Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

skorpion317: Steak. Eggs. Let's do this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skorpion317: Steak. Eggs. Let's do this.

ANOTHER Steak and Eggs thread?! Sure, why not. All the cool kids are doing it.

Started S&E on Saturday, May 11th, 2013. I weighed 198 lbs.

As of today, Friday, May 17, 2013, I weigh 192.4 lbs. 5.6 lbs. lost in a week.

I'm not sure of my body fat % - my bathroom scale hasn't been reading my BF% for the last week. Kind of irritating. I know these scales aren't 100% accurate, but at least it gives me a ballpark reading. If I have to estimate, I'd say I'm around 21-23%. Still have some flab around my abdomen, which I'm sure will hang on to the bitter end. I've noticed some fat loss around my upper body, which is nice. I just want the damn belly fat to go away for good.

My S&E plan, for anybody who was wondering, is the following:

Food - Grass-fed beef, bison, venison, or elk, eggs from pastured chickens. The only condiment I allow besides salt and pepper is hot sauce. I use either Cholula hot sauce, or sriracha. I drink only water.

Exercise - Weightlifting, 2 workouts - "A" and "B"

Workout "A"

Deadlifts - 1x5, then 2x3 with 15 lbs. more added to the bar.
    Military press - 3x5
    Shoulder push ups - 3x5
    Bicep curls - 3x5

Workout "B"

Bench press - 1x5, then 2x3 with 15 lbs. more added to the bar.
    Squat - 1x5, then 2x3 with 15 lbs. more added to the bar.
    Bent-over row - 3x5
    Tricep extensions - 3x5

I lift Monday-Wednesday-Friday, alternating those 2 workouts. I run sprints on Sundays, either ten 100-yard sprints or as many hill sprints as I can manage. I walk at least a mile or 2 a day.

I've been having some issues with 2 of my lifts lately. My bench press has been stalling out around 200 lbs./215 lbs. for the last couple weeks. I haven't been able to progress past that level. My deadlift is still increasing, but I've only recently been able to do 1x5, then 1x3 +15 lbs. I just can't get the bar up for the 2nd set of 3. I don't know if it's because the weights are getting decently heavy (currently 365/380), if it's mental or form-related, or what. Still, I'm adding weight to the bar, which is good. All other lifts are progressing nicely.

Food-wise, I've been having roughly a 1/2 lb. of steak and 2 eggs during each meal. I eat once in the morning and once at night. I've been alternating between scrambled, hard-boiled, and fried eggs. So far, I've been hitting the 1g protein/lb. of lean mass mark, +/- a few grams here or there.

My goal is 15% body fat or lower.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Just finished making my breakfast/dinner for tomorrow - Scotch eggs! 1.09 lbs. of grass-fed ground beef (20% fat), 4 hard-boiled pastured eggs. I'll have 2 for breakfast and 2 for dinner. 153g protein, 110g fat.

Comment

Looks like a great plan. Glad you are joining in the fun. We have quite a crew of interesting folks participating, some great characters full of interesting opinions and great results. Wishing you the best!
      Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Just got done lifting, workout "B". Weights (in lbs.) were:

Bench - 195/210 (I didn't have a spotter available, so I lifted what I knew I could do without assistance)
        Squat - 265/280 (new PRs)
        Bent-over row - 150
        Tricep extensions - 95

My squat is still progressing well. It's still a little weak compared to my deadlift, but I'm working on it.

Comment

Here's a couple pics with my current weight:

And a comparison pic, with me at my heaviest:

Comment

Took some measurements with skinfold calipers, and came up with a current BF of 20%. Seems about right, maybe a little low.

I'm holding off on a carb refeed until the end of week 2. The general consensus seems to be that refeeds work best when body fat is under 20%.

Comment

Wow you've done an incredible job! What a difference from when you started....Congrats and respect!
              Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                Wow you've done an incredible job! What a difference from when you started....Congrats and respect!
                Thanks! It's nice to finally have my goal within reach.

Comment

End of week 1 update:

5/11 - 198 lbs.
                  5/13 - 196 lbs.
                  5/15 - 193.8 lbs.
                  5/17 - 192.4 lbs.
                  5/19 - 192 lbs.

