Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm in Ketosis! Any long-time primals on here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm in Ketosis! Any long-time primals on here?

    I started eating 80% primal 2 days ago..basically eating eggs/cheese for breakfast, huge salads with protein for lunch, and handfuls of nuts to satiate any snacky feelings. I've had little carby items here or there but really I've done well my first couple days.

    When I started the plan I had no expectations of getting into ketosis. Tonight I came across an old container of Ketostix I had in my medicine cabinet. Just for the heck of it I tested one out. Sure enough, I am in the dark purple shade of ketosis tonight lol. I knew my breath was horrible today for a reason!

    There is a part of me that is very shocked by the findings tonight. Many years ago, I was on an Atkins-style plan (except I ate tons of veggies). I lost a ton of weight and remember feeling the happiest and healthiest in my entire life. However after a year on the plan, I found it harder and harder for my body to flip over into that ketogenic state after eating any kind of carb at all. Eventually my body would not flip over into ketosis at all and I started gaining my weight back. It was almost as if my body became ketosis resistant after a year of being religiously low-carb.

    Has anyone else experienced this? Have any of you been eating low carb successfully for more than a year?

    I am excited about being back on this way of eating, however I am very fearful that the same thing is going to happen again. I will lose my weight and then become ketosis resistant.
    Last edited by jicamamama; 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM.

  • #2
    Ketosis resistant? I've never heard of that... Do you have any medical issues or something? Are you using the strips to determine you're out of ketosis, or are you just assuming so because you're not consistently losing weight anymore?
    On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

    Comment


    • #3
      As I understand it, those ketosis strips go bad within about a month of being opened. Were they leftover from your Atkins days?
      Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
      ~Borges

      Comment


      • #4
        I have no clue if I'm in ketosis or not, but I know I've been VLC for at least a good month and a half now so theoretically I should be. I'll probably get a ketosis strip to see.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes after a while your body adapts, it is a survival technique. For instance if there were no carbs for over a year, your body would have to become more and more and more efficient in using ketones as fuel. This would also make it so it takes less and less carbs to get into ketosis. I guess that's another benefit of the re-feed if you consider it a re-feed.

          It's not ketone-resistance, the only people who could even achieve that are type 1 diabetics, and they should NEVER do ketosis diets.
          sigpic
          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

          Comment


          • #6
            @EGY:
            Why shouldn't type 1 diabetics do ketosis diets? I'm fairly certain that Bernstein is a strong advocate of a VLC diet for type 1 diabetics, or are his recommendations outside the range of ketogenesis.

            I am aware that ketoacidosis is a dangerous complication of type 1 diabetes, but that is caused by hyperglycemia, and is in no way connected with ketosis.
            Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

            My fresh start in London

            Comment


            • #7
              I love Ketosis breath!!! Not so much the smell.. but the fact that it is there, reasures me that I am on the PB!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Ketosis doesn't work that way. Your body can't just decide to *not* use ketones in the absence of glucose. You're ketone adapted. Not ketone resistant.

                And if you're using the strips: when you first go into ketosis, your body wastes a lot of the excess and those get expelled in your urine and breath. As your body adapts to burning ketones - it becomes more efficient and there is less waste. So your ketostix become pretty useless - even though you're still in ketosis.

                And think of losing weight in terms of percentages rather than pounds. And better yet, look at body fat percentage.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by EGYnutrition View Post
                  Yes after a while your body adapts, it is a survival technique. For instance if there were no carbs for over a year, your body would have to become more and more and more efficient in using ketones as fuel. This would also make it so it takes less and less carbs to get into ketosis. I guess that's another benefit of the re-feed if you consider it a re-feed.

                  It's not ketone-resistance, the only people who could even achieve that are type 1 diabetics, and they should NEVER do ketosis diets.
                  Huh?

                  My hubby is type 1 and has been the healthiest he's ever been on a VLC diet. He hasn't had to take insulin in forever. His endocrinologist is baffled. We both giggle while she sends him for more testing and he teases her by saying he's cured himself of diabetes. (disclaimer: we both know there is no cure for diabetes, but it sure riles up the Dr!!! lol)
                  The more I see the less I know for sure.
                  -John Lennon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I won't talk about cures for diabetes.

