Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy Lifting and calories/macros

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    For 100g protein (400cals) you should easily get 100g fat (900 cals) without even considering exogenous fat sources. Just choose the good fatty cuts of meat. So with 100g (400cals) of suga that brings youto 1700. Meh, another five hundred is easy to find. Handful of nuts or two would be great. Get you some good minerals.

    BTW you don't "have" to crank up your calories to gain some muscle if your a bit untrained. Just add the training in and eat till satiated. Your body will let you know when it needs more energy input to build.... trust me.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ErinF View Post
      I'm embarrassed to say as I've just barely started. I'm doing 50 lbs deadlifts, body weight pull-ups and negatives, body weight squats because my form needs improving and 50 lbs push press. I do think I need to increase my weight because while I'm a little tired after a workout I could probably still do another 5x5 a few hours later. I'm still pretty new at barbell training...
      Agree with Neckhammer (as usual) that these levels of lifting don't require a huge calorie surplus to support. But you'll get there. Add weight to the bar every workout. When you need the extra food, you'll get a memo from your tummy.

      Don't be embarrassed for a second. You're at an enviable point in your progress (the novice phase) where you will see rapid gains in strength. And you're way ahead of where you'd be if you weren't lifting.
      The Champagne of Beards

      Comment


      • #18
        I feel in the same boat. Started lifting more thru CrossFit, a lot of heavy lifting, less cardio and it is hard to figure out what to eat. I have had success really focusing on protein and then letting my body decide on fat or carbs to round out the plate. It's also hard to figure out calorie consumption as I have no idea what the worksouts burn. The other day we did 1 rep maxes on 3 lifts.... I'm sure that means not a lot burned, but then weds we did 20 minutes of burpees and kettlebell swings... Add in that in hot weather my appetite gets wonky.

        So my strategy right now is to eat at 1600-1800 which is about maintenance for me if sedentary and seems to be the right mix of satiety and energy and kind of listen to me body about needing fat or protein heavy meals. I have trouble eating enough protein at times (I aim for 120 grams a day), so have whey protein smoothies more often than I would like.

        By the way *awesome* that you are doing pull ups!!!! It's funny- everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I love doing squats and deadlifts but can't do a pull up yet.

        http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
          I feel in the same boat. Started lifting more thru CrossFit, a lot of heavy lifting, less cardio and it is hard to figure out what to eat. I have had success really focusing on protein and then letting my body decide on fat or carbs to round out the plate. It's also hard to figure out calorie consumption as I have no idea what the worksouts burn. The other day we did 1 rep maxes on 3 lifts.... I'm sure that means not a lot burned, but then weds we did 20 minutes of burpees and kettlebell swings... Add in that in hot weather my appetite gets wonky.

          So my strategy right now is to eat at 1600-1800 which is about maintenance for me if sedentary and seems to be the right mix of satiety and energy and kind of listen to me body about needing fat or protein heavy meals. I have trouble eating enough protein at times (I aim for 120 grams a day), so have whey protein smoothies more often than I would like.

          By the way *awesome* that you are doing pull ups!!!! It's funny- everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I love doing squats and deadlifts but can't do a pull up yet.
          What the workouts burn is negligible compared to what's burned in the roughly 24-hour period after the workout ends. And you'll never come up with a reasonably reliable figure by modern methods. Muscle Protein Synthesis, just to name one factor, is very energy-intensive.
          The Champagne of Beards

          Comment


          • #20
            Competitive bodybuilders bulk to put on as much muscle as possible in as short a time as possible. Noncompetitive bodybuilders do this because they follow the dogma of broscience. Since you are not in a race to put on muscle you can cycle your calories so you don't gain fat while putting on lean weight. This will also work if you want to lose more fat as well. Eat more calories on lift and sprint days, including higher carbs if you want. On "rest" days eat less.

            So if you want to gain lean mass without increasing body fat eat maintenance cal on rest days and then more on workout days. How much more is individual depending on how easily you put on fat. If you want to lean out and at least maintain lean mass the eat at maintenance on work out days and less on rest days. You could even IF every now and again.

