Easy on the stomach?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy on the stomach?

In relation to my 'illness' post, I've found my stomach is still not feeling all that happy with me. I don't want meat, other than chicken, I don't want leafy greens, I certainly don't want any oil or coco oil...

my stomach is SO UPSET!

What do you eat when you're trying to 'go easy' on your stomach?

-写
    Little Saiyan

I usually try to flush my body out with lots of water and soothing teas.

Comment

Have you been eating lots of fruit and veg? onion? garlic? one very common cause of upset stomach is fructose malabsorbtion. I have it and was soo glad when I got diagnosed that I could finally figure out what causes my irritable bowel symptoms and I can completely avoid them when I avoid food high in fructose/fructins/FODMAPS.

Have a look at these resources and see if they match your symptoms.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption
      http://www.foodintol.com/sugar.asp

And just to prove this isn't some fad, theoretical concept, here's a good research paper on the topic too.
      http://sacfs.asn.au/download/SueShepherd_sarticle.pdf

Maybe you could try and give your body a break from foods high in fructose/fructans and see if it makes a difference for you.

Good luck,

Bern

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and link, guys. Jicamamama-- cute name!
        And I'm not sure... I had HALF a SMALL apple today. I mean, come on. I love my fruit... this would be absurd! And as for the waters and tea, yes-- i can't get enough (i can barely stay hydrated) but after this aftershock day of being sick (while i didn't really eat on my initial sick day, two days ago), I really really need some kind of solids, and nutrients!
        Little Saiyan

Comment

Mashed potatoes with chicken stock. I know potatoes aren't incredibly primal friendly, but they go down and stay down pretty easy. I always have thick gelatanized chicken stock around (i make my own) so I mix that in with the potatoes. If I'm feeling up to it I add some shredded chicken.

Comment

Soups and stews

Comment

looks like the only potatoes I have left have... sprouted. :P
              I was feeling like a sweet potato would feel good on my stomach. These are some kind of white potatoes. Er, leafy green potatoes now...
              Little Saiyan

Comment

make some thick butternut squash soup (or get someone to go out and get you ingredients)
                soups are about the only thing i can handle when im sick, and make sure to drink some electrolytes. i like using the "emergen-c" ones, because they have no added sugar and u can add the powder to water.
                "The first wealth is health."
                - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

use your crok pot to make a long slow cooked stew. Use tenderloin tips and cook overnight for 12+ hours. Any veg you add will be so cooked down it will be easy to digest, carrot, kale, onion. And use soothing herbs for the tummy; rosemary and thyme (as I have posted a bunch are my favorite).

The broth alone could be drank to at least get you some fats and nutrients. I make broth from a chicken roast carcass that has been boiled down and use that with perhaps some water. It will be smooth and rich that 10 oz. of just broth would feel nice.

Feel better, and good luck!

Comment

If your stomach/digestive system is upset, the best thing you can do is let it rest. If you've ever watched animals who are distressed, they refuse to eat. Sometimes for many days. Water and herbal teas are soothing. Drink Kombucha to re-populate the helpful bacteria. Allow your intestinal tract to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharonll View Post
                      If your stomach/digestive system is upset, the best thing you can do is let it rest. If you've ever watched animals who are distressed, they refuse to eat. Sometimes for many days. Water and herbal teas are soothing. Drink Kombucha to re-populate the helpful bacteria. Allow your intestinal tract to rest.
                      +1 Have some chicken broth, too.

Comment

Heh, I've gotten a lot worse but I'm sipping on my homebrew Kombucha and just bought a ginger one and some organic low sodium chicken broth... thanks guys! Tomorrow I'll put kale and rosemary in the crock pot with it. great idea.

-写
                        Little Saiyan

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika View Post
                          Heh, I've gotten a lot worse but I'm sipping on my homebrew Kombucha and just bought a ginger one and some organic low sodium chicken broth... thanks guys! Tomorrow I'll put kale and rosemary in the crock pot with it. great idea.

-写
                          Sounds smart! I hope you feel better very quickly.

Comment

Maybe try scrambled eggs with butter? Good luck hon, I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

I'm in the same fix, oddly enough.

Twice in the last month I passed liquid instead of bowel movements, the second time very stubbornly.

Drove me nuts, and also enforced days off. I ate almost nothing for awhile each time, then the first time
                              I had coconut oil and some blueberries and tea, gradually got over it. Went back to Primal fat and meat
                              and coconut oil and lots of ghee. Since I had had more cod liver oil than usual right beforehand, I
                              stopped taking it.

I was just starting a fish oil capsule once a day for a few days, and --- there I was again, but this
                              time worse. I did without food for quite awhile again, but this time I tried old remedies which usually
                              used to work for me: white rice cooked with lots of water, a dash of soy sauce and butter, then a
                              few green beans.

Didn't help. I was worried about trying to leave the house for long enough to get to a store,
                              and the only probiotic I had on hand was kombucha. I let myself get good and hungry again,
                              then I found a can of frozen concentrated apple juice, and an unopened tin of sesame
                              tahini, so I took my old kuzu starch, and made up a pudding which always used to work.

Made it worse, much worse, like taking an osmotic laxative.

Sipped just a little kombucha, tried to sleep, though I had to get up several
                              times.

Threw out my ideas of what used to work, by this time I was pretty empty. Didn't
                              even drink any water for fear of setting it off again, got to the health food store
                              yesterday morning.

Bought probiotics (capsules and Good Belly.) Bought FAGE yoghurt, 2% because
                              they didn't have full fat. Bought 1% milk and whipping cream to make yoghurt (will
                              do that this morning) to culture for 24 hours in the oven. Bought aged Kerrygold
                              (grassfed) cheddar. Bought a jar of peanut butter and some local honey -- used to
                              eat this last year, maybe my system still remembers that it works for me -- bought
                              a jar of applesauce (all gone now) and some Pink Lady apples from Washington.
                              Bought frozen blueberries.

Got home in pretty good order, had four doses of the good belly and the applesauce,
                              a little at a time. And some of the FAGE. At least the urgent trips to the bathroom
                              stopped, though I still felt pretty fragile.

I had put some oxtail in the crock pot, not to waste it. Yesterday evening I tried a
                              little, with the fat, and got through some but then got a little nauseous, so I
                              stopped. I think I'll have to throw the rest out, even though the gel is good for
                              one's gut.

I've been thinking of what went wrong, but I can't quite figure it out. I'd been
                              very heavy on the fat, and on good quality meat. I haven't been very careful
                              about balanced timely meals. I snacked on butter, ghee, and coconut oil, maybe
                              to excess. Liver seemed to make things worse. And my kitchen is in a chronic
                              state of disorder.

Present plan: scrub everything out, especially the fridge, and make lots of
                              the Greek style yoghurt (full cream.)

Take probiotics and eat yoghurt every day till I feel totally better

Steer clear of fatty meats for the present, and for nearly raw meats (even
                              the good local ones) probably for a long, long time <sorrow>

Leave liver alone for a long time, and start again very slowly with
                              very small portions if feeling good.

Try not to eat butter straight from the stick. <blush>

Eat small portions, only when really HUNGRY.

Graze kale and parsley and arugula from the garden, but only
                              very small amounts.

-------------------

Am I missing something very obvious?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X