Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

skorpion317: Steak. Eggs. Let's do this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Good idea to switch up the volume. Hopefully that will get you past some sticking points in the training.

    As far as the diet goes, try to get the fat : protein ratio to 1.25:1. Yesterday (also doing the steak and eggs thing) I had 259g protein and 253g fat (8g carbs). Still not ideal as I would want the fat to be more than the protein but you can only do so much with S&E. Ditching the whites and using yolks only helps a lot to get the ratio in order. You could also down some coconut oil if you can stomach it. This is only temporary (a few weeks) but upping the fats really helps, especially with lifting.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

    Comment


    • #17
      Did my first volume workout today, workout "A":

      Deadlift - 305 (1x10), 325 (2x8)
      Military press - 105 (3x5)
      Shoulder push ups - 3x5
      Bicep curls - 95 (3x5)

      Felt good afterward, not totally spent.
      "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

      Comment


      • #18
        1st carb refeed day today. I'd been looking forward to this, as 2 weeks straight of steak and eggs was starting to get a little monotonous. Here's my menu for the day:

        Breakfast:

        2 Paleo banana pancakes (2 small bananas, 1 egg, a little vanilla and cinnamon)
        2 tbsp maple syrup
        2 glasses of orange juice

        Lunch:

        Sweet potato, eggs and beef hash (2 shredded small sweet potatoes, 1/4 lb. of ground beef, 2 eggs, carmelized onions)
        Water with a splash of lemon and lime juices

        Dinner:

        Mofongo (mashed plantains with garlic and bacon)
        1/4 lb. of ground beef
        Water with a splash of lemon and lime juices

        Comes out to 91g protein, 81g of fat, and 216g of carbs.

        I ran hill sprints today. Managed to 5, improving from last time. They wear me out more than my 100-yard sprints do, so I might do them again next week.
        "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

        Comment


        • #19
          A little food porn for everybody...this was dinner:

          "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

          Comment


          • #20
            Looking at your pictures between now and when you were at your heaviest- I'm wondering if at least some of what is around your belly might just be loose skin. That, unfortunately, doesn't care what your macros and lifting routines are . . .

            However- the overall difference between then and now is IMPRESSIVE!
            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

            Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

            And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

            Comment


            • #21
              Can this steak & eggs thing work without much in the way of a workout, or a lesser workout like dumbbells?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                Looking at your pictures between now and when you were at your heaviest- I'm wondering if at least some of what is around your belly might just be loose skin. That, unfortunately, doesn't care what your macros and lifting routines are . . .

                However- the overall difference between then and now is IMPRESSIVE!
                Thanks!

                I'm positive that I still have some abdominal fat. It's too thick to just be loose skin. That being said, I have seen a slight fat reduction over the last 2 weeks. Mostly on my upper body, but my sides seem to have gotten a little smaller.
                "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by EMonger View Post
                  Can this steak & eggs thing work without much in the way of a workout, or a lesser workout like dumbbells?
                  I'd at least do some kind of strength workout. If you don't have access to barbells, dumbells or kettlebells are a good idea. A good bodyweight program can help too.
                  "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    End of Week 2 update:

                    5/21 - 190.2 lbs.
                    5/23 - 190 lbs.
                    5/25 - 190.4 lbs.
                    5/26 - 192 lbs. Refeed day.

                    I hovered between 188.8 lbs. and 191 lbs. this week. I seem to have lost some fat from my upper body, and a little from my abdomen. The refeed was refreshing from a mental standpoint. We'll see how much it helped during week 3.
                    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Lifted yesterday, workout "A":

                      Bench - 175 lbs. (1x10), 185 lbs. (2x8) - volume day
                      Squat - 275 lbs. (1x5), 290 lbs. (2x3) - Haven't hit a wall with squats yet, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll add volume when my squat progress stops.
                      Bent-over row - 155 lbs. (3x5)
                      Tricep extensions - 95 lbs. (3x5)
                      "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by skorpion317 View Post
                        Lifted yesterday, workout "A":

                        Bench - 175 lbs. (1x10), 185 lbs. (2x8) - volume day
                        Squat - 275 lbs. (1x5), 290 lbs. (2x3) - Haven't hit a wall with squats yet, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll add volume when my squat progress stops.
                        Bent-over row - 155 lbs. (3x5)
                        Tricep extensions - 95 lbs. (3x5)
                        Nice results! A little over 8 lbs. in 17 days is tremendous. It would be nice to get to your goal weight of 185 but body fat % is probably a more important measurement as I am sure you are gaining some muscle weight.
                        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                        https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                          Nice results! A little over 8 lbs. in 17 days is tremendous. It would be nice to get to your goal weight of 185 but body fat % is probably a more important measurement as I am sure you are gaining some muscle weight.
                          Thanks!

                          Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get a good BF% reading from my scale for over a week. Visually, I don't think I look too different. My wife says I have more definition, but I don't think I've lost a huge amount of body fat. This has been a recurring problem for me - I lose some body fat, but a little bit of lean mass goes with it. If I try to up my protein and calorie intake to keep lean body mass, my weight loss stalls.
                          "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by skorpion317 View Post
                            Thanks!

                            Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get a good BF% reading from my scale for over a week. Visually, I don't think I look too different. My wife says I have more definition, but I don't think I've lost a huge amount of body fat. This has been a recurring problem for me - I lose some body fat, but a little bit of lean mass goes with it. If I try to up my protein and calorie intake to keep lean body mass, my weight loss stalls.
                            I hear you. What I did was forget about my weight and went super intense on the weight training, always forcing more weight, reps or sets. Ended up gaining a couple of lbs. overall but dropped body fat at the same time. According to my calculations I gained 7 lbs. of muscle and dropped a couple of lbs. of fat.
                            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                            https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Is the steak & eggs plan suitable for those only interested in losing fat, or is this really a muscle-add thing?

                              --

                              What would Andy Taylor do?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by EMonger View Post
                                Is the steak & eggs plan suitable for those only interested in losing fat, or is this really a muscle-add thing?
                                It was used by old-school bodybuilders to drop fat before a competition. It was intended to cut fat while preserving lean mass. If you eat above maintenance calorie levels, I don't see why it couldn't be used to build muscle also.
                                "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X