become a "fat burner", it's unnatural, just let that soak in for a bit. Real healthy people don't have any issues with any macro-nutrient, there is no evolutionary proof or value of "fat burning". You didn't stumble upon an oasis of health, you just bit into another fad hook line and sinker.

                Mentality is key to health, there is no 80/20 or 100 rule to that. Health isn't over analyzing every aspect of what you do in order to make sure you stay a "fat burner".
                Make America Great Again

                Comment


                • #53
                  I disagree that we can say what the "failure rate" is from one or another strategy. There is no data.

                  It would be possible to offer new members a survey and if they wish to, follow-up surveys. Without at least some data, we have no idea how many succeed or fail, or what the best strategies might be.

                  But even with that data, what could it be compared to if other sites didn't do the same thing?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Dradok View Post
                    Hello,

                    I would like to hear from you primal veterans regarding the 80/20 rule. Does this mean that you have 6 cheat days per month where you indulge in non primal foods? Or is it more of 80% of the food you eat daily is primal and 20% is not? Are there certain things that are off limits even within the 20% allowance? Have you made improvements using your version of the 80/20 rule?
                    I don't do planned cheats or anything, and at home I stay primal. But sometimes I'm out and that smoothie might have pb2 instead of almond butter in it, or the sweet potato fries are fried in some weird oil. And I will eat them. That's my "cheats". So my cheats are having the same things that I have at home, but in an environment where I can't control all of the ingredients. I'm okay with that. I don't eat out that often anyway.

                    You can make the rule mean whatever you like it to mean.
                    be the hair that knots with my hair
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    primal since oct. 1, 2012

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by oxide View Post
                      I count "sugar burner" as an injured metabolism. "If only 100% works, in the beginning then why bother?" Because the hard work now will pay off later? Because if you're only 80%, then your body will still have enough sugar that it will stay a sugar burner. Your body won't be deprived of sugar enough to understand that it's supposed to shift to fat-burning beast. It's like climbing a staircase. You can't just step up half a stair half-assed; you need to step up the whole way. For newbies who are heavy sugar burners, I guess it's possible to ease into the 100%, but at some point they have to get those carbs and bad oils down, at least until they go through carb flu.

                      That said, yeah, I guess a newbie could become a fat burner on diligent 80/20, or a relaxed 90/10, or whatever nuance. But it takes longer and it could get dicey. Look at all the threads on the forum started by newbies who say they went "primal" but they aren't losing weight. Only to find out: they are eating sugary greek yogurt. They are eating too much rice. They think 80/20 means two cheat pizzas a week. They are drinking too much dairy. They still like fat-free chicken breast. It never occurred to them that beer wasn't primal. They are eating too much chocolate. Their PUFA's are high from too many of the wrong nuts. And so on. In other words, they are eating a relaxed 80% too soon, and they are dancing too near to SAD end of the spectrum. The first thing I ask them is if they went through carb flu. If they haven't, that's a sure sign that their metabolism is simply not switching. That's why, with newbies, I err on the side of being strict.
                      Quote A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X