Water/Liquid with the food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water/Liquid with the food?

I have read that if you drink water/other liquids when eating or close to when you eat it will make the digestion of the food worse, anyone have any facts and/or thoughts about that?

Any liquids after a meal will dilute the HCL... so it would be wise not to drink anything for at-least 30 minutes after a meal, preferably an hour.
    sigpic
    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Originally posted by EGYnutrition View Post
      Any liquids after a meal will dilute the HCL... so it would be wise not to drink anything for at-least 30 minutes after a meal, preferably an hour.
      +1 HCL = hydrochloric acid, btw.

Comment

Does the same apply for before the meal?

Comment

Ehh I like to think HCL doesn't get released until you consume protein, so it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But then again, digestion starts when you smell/see the food... it's your choice on how strict you would like to be.
          sigpic
          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

I'd also like to add that I definitely do not subscribe to this advice. But I don't have issues with digestion, either. People with acid reflux and other digestive issues do well with limiting liquids with meals.

If you're asking if drinking liquids with your meal is going to hamper fat loss, I don't think so. But I'd be willing to defer to someone who knows for sure!

Comment

I can't think of eating without a glass of water. I absolutely feel I MUST "wash" my food down with a drink. I have no digestion issues or anything like that.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I'm the same way. I've been drinking with my meals all my life and it seems very unnatural for me not to have something to drink when I eat. The only difference is that now what I'm drinking is usually one glass of water where as in the past that would have been a couple glasses of milk with every meal. I gave that up a year or so before going primal much to the chagrin of the dairy industry. They've had to lay off my personal cow now, Bossy. Poor cow.
                http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                  They've had to lay off my personal cow now, Bossy. Poor cow.
                  I hope they laid her off right onto your dinner plate

Comment

All my life, I've ended a meal with a cup of coffee or hot tea. I find that it actually helps digestion, and I don't see any reason to change this practice.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      I can't think of eating without a glass of water. I absolutely feel I MUST "wash" my food down with a drink. I have no digestion issues or anything like that.
                      I'm the same. I need something to drink every couple of bites.
                      The more I see the less I know for sure.
                      -John Lennon

Comment

haha Emmie no need to change it if it works for you... but for people with digestive issues it is an issue and for those concerned it is an issue
                        sigpic

Comment

Traditional Chinese meals don't have liquids with the meal (besides soups when served), but tea or hard liquor is served afterwards.

At least that is what I read.
                          Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

Comment

Working...
                          X