Introducing: the No Plastic Diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing: the No Plastic Diet

I have a friend who has invented her own diet. She is an avid surfer and one of her biggest pet peeves is picking up plastic on the beach. She can't help but pick it up if she sees any and she's noticed how bleepin much of it is strewn about the beach. So she has decided to never buy anything that is packaged in plastic. She gets most of her food at the farmers market now and has lost about 8 pounds just by not eating food that comes in plastic packaging! (I suppose surfing every day doesn't hurt either)
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Interesting concept. Makes sense especially if thats what you see all the time on the beach.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Whenever I buy produce I always just put it in my basket without the plastic bag, I'll be washing it anyway.

/contributed
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I, for one, do not eat plastic. Ever. No need for the 80/20 rule on that one.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

LOL. Good way of avoiding packaged things.

I have to use produce bags if I go to the market (we go to the commissary and they get all riled if you don't), but I'm going to be getting resusable produce bags soon, to add to my reusable grocery bags. Probably some reusable snack type bags to replace ziplocs too. There's some decent sources out there (and you can make your own, but I need a sewing machine!)
          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Great idea! The only thing that I buy in plastic anymore is a weekly tub of organic salad greens. Even then, I'm still looking for a better farmer's market when I move to Austin this summer and hopefully drop this last "packaged" food item from my list.

Wait, I lied...I occasionally buy some frozen berries and broccoli in plastic bags, as well. Still, the "no plastic" rule seems a good way to easily avoid lots of processed food; whole food doesn't generally come in a package.

Comment

From a health point of view the "no cardboard" diet might be a better mantra, but as she does it at the farmers market works too.
              It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Good point, Sir Grandma (I felt it necessary to address you by your soon-to-be restored title!), Pop-Tarts come in plastic-free cardboard packaging and are the probably one of the least desirable foods in the entire grocery store.

Comment

And Stabby, going by your picture, I hope you don't wash your produce in a creek.
                  http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

If you go by his picture I'd me more worried about what else he does in the creek... :-P
                    Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

Comment

If you want to see what plastic does away from the beaches, Google "Pacific Gyre" and weep.

When I found that I can't even recycle the clamshell containers full of strawberries, etc., I just stopped buying anything coming in them. It also eliminates a lot of food which has been shipped from too far away.

Comment

Xenoestrogens...preservatives...additives.. makes sense
                        sigpic
                        In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Originally posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
                          If you want to see what plastic does away from the beaches, Google "Pacific Gyre" and weep.
                          I think that I did tear up the first time I saw that; it's difficult not to weep when presented with direct evidence of our species' continual disregard for the surrounding environment.

Comment

There is a brilliant documentary called PLASTIC PLANET! It deals with plastic in everyday life.
                            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292648/

Comment

Seeing that you're from SF, you might already be aware of these guys:

http://www.theplastiki.com/

Happened to see a clip on them today.... they were discussing about 5 areas globally within our oceans... due to the way the currents flow and such, these 5 areas are swarming with plastic trash. It's like a floating dump!

What a mess we've made!

Comment

Working...
                              X