High LDL cholesterol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High LDL cholesterol

Ugh - took a little step back with the doc today. My LDL went from 90 to 180 over a year. He said otherwise my health is very good (bp 120 over 70, HDL rose from 50 to 73 over same time period). Been doing primal for 3 months now and given that all the other factors look good he thinks it might be diet. Maybe too much animal protein so doc suggested back down a bit, cut back on dairy (although it's not that much - a little feta cheese with breakfast and while milk cottage cheese a few times a week). I looked back over my numbers and I'm averaging 180-200 g of protein daily (same for fat) so cutting back won't hurt appetite-wise too much...

I'm 6-1 218 lbs 40 year old male and pretty active - walk 5 hrs a week off more, paddle surf 2-3x a week, lift weights 2x a week, and a weekly 15' high intensity workout (usually). Plus chasing my 2 year old and bouncing a fussy 3 month old often...

Anyone know if any natural supplements will help? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

5 Reasons Not to Worry About Your Cholesterol Numbers -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

and

The straight dope on cholesterol
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

AJR,

Did you work out the night before or on the morning, but before, your blood was drawn?

Did your doctor check CRP or homocysteine levels?

What were your triglyceride readings?

The BP of 120/70...are you on medication? If not that is awesome and if you regularly take BP and the averages are anywhere close to that, gives a more appropriate reflection of your baseline BP.

Comment

I did standup paddlesurf for 1.5 hours that morning before my blood work. No medication for blood pressure (6 years ago I got off both bp and cholesterol meds). I'll have to get a copy of the lab work to answer the rest...

Comment

You are basically in the same boat as me, although you exercise much more . I personally think that you have nothing to worry about, but if you want to worry anyway and lower your cholesterol, just reduce your dairy fats, which will lower both your LDL and HDL. It won't make you healthier though.

p.s. The primer in my sig has good info.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

In the absence of inflammation high cholesterol is a sign of good health (within reason). There is no disputing that if you really read the literature. Curious what your trigs are at.....

Comment

Q: do doctors even know what LDL is measuring? Or what a good LDL number is?

They don't have a control group.

Comment

Get the rest of your lipid numbers. Good ratios to look at are total-to-HDL cholesterol (under 5 = good, under 3.5 = excellent). Also trigs-to-HDL is another great number, shooting for a ratio of 1 or less will put you in outstanding health. If your doctor is really worried about your LDL cholesterol, ask for an LDL particle count. If your LDL particle count isn't high, your LDL cholesterol is pretty much irrelevant.

Comment

AJR:

Just curious, did you happen to change the type or amount of salt that you use?

When I started eating primal, I stopped using iodized salt and started using Himalayan pink salt. I had my cholesterol tested four months after starting primal and my LDL had gone up dramatically. I then read that iodine deficiency can cause increased LDL, so I started back with iodized salt and added a couple of kelp tablets per day. My LDL dropped back to normal in a month.

My wife had a history of high cholesterol and she had avoided salt for years. So, I got her using iodized salt and the kelp tablets and her total cholesterol went from 250 to 198 in one month.

Comment

No - no change in type or quantity of salt...

Bloodwork results:
                    Total cholesterol 266
                    HDL 73
                    Trigs 52
                    LDL 183
                    Chol/HDLC ratio 3.6

Comment

Originally posted by AJR View Post
                      No - no change in type or quantity of salt...

Bloodwork results:
                      Total cholesterol 266
                      HDL 73
                      Trigs 52
                      LDL 183
                      Chol/HDLC ratio 3.6
                      Right, so if we convert them to ratios, here's how it breaks down:
                      TotC/HDL = 3.6 (ideally < 5)
                      Trig/HDL = 0.7 (ideally < 2)
                      LDL/HDL = 2.5 (ideally < 4.3)

I'll let you interpret those results yourself.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Your ratios are solid. To be completely sure, get an LDL particle count.

Comment

Originally posted by primalmedic413 View Post
                          Your ratios are solid. To be completely sure, get an LDL particle count.
                          I agree...totally solid ratios. Trigs are also significantly low. Good going.

BP is usually my number 1 measure for cardiovascular health. Some medical reports are stating that BP is the number 1 factor in long healthy life.

Anyways, if I was someone with those numbers I would not be worrying too much. Also, irregardless of the numbers, if you lead a lifestyle low in uncontrolled stress, low in excessive/unmanageable inflammation, that's the keys to preventing heart attacks, strokes.

Comment

I'm more or less in the same boat. Had my bloodwork done -- all is excellent except for LDL cholesterol. And yes, I had a particle count done and it's high. Specifically:

LDL-P 1905 (that's about 95% percentile)
                            LDL-C 160
                            APO-B 120

TC 250

The rest is pretty much perfect

TG 51
                            HDL-C 80
                            LDL pattern A
                            small LDL-P is only 149
                            HDL-P 37

My BP is normal, my inflammation markers are low, my glucose/insulin is fine.

I am well aware of the variety of sources which say cholesterol numbers don't matter. However I am also aware of a variety of sources which say they do.

Comment

Thanks everyone - this is a great education. Stress level is pretty low - job is boring, marriage is wonderful... the only stress is being a proud dad of a 2 year old and 3 month old sons...

What's scary is that traditional medicine thinks this number is high. With the recent moves to set insurance premiums based on the individual's numbers I get worried. I'm hoping it's a slow transition or many of its could get unfairly charged more because we're not consider "healthy"...

Comment

Working...
                              X