Week 2 - I think I'm going to add in intermittent fasting. I currently work the midnight shift, so I leave work at 8 AM. It takes me an hour to get home (damn NJ traffic), and I can wait another hour to eat. That gives me an eating window of 10 AM to 6 PM, for a 16/8 fasting cycle (a la Leangains). That should help with cutting these last few lbs. of fat.

Comment

Great progress Skorp. Very impressive indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                      Great progress Skorp. Very impressive indeed.
                      Thanks!

I lifted today, workout "A". I loaded up 370 lbs. for my first set (1x5) of deadlifts. I did 4 reps, but my grip started failing on the 5th rep. I then loaded 385 lbs. on the bar for my 2nd set. I couldn't get the bar off the ground. I made multiple attempts, but never got the bar up. I decided to deload so I could still get some work done. I went down to 345 lbs. - couldn't lift it. Angry, I went down to 295 lbs., which I lifted without issue, 2x5. My lower back and legs had a bit of jello feeling to them. Could my CNS have been THAT fried from the first heavy set? Maybe my newbie gains are finally running out (I've been lifting regularly for a year + a couple months).

Comment

My scale finally started reading my BF% again, giving me a reading of 23.5%. That seems more accurate, given my appearance, than the 20% reading from the calipers.

Comment

Just finished lifting, workout "B". Still hitting a wall with my bench press. Did 200 lbs. (1x5), then loaded up 215. I managed 2 sets of 2 reps each, failing on the 3rd rep each of those two sets.

Set another squat PR, 270 (1x5) and 285 lbs. (2x3). Still making forward progress here.

Bent-over row, 155 lbs. (3x5), and tricep extensions, 95 lbs. (3x5)

I'm starting to lose a bit of abdominal fat, and lost some inner thigh fat as well.

Comment

skorp - excellent progress dude.

How much are you eating? Are you tracking it? I know that when I do the steak & eggs thing I bonk if I don't eat enough. When going VLC like this, I need to eat a lot more (usually about 3.5-4K calories) to keep lifting at a consistent rate. I don't try to go for PRs or expect strength to increase during this time either.

For the bench, switch to a slight incline (about 30deg) for a little while. It has helped me in the past a couple of times. Usually do it for 2-3 weeks in place of flat bench and then go back to flat bench.
                            People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
                              skorp - excellent progress dude.

How much are you eating? Are you tracking it? I know that when I do the steak & eggs thing I bonk if I don't eat enough. When going VLC like this, I need to eat a lot more (usually about 3.5-4K calories) to keep lifting at a consistent rate. I don't try to go for PRs or expect strength to increase during this time either.

For the bench, switch to a slight incline (about 30deg) for a little while. It has helped me in the past a couple of times. Usually do it for 2-3 weeks in place of flat bench and then go back to flat bench.
                              Thanks!

I'm eating at least 1/2 lb. of steak and 2 eggs at each meal. I've been averaging between 1500-1700 calories/day, about 151g protein/day, and about 100g fat/day. I'm still trying to lose body fat, so I need to eat at a caloric deficit. I realize this isn't ideal for my lifting performance, but I've been eating at a caloric deficit for the past year, and I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life. I think my glycogen stores are pretty depleted, as I have not done a carb refeed yet. I read somewhere that people with 20%+ body fat shouldn't do weekly refeeds until they lean out a bit. I was planning on doing one this Sunday, the end of Steak and Eggs Week 2.

I'm planning on switching up my lifting routine. I will keep workouts "A" and "B", but I will change the weights and reps. I've been lifting heavy weight, low reps for the past year. Now, whichever workout has 2 days that week will be volume days, with lower weight and higher reps (8-10 rep range). The workout with 1 day that week will be heavy weight, low reps (3-5 rep range). So it'll look like this:

Week 1 - ABA - "A" has volume workouts, "B" is heavy
                              Week 2 - BAB - "B" has volume workouts, "A" is heavy

And so on for Week 3, 4, etc. I'll be getting more work done on the volume days, but I won't be pushing my body near its max all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X