No announcement yet.

80/20 rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But in practice it doesn't work, for reasons people have already mentioned.
    ? It's worked great for me. I've lost some odd 40 lbs worth of fat and changed my lifestyle and I can tell you that if I was under the impression that I had to be 100% all the time or this would fail that I would be a vegetarian who weighed 50lbs more. It's about changing from the mindset of "this is a temporary eating pattern" to "this is how I eat now and for the rest of my life". If you think you can banish a pretty major swath of foods from your diet forever, you are probably wrong. It might work for a couple of months, or even a few years. But it catches up.

Probably a lot depends on your personality type- how useful the concept of 20% is and how you intepret it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Every day people post here: "I ate a little of the bad food and then fell off the wagon and ate everything! OMG what's wrong with me?!".

It gets old listening to it.

Just do 100%, easier.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
        Every day people post here: "I ate a little of the bad food and then fell off the wagon and ate everything! OMG what's wrong with me?!".

Just do 100%, easier.
        "How many cheat meals should I plan a week?"

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
          If you think you can banish a pretty major swath of foods from your diet forever, you are probably wrong. It might work for a couple of months, or even a few years. But it catches up.
          No, I can. Because I'm cool like that.

But yes this is the point, people who live in toxic food societies need to disentangle themselves from those societies which can be done with 1) an airplane ticket or 2) 100% rule.

I did both.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            You crack me up eK!

More like per day!

Comment

Given that most people don't have the option to leave their homes.... and most people can't realistically go 100%, I'd rather see people eat 3-4 cheat meals a week, and 15-17 primal meals versus just giving up altogether. Yeah, don't expect rapid weight loss.... but far better than eating crap 21 meals a week.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

You do what you have to do, you do what you want to do. Everybody has different priorities. I make sure I never eat things that I react to. And I also go out of my way to avoid industrial seed oils.

Things I don't react to but are low in nutrition, I don't consider them "cheating", but I try to minimize them, as I don't have room in my diet for empty calories except as a treat.

Comment

I think that for most people who have had weight issues, 100% compliance is the best choice. I think people addicted to overeating should be treated like alcoholics. It's very rare that an alcoholic can "casually drink", just as it's hard for a an over-eater to "casually eat pizza". It just doesn't work for most.

The problem is that either approach (80/20 or 100%) has an extremely high failure rate. The bottom line is that no method, even most surgeries, have very good long term success rates. Most diets have 95%+ long term failure rates. (And that might be generous.) We like to believe Paleo is different, but only time and data can prove that. (Remember, it's much more likely that the people who stay with this forum long term are the successful ones. For every one of them, there are 100's who have come and gone.)

For myself, I try to go 100%. When I fail, I just start up 100% again. Now, I do allow potatoes and rice, so 100% is probably a lot easier for me than others. If I slip and have pizza, then the next meal I start fresh. The end result is probably 90% adherence.

Comment

I know beer is a "cheat" but I am interested in seeing how many people include wine in their normal day to day (maybe not everyday but, say you enjoy it more often than you dont) lifestyle..I drink about once a month (& sadly its normally a whole bottle) but I want to start adding wine in maybe every weekend. I know I probably cant get away with drinking the whole bottle every week, but I know if I allow myself to have it more often I wont freak out & feel like I have to get as much in me as I can that day..you know?
                    I have about 10 more pounds that I would like to lose, but they are vanity pounds & I'm to the point where my sanity & social life need more attention than my waist line..
                    anyone have any luck including wine? Or is it more of a rare/20% thing?

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post

Just do 100%, easier.
                      The purpose of these forums is to get guidance and support. These kind of comments make me sad. Not everyone is a seasoned veteran, who knows it all or at least think they do. You contradict exactly what the PB book tells people 80/20. This is strictly your opinion. If these posts are getting old to you, don't reply its that simple.

The spirit of this forum is to provide support and share information, these derogatory comments are not helpful nor necessary!