            This way you won't be chronically over or under fed.



            Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
            Don't be a paleotard...

            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

            Comment


            • #21
              What the workouts burn is negligible compared to what's burned in the roughly 24-hour period after the workout ends.
              I was doing HIIT workouts prior to CF. Would a 25 minute interval (things like row sprints, box jumps, KB swings) have a similar effect to a heavy workout of squats, deadlifts and lunges with no cardio?

              http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                I was doing HIIT workouts prior to CF. Would a 25 minute interval (things like row sprints, box jumps, KB swings) have a similar effect to a heavy workout of squats, deadlifts and lunges with no cardio?
                Do you mean a similar effect calorically? I don't know. Both would certainly result in increased metabolic rate for long after the workout, but to compare the two is definitely beyond me, and with the current state of exercise science, I'd guess beyond anyone to make more than an educated guess.

                CNS-wise, I'd posit that the effects are different, but both desireable.

                Programming-wise, I prefer measurable, progressive loading over random, every-day all-out metcon style efforts for the reasons elucidated here
                The Champagne of Beards

                Comment


                • #23
                  I read a study a while back where the researchers decided that the afterburn effect does not apply for women. The calories burned were burned during the workout, not afterwards.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Wow thanks for all of the responses. This is such a tremendous help to me!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                      I read a study a while back where the researchers decided that the afterburn effect does not apply for women. The calories burned were burned during the workout, not afterwards.
                      I call B.S. Not on you, but I'll bet the study design left much to be desired, as do most studies in this realm. Do you have a link by any chance?
                      The Champagne of Beards

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I read a study a while back where the researchers decided that the afterburn effect does not apply for women. The calories burned were burned during the workout, not afterwards.
                        Hmmm... if that's the case, then I guess women should not increase calories like men do. Another sucky side to having a *^&^&*^ uterus.

                        Seriously, running a marathon made me fatter, and what, now going and riding my horse for an hour has the same, if not more, fat burning properties as doing a hard CF session.

                        http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          I call B.S. Not on you, but I'll bet the study design left much to be desired, as do most studies in this realm. Do you have a link by any chance?
                          Sorry. Perhaps it had to to with the fact that the women in the study hadn't added lots of muscle (as guys can do). The women in the study were older, which might have been a factor. At the time I was looking for information to help me set a body fat target goal, something I found zero information on.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            Sorry. Perhaps it had to to with the fact that the women in the study hadn't added lots of muscle (as guys can do). The women in the study were older, which might have been a factor. At the time I was looking for information to help me set a body fat target goal, something I found zero information on.
                            But we don't know what protocol were they following. All "resistance training" is not created equal, and most of the protocols used in these types of studies are, to be frank, B.S.
                            The Champagne of Beards

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Erin, what works for me is to eat meat, vegetables and/or sweet potatoes at each meal. No calorie or gram counting.

                              - The meat is about the size of the palm of my hand minus the fingers.
                              - The vegetables are unlimited but I don't always have vegetables.
                              - The sweet potato is either a small one or a large one depending on how hungry I am.
                              - Fat is used for cooking but not otherwise added.
                              - I might add mango salsa or something for seasoning.

                              I eat this way almost every meal. This allows me to make progress on my lifts.

                              - I've gone from bench pressing 30lbs to 75.
                              - I've gone from squatting the empty bar to 125lbs was the most but I've dropped it back down and am working up again.
                              - I've gone from pressing 25lbs to 55.
                              - I've gone from deadlifting the empty bar to 165 was the most but I've dropped it back down and am working my way up.

                              I've also started doing snatches and clean and jerks but I suck royally at them and can't say I've actually done one yet. The best thing is I feel a spring in my step, I feel like I eat tons, my weight is stable and I look better than I did before.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                                But we don't know what protocol were they following. All "resistance training" is not created equal, and most of the protocols used in these types of studies are, to be frank, B.S.
                                Any examples on such a B.S. strength protocol Rich? Could have been funny to see whether it's possible to make gains even on a completley retarded protocol...
                                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                                - Schopenhauer

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X