Self confessed cereal killer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self confessed cereal killer

Hi, my name is CaveBug, and I love cereal. There, I said it. It is my weakness and it's a bad one too. There is nothing redemptive about it at all, just milk and grains. I don't understand. I used to really love bread, not anymore and oh so many other SAD foods don't really trigger me anymore but there is something about cereal.

Has anyone else had a hard time kicking the cereal habit? Tips? Tricks?
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

There are lots of recipes for grain-free granola around, with raw milk or crap-free almond milk, if you need a substitute. Or maybe you could try upping the primal-friend carbs?

Comment

Cereal addict here too. My wife eats Quaker Oat squares and my daughter loves Capn Crunch. I combine them on carb reload days 1x week. Other than that I cant touch a bowl because it turns into 2 bowls every time. Absolutely no self control.

Comment

what's wrong with milk? how about some gluten free cereal or granola?

Comment

real berries > crunchberries

add some walnuts for texture and cream for milky fatty goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by CaveBug View Post
            Tips? Tricks?
            1)don't buy it
            2)eat some bacon and eggs instead ( which will be so good you forget all about the cereal)

Comment

I'm guessing it's more ritual and less genuine carb need? If so you could maybe undermine it by defining cereal as plain puffed rice (at least get gluten/sugar out of the equation). Over time a protein breakfast or no breakfast might become more attractive.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by CaveBug View Post
                Hi, my name is CaveBug, and I love cereal. There, I said it. It is my weakness and it's a bad one too. There is nothing redemptive about it at all, just milk and grains. I don't understand. I used to really love bread, not anymore and oh so many other SAD foods don't really trigger me anymore but there is something about cereal.

Has anyone else had a hard time kicking the cereal habit? Tips? Tricks?
                SO FUNNY! I sooo miss my Kashi Heart to Heart with nuts and berries. I've only been Primal for a week but I open my pantry and look at my cereal and say, miss you baby. (((sniff)))

I think it's just hard in the beginning and like any old flame we'll forget them when we find something better. I'm thinking I'm going to pursue the crustless quiche next.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  1)don't buy it
                  2)eat some bacon and eggs instead ( which will be so good you forget all about the cereal)
                  This is what I was about to say, almost word for word.

The seared flesh of dead animals is a MUCH better breakfast than soggy horse feed, especially with runny egg yolks.

Comment

Cereal used to be a huge downfall in my diet. Would eat a box and half gallon of milk in a couple hours no problem. I went cold turkey on wheat and sugar for about a month and the cereal cravings luckily went away along with the other SAD foods. It's great to be off that stuff, those binges were some killer calories.

My suggestion: Trick yourself: Replace it with another similar food you like. For example, make a bowl of chopped fruit, yogurt, and maybe some nuts, and eat with a spoon in a bowl.

If you can't live without, use it as your carb refeed food once every week or every other week to limit the intake and don't feel bad about it. It's serving a purpose at that point.
                    Last edited by prime11; 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Cereal is for kids. Just feel ashamed with each bite at your immaturity. Cry over it. Then move on.

Comment

I'm with you 100%. I never crave bread or pasta, but cereal? I could eat it for every meal.

Here's what I've been doing as a substitute. It's more like an oatmeal than a cold cereal but it kills my cravings:

- 1 scoop egg white protein powder (I use Jay Robb's vanilla)
                        - 1 cup butternut squash
                        - butter
                        - coconut milk or almond milk to taste

cook it over the stove, it's amazing

Comment

Presumably the 'just eat bacon and eggs' isn't working, or you wouldn't be asking.

So, first up cut the gluten connection. Go for a GF cereal. Start with a nice sugary one if you want. Try some different ones. Eat double serves. Whatever it takes just get your body to lose the physical gluten craving - it will take at least two weeks, but allow three.

Once you are over that hurdle, then start to introduce eggs as well as cereal, to start getting your head and body used to the idea of eating protein of a morning. Eat the eggs first or second doesn't matter.

Then, start swapping for less exciting GF cereals. So working on the sugar addiction. And take care - rice puffs often do contain gluten and sugar, so read the label. Start 50/50 with your sugary cereal in the bowl. After a another few weeks, you may find you don't mind the occasional day with just eggs and no cereal, then increase those until you reach your goal.

You are trying to break physical addictions to sugar and gluten, as well as psychological habits, so it is reasonable to attack it bit by bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X