Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most nutritious fruit? (don't say berries, don't say berries)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most nutritious fruit? (don't say berries, don't say berries)

Berries are obviously heavily touted in the Paleosphere (and slammed in other places for having unavoidable seeds), but other than those, what are the best fruits to eat?

I predominantly eat bananas cos they're so cheap and filling, but not sure where they rank on the nutrition scale. Pineapple, mango, oranges are also a regular feature in my life.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

berries

Comment

I would say that the fruit that is in season in your area is the best fruit to eat at anytime. In summer, I eat peaches, blueberries, summer apples, melons, etc.

Comment

I think bananas are pretty good actually. Very good for potassium obviously, but I think they also have some good fats in them iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
          Berries are obviously heavily touted in the Paleosphere (and slammed in other places for having unavoidable seeds), but other than those, what are the best fruits to eat?
          Best for what? general health? most tasty? refilling liver glycogen? refilling muscular glycogen? brainfood for examens? etc, etc...
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

They're all great! Seriously, unless you're eating 40 pieces a day, eat what you like

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
              refilling liver glycogen? refilling muscular glycogen? brainfood for examens? etc, etc...
              Those are all good! which fruits do the above?
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

blueberries, strawberries, huckleberries, cranberries, berries, berries, berries! LOL I just had to

Seriously, I love just about all fruits. I have no idea which are the best, but we eat apricots, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