Bulletproof Coffe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulletproof Coffe

Ok, people what are your thoughts on Bulletproof Coffee? I guess, it's black 2Tbs of Butter and 1Tbs of Coconut oil. I have done no research on this, but I've hearing about this recipe and people using it for essential fats. Let hear it! Pros? Cons?

~Rookie

Well, I for one don't like the taste on my tongue. But That's all in preference

Comment

I like the taste of bulletproof coffee. You can add some other stuff to make it even better. Try adding a little vanilla extract and/or cocoa powder.

I have just about stopped making bulletproof coffee though because my weight was creeping up and I honestly did not seem to get any boost, mentally or physically. I was making ~20 ounces and drinking that instead of my typical black coffee that I bring from home. In the end I do and feel better when I am Intermittent fasting without any (fat) calories in the morning.
      Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie44 View Post
        Ok, people what are your thoughts on Bulletproof Coffee? I guess, it's black 2Tbs of Butter and 1Tbs of Coconut oil. I have done no research on this, but I've hearing about this recipe and people using it for essential fats. Let hear it! Pros? Cons?

~Rookie
        People have different opinions on it, but I view it as an aid to intermittant fasting. Try it with pure MCT oil instead of cocount oil some time, it does make a difference. When I drink bulletproof coffee, it typically replaces breakfast AND lunch and I eat at dinner if I don't want to continue the fast. Having a cup of bulletproof coffee alongside a huge breakfast of meat and eggs just seems strange to me. Try treating it as a temporary food subsititute, not something to be consumed with food of any kind. The mental benefits of the caffiene and MCTs are a fun benefit also. Read more about it on Dave Asprey's site if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Markbt View Post
          People have different opinions on it, but I view it as an aid to intermittant fasting. Try it with pure MCT oil instead of cocount oil some time, it does make a difference. When I drink bulletproof coffee, it typically replaces breakfast AND lunch and I eat at dinner if I don't want to continue the fast. Having a cup of bulletproof coffee alongside a huge breakfast of meat and eggs just seems strange to me. Try treating it as a temporary food subsititute, not something to be consumed with food of any kind. The mental benefits of the caffiene and MCTs are a fun benefit also. Read more about it on Dave Asprey's site if you are interested.
          Dumb question maybe, but what is MCT oil?

Comment

Dumb question maybe, but what is MCT oil?
            Medium chain triglyceride oil. It is useful because as compared to other types of fats, medium chain trigylerides become metabolized for energy much more efficiently. So use LOTS of it in your coffee and get caffeine plus the energy from the MCT fats. It's the point of bulletproof tea/coffee. Coconut oil is also a rich source of MCT fats.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I add cinnamon to mine. Keeps me satiated for hours and it's something I have when I know I won't be able to eat a decent meal for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                Medium chain triglyceride oil. It is useful because as compared to other types of fats, medium chain trigylerides become metabolized for energy much more efficiently. So use LOTS of it in your coffee and get caffeine plus the energy from the MCT fats. It's the point of bulletproof tea/coffee. Coconut oil is also a rich source of MCT fats.
                There's Coconut oil in it already. So, are you suggesting to use MCT from a different source? Such as?

Comment

maybe they use this or the one recommended by the bulletproof guy

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Mct 100% Oil, 32-Fluid Ounces: Health & Personal Care

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

There's Coconut oil in it already. So, are you suggesting to use MCT from a different source? Such as?
                    MCT fats are saturated fats of a medium chain length which allows them to be quickly metabolized for energy. Coconut oil being primarily saturated fats, is a rich source of MCTs but it also has triglycerides of other lengths as well.

MCT oil is concentrated to contain ONLY medium chain triglycerides to maximize the amount of energy you get per calorie. There is no such thing as a naturally occurring MCT oil. Bulletproof guy uses butter for taste mostly and adds his own "special" MCT oil for energy.

Many people don't use MCT oils, preferring the taste of coconut oil and just using that, sans even the butter. I mean, more coconut oil means more MCT content for sure.
                    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

My thought is that I'm just going to nibble on a tablespoon of butter while my coffee brews, and then drink my coffee with heavy cream. I'll save the coconut oil for cooking.
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                        MCT fats are saturated fats of a medium chain length which allows them to be quickly metabolized for energy. Coconut oil being primarily saturated fats, is a rich source of MCTs but it also has triglycerides of other lengths as well.

MCT oil is concentrated to contain ONLY medium chain triglycerides to maximize the amount of energy you get per calorie. There is no such thing as a naturally occurring MCT oil. Bulletproof guy uses butter for taste mostly and adds his own "special" MCT oil for energy.

Many people don't use MCT oils, preferring the taste of coconut oil and just using that, sans even the butter. I mean, more coconut oil means more MCT content for sure.
                        Do you think coffee could heat up the butter or oil enough to effect the quality or amount of MCT's?

Comment

Originally posted by Z0oom View Post
                          Do you think coffee could heat up the butter or oil enough to effect the quality or amount of MCT's?
                          Potentially, yes. Although I suspect the amount is minimal if any. Coconut oil and MCT oil will be more stable than the butter because of their higher saturated fat levels, but even here the difference is probably minimal.

I wouldn't worry too much. I would think your biggest concern is overdoing calories from bulletproof coffee or tea. Just make sure you account for them when calculating what you need for a day.

Comment

Bulletproof coffee can be adapted to cocoa.
                            I only use one teaspoon of coconut oil. Coconut oil is close enough to MCT oil that I don't bother with special ordering.

Since we are fat-burners, drinking bulletproof coffee will break a fast. Sorry, it's a meal.
                            Bulletproof coffee doesn't have much in the way of nutrients compared to meat or kale. It's a dessert.

Bulletproof coffee is a major calorie bomb. As a rule Primals aren't supposed to count calories, but this is an exception to that rule. Even fat burners can gain fat from eating too much fat. The reason that Primals don't need to count calories is that we depend on stomach fullness. Since bulletproof coffee is liquid fat, we can chow down 300 calories before we feel full. Easy to overdo the fat calories.
                            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

BP coffee used to be my breakfast and lunch. Until I could ditch the morning fat as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X