Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar cravings at night - when do they stop??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar cravings at night - when do they stop??

Hey yall.. fairly healthy athlete who went primal 2 weeks ago here..

I've noticed something disturbing lately, that when I get home from being out (like past 1am) I have intense sugar cravings and confession: this has included reese's pieces, brownies, ice cream, and biting into cold cookie dough (totaling 30+g sugar/night). Obviously these are leftovers from 1+ month ago that I still have lying around, and even though I know it disturbs sleep and is terrible for insulin, I can't suppress the urge.

a) Is there any "sweet" substance one would eat to compensate (perhaps diet sprite) and b), does this urge dissipate over time? It seems to only happen on weekends when I go out. I'm wondering if anyone else has faced this issue as it's not addressed in his book.

A) I like fruit, which seems sweet to me. It is real food unlike diet sprite.

B) Yes.

C) it is 1 am. Go to bed. You can't eat sugar when you are sleeping.

Comment

Is there any reason you can't throw this stuff away and have a piece of cooked chicken breast handy when you start to have cravings?

Comment

Eat fruit or dark chocolate instead.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

If it is psychological instead of physiological hunger, have a glass of water or herbal tea and hop to bed before your body can demand sugar again. Sugar cravings do go away, if you stop succumbing to them.
          "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

12 week health challenge (95%, more moving)
          Start -- March 1st -- 173.4
          End -- May 24th -- 158.6

Comment

Here's thirty success tips for the first 30 days and it talks about dealing with cravings and such. I've gotten a lot of great feedback on it.
            Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

Comment

Oooor just eat some sugar and stop beating yourself up over it. Fruit, chocolate, ice cream, gummy bears, jello, all can be healthy in the right context. You will most likely sleep better after eating some sugar as well.

Comment

Mmmmmm ginger snaps with cold whole milk!!!! Seriously, eat something you like or crave just don't turn it into a blowout.
                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  Is there any reason you can't throw this stuff away and have a piece of cooked chicken breast handy when you start to have cravings?
                  "I'm craving chocolate, but I think a piece of chicken breast will cure my craving" said nobody ever.

To OP, it depends on the person. Some do really well on Primal and it cures their need for sugar, while others just learn to keep it under control. You can give in once in awhile and it won't kill you. I really do think the best advice is just to go to bed. More sleep + no bingeing = win all around.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrone View Post
                    ...this has included reese's pieces, brownies, ice cream, and biting into cold cookie dough (totaling 30+g sugar/night). Obviously these are leftovers from 1+ month ago that I still have lying around, and even though I know it disturbs sleep and is terrible for insulin, I can't suppress the urge.
                    Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                    "I'm craving chocolate, but I think a piece of chicken breast will cure my craving" said nobody ever.
                    That hardly seems like justification for continuing to keep a stash of utter crap that doesn't even have enough chocolate in it to satisfy real chocolate cravings. I have indeed found that a serving of chicken breast will kill a craving for almost anything.

Comment

That hardly seems like justification for continuing to keep a stash of utter crap that doesn't even have enough chocolate in it to satisfy real chocolate cravings. I have indeed found that a serving of chicken breast will kill a craving for almost anything.
                      I'm envious. I've found that personally, nothing but sugar kills the craving once my head has chocolate in mind.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

When I have one of these (often) I go to fridge, get out a red grapefruit, half and section it and eat it. Seems sweet, get to chew through hunger, and I had to get up to do it. NEVER, and I mean NEVER, do I keep anything next to my chair for a snack, even chocolate
                        mike

Comment

Sorry guys - I finally used the search function about this topic, and found that there are several other people out there that are suffering from the same dillemma. I guess that just means that I've adapted to eating 50+ grams of sugar every night a lil too much (as I feared)

Ok, I may just try the chicken breast thing. But, I literally don't think i can sleep without the chocolate! You must admit, it does release some sort of dopamine that makes you feel comfortable enough to sleep. Maybe I need another girlfriend.

Comment

I may also try a half-can of Diet Sprite. No caffiene, no sugar, no carbs, and should replicate the feeling just fine.
                            I just haven't had soda in so long tho

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrone View Post
                              Sorry guys - I finally used the search function about this topic, and found that there are several other people out there that are suffering from the same dillemma. I guess that just means that I've adapted to eating 50+ grams of sugar every night a lil too much (as I feared)

Ok, I may just try the chicken breast thing. But, I literally don't think i can sleep without the chocolate! You must admit, it does release some sort of dopamine that makes you feel comfortable enough to sleep. Maybe I need another girlfriend.
                              If you do decide to go with the chocolate, it should be the darkest chocolate you can tolerate. Brownies and cookie dough have very little chocolate in them. They can never satisfy your chocolate cravings.

Comment

Working...
                              X