                    But as far as I know, type 1 diabetics lack the ability of feedback loops and thus risk ketoacidosis... That's my understanding as once ketones get above 4-6mmol it is dangerous, which is why ketones also have the ability to increase insulin if necessary and slow FFA release, but since type 1 diabetics cant produce insulin, this is a problem.

                    Maybe im wrong but that's just what I've studied/read from lyle's material.
                    sigpic
                    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by primal_jessjane View Post
                      Ketosis resistant? I've never heard of that... Do you have any medical issues or something? Are you using the strips to determine you're out of ketosis, or are you just assuming so because you're not consistently losing weight anymore?
                      I do have some general medical issues: insulin resistance, pcos, and asthma. I am not diabetic although it does run in my family..both type 1 and 2. I also suspect the beginning of a thyroid issue.

                      When I was talking about this feeling of being "ketosis resistent" I was referring to a low carb lifestyle I followed many years ago. I did great on it for a year, however my body stopped flipping over into ketosis and I started gaining weight like crazy. I was eating a clean low carb diet too, with no artificial sweeteners/sugarfree candies/frankenfoods.

                      I love eating low-carb, my body seems to just refuse to process fat as fuel by the end of it. I guess I am just fearful this is going to happen again. I was curious if there were any people on the board who had been following a ketogenic diet for more than a year with continued success and a long-term ability to be in ketosis.
                      Last edited by jicamamama; 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by say_rahhh View Post
                        As I understand it, those ketosis strips go bad within about a month of being opened. Were they leftover from your Atkins days?
                        Not necessarily. These were about a year old and unopened. I am having other signs of ketosis besides the purple stick. The delightful fruity breath,frequent trips to the bathroom, the leg cramps etc. I got myself a good potassium supplement today to help with the leg cramps.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by coach81 View Post
                          I love Ketosis breath!!! Not so much the smell.. but the fact that it is there, reasures me that I am on the PB!!!
                          LOL!!! It makes me feel like a fire-breathing dragon.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Type 1 Diabetics CAN go into a low-carbohydrate diet and safely, and research says it is actually beneficial. People coin the term, keto-acidosis, to argue that a VLC diet is harmful for insulin dependent diabetics. This is true, if a diabetic stops taking his/her long acting insulin, i.e. Lantus, Levemir. As long as there is insulin within the body, keto-acidosis, is highly unlikely; physiologically, almost impossible. It should be called lipolysis when referring to a ketogenic diet, as keto-acidosis is deadly. Lipolysis isn't. VLC diets aid type 1 diabetics due to the lack of reliance on short-acting insulin that often causes diabetics to go into a hypoglycemic state. A lot of diabetics have trouble losing weight due to the high amounts of carbohydrates that they are told to eat in correlation with their short acting insulin requirements; insulin causes weight gain, so the more carbohydrates, the more insulin, the more fat accumulation. The VLC diet is great for diabetics, because it lowers insulin requirements, helps lose the weight that is so hard to lose for diabetics typically, reduces cost, and lowers the likelihood of hypoglycemic incidents. Just check your sugars regularly, and keep some sugar on you as usual. Good luck.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jicamamama View Post
                              I do have some general medical issues: insulin resistance, pcos, and asthma. I am not diabetic although it does run in my family..both type 1 and 2. I also suspect the beginning of a thyroid issue.

                              When I was talking about this feeling of being "ketosis resistent" I was referring to a low carb lifestyle I followed many years ago. I did great on it for a year, however my body stopped flipping over into ketosis and I started gaining weight like crazy. I was eating a clean low carb diet too, with no artificial sweeteners/sugarfree candies/frankenfoods.

                              I love eating low-carb, my body seems to just refuse to process fat as fuel by the end of it. I guess I am just fearful this is going to happen again. I was curious if there were any people on the board who had been following a ketogenic diet for more than a year with continued success and a long-term ability to be in ketosis.
                              I have, and I am.
                              But I'm keto-adapted, and if I dipped a strip now, it would be at most a very pale purple. But I feel great

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X