Comment

Add two shades of gray

I feel like I am pretty strict based on what I consider good -- with an obvious PHD bias. My breakdown is:

1) Perfect = 80%: grass fed beef/lamb/clarified butter, wild salmon, veggies, free range eggs, kimchi, natto, bone broth, coconut oil/milk/cream, etc.
                        2) Good in moderation = 15%: sweet/white potatoes, fruit, alcohol, dark chocolate, nuts, unpasteurized cheese, etc.
                        3) Best to minimize = 5%: organic chicken, CAFO beef/pork, lentils, sugar, whole cream for coffee, cheese, etc.
                        4) Poison = ~0%: Wheat (including beer) Soy/Corn oil, MSG, milk, milk chocolate, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by goinggrok View Post
                          The purpose of these forums is to get guidance and support. These kind of comments make me sad. Not everyone is a seasoned veteran, who knows it all or at least think they do. You contradict exactly what the PB book tells people 80/20. This is strictly your opinion. If these posts are getting old to you, don't reply its that simple.

The spirit of this forum is to provide support and share information, these derogatory comments are not helpful nor necessary!
                          Who died and appointed you admin?

When that question was asked, did you tell the questioner the correct number of cheat meals to schedule each week? If not, why not?

Comment

Who died and appointed you admin?

When that question was asked, did you tell the questioner the correct number of cheat meals to schedule each week? If not, why not?
                            Such negativity and hostility....so sad

As for the question, nope didn't answer as...
                            #1...I don't know the answer other than 80/20
                            #2...Everyone perceives 80/20 differently, what might work and be correct for one, may not be what another needs. I believe this is a journey to find what works for our individuality.

Just wanting to see positive feedback, people at least deserve that much.
                            Last edited by goinggrok; 05-24-2013, 08:02 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

People change different habits in their lives in different ways. I've seen people quit cigarettes cold turkey and I've seen them decrease to like four per day, then finally put them down forever.

The 20% imo is because not everyone can afford to be 100%, not everyone needs to lose weight, and not everyone enters with a health problem. Some people just want to find a sustainable, healthy way to live. For those people, eating a burger on bread once a week isn't going to kill them. Pizza out with friends a couple of times a month isn't going to take years off their lives.

If modern illness is a result of a bad diet, and I believe much of it is, it's the chronic eating of unhealthy, non-nutritious foods. It's waking up in the morning and eating a big bowl of cereal, munching throughout the day on 100-calorie snack packs, non-dairy coffee whitener (that is primarily HFCS and corn oil), daily sandwiches and pasta, the vilification of animal products, the eating of sick animals, etc. IOW it's a place of eating and eating and not getting even basic nutrients.

Once you start eating healthfully raised animals and their by-products, organic plants, and some fermented products, you start to improve. Getting rid of the harder stuff - like folks who drink a six pack of soda per day whether sugar or aspartame, or eat cereal and/or bread on a daily basis, you'll get more healthy. Eventually, you just start find yourself wanting the "healthy" stuff more than the crap. Barring those who binge and those who have specific health issues, a few slices of bread per month or some pizza out with friends once in awhile, or even a few beers isn't going to kill you. It's the chronic, daily use of these products - calories with no nutrients or some damaging properties (bad oils and grains) that is making us ill. No one ever died from eating healthfully all day and following it with a small serving of even the worst ice cream.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by bob loblaw View Post
                                ...The problem is that either approach (80/20 or 100%) has an extremely high failure rate. The bottom line is that no method, even most surgeries, have very good long term success rates. Most diets have 95%+ long term failure rates....

For myself, I try to go 100%. When I fail, I just start up 100% again. Now, I do allow potatoes and rice, so 100% is probably a lot easier for me than others. If I slip and have pizza, then the next meal I start fresh. The end result is probably 90% adherence.
                                OP, here's my thoughts (and I'm only using the above two posts as examples; I'm not directing anything at the members themselves.):

The 80/20 rule is just a guideline to point me in the correct direction. One that entails changing my habits and lifestyle. If I think of it in terms of cheating, success or failure then my mindset hasn't changed. I'm still thinking in terms of "OMG, I'm on a diet!!!" instead of "I'm attempting to get, and remain, as healthy as I can."
                                If I, on rare occasions, choose to eat or drink something that is not "not primal" then that is part of enjoying that moment of my life. I don't consider that 'cheating' or 'failing.'
                                Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

Comment

Working...
                                X