No announcement yet.

Eating more protein and constipation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I eat lots... a whole lot...of veggies, some fruit, and I do love my daily ( or twice daily ) coffee. It takes a major schedule change to put me off my pooping.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

I think that no two cases are the same. I've upped my fats hugely over the course of several months and my constipation issues have actually worsened.

Constipation-wise, I'm no better off now than on the SAD. That said, I'm not going to bash this diet. Cutting out processed foods is a no brainer really, even if I do poop less. And I know there are other causes besides diet. Stress, lack of exercise and food intolerances to name a few.

I don't know I'll ever find what works for me. I suspect butter might be a cause. And then again that's virtually pure fat. That's in the list of foods I intend to remove if my current experiments don't help.

Comment

1. As many have said, are you sure it's constipation and not just lack of stool? I've had high-protein weeks where I went 2-4 days between normal bowel movements.

2. Try taking some Natural Calm before bed. You need magnesium in your diet, anyway and it will help move things along, especially in higher doeses.

Comment

When I was on the "Slow-Carb" Diet from the 4-Hour Body, (which I still support but it's not for me), I had a really bad constipation problem, and had to keep my water intake super high or I was very uncomfortable. Everyone said it was from the High Protein, and to drink more water, eat chia seeds, etc. When I stopped eating the Legumes completely, and upped my fat intake, everything settled down, and I really don't drink much water daily. I just don't need it like I used to. I really think (from my experience) that its the legumes, and grains that block us up and cause a need for a ton of water to move everything through.
          My Journal
          sigpic

Comment

How do you find out if you have a Chrohnic infection? What test determines this?
            My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Just found this while loking for cures to constipation:

Avoid high-fat foods. They are hard to digest and can cause digestive spasms.
              Abdominal Bloating and Distention

I'm not sure what to make of all this. It's very frustrating to have so much conflicting information. I mean, who do I believe?

I've been on this forum for a while now and trust that someone reading this will be able to shred that statement. But then again, someone from puristat would be able to 'prove' why fat does cause constipation.

Is there really a right answer to things like this.

I'm beginning to think not.

Not until someone's proved it..

Comment

*shrugs* You can find anything to prove anything. For me, I had really painful constipation eating high fiber (from grains) and I have smooth, pleasant poos eating high fat and with moderate amounts of leafy green vegetables.

I think modern science and medicine has really no clue what is going on with people's bodies, so I eat the way that makes MY body feel good. For me, that has been proven to be low carb, no grain, high fat, moderate protein.

This is my illustration as to how fiber works for me:

fiber by coyotevick, on Flickr
                Last edited by CoyoteVick; 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

Constipation could be from low stomach acid too. I had lots of issues until I started taking HCL with any meal that has a good amount of protein. It's not perfect now, but I would say the constipation is 90% gone. I have some chronic infection (parasite) issues to work through as well. Hopefully, after that things will improve even more.

Comment

Originally posted by randallfloyd View Post
                    Just found this while loking for cures to constipation:

Abdominal Bloating and Distention

I'm not sure what to make of all this. It's very frustrating to have so much conflicting information. I mean, who do I believe?

I've been on this forum for a while now and trust that someone reading this will be able to shred that statement. But then again, someone from puristat would be able to 'prove' why fat does cause constipation.

Is there really a right answer to things like this.

I'm beginning to think not.

Not until someone's proved it..
                    Hah! Thing is, everyone thinks they HAVE proved it. Here's the things the hardcores of any way of eating don't take into account...individual humans are different. Everyone has to figure it out for themselves, in the end, because they're all unique individuals.
                    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Define constipation. Are you feeling the urge and go to push and have a hard time getting it out or are you just not having the urge to go? If its the first one eat more fats. If its the second that could be do to the less carbs ie the less fiber you are eating so you dont have all of the undigested ruffage in your gut needing to be crapped out. Red meat gets fully digested. Fiber doesnt. Im I wrong in this post?

Comment

Bopfer, what's HCL?
                        And have you heard of Diatomaceous Earth? It's supposed to shred parasites up. All natural. I heard about it in this video and have started taking a tablespoon of it daily.

YouTube - THE Kefir Smoothie Recipe

Irishhandgrenade, It's both but more the first one. I'm sure I'm getting most of my calories from fat now. I'm eating all the primal approved fats in large quantities. Everything's fried in butter, CO, olive or avocado oil. Eating plenty of fatty meat. Avocado's, eggs, tons of coconut, etc, etc..

I don't think increasing fats will help as I'm already consuming probably 400% what I was. I'm leaning more towards food intolerances. They're so tough to figure out though! Takes a lot of work.

Comment

HCL = Hydrochloride. It's basically boosts your stomach acid so that you can break down proteins more effectively. If your acid is low, your intestine has to do more work, which leads to slow digestion, constipation and bloating.
                          This is the brand I have been using

I haven't heard of Diatomaceous Earth. I will check it out.

Comment

I have some betaine hcl. You use it every time you eat protein? How many do you take?
                            My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Yes, I take it every time right now. Hopefully, once I get my other issues resolved I won't need it anymore. I take 1 or 2 per meal, depending on how much protein I am eating. The dosage is individual though. Just like the now super enzymes, you want to start at 1 and increase by 1 with each meal until you feel a little burn. Then back it off 1. Each time you feel some burn, back off another 1. I was taking 4 at one point.

Comment

Had similar issues :\

Sooo...I came up with an easy natural smoothie that has 19 grams of fiber. That'll fix it! The recipe and info is on my blog
                                FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

Working...
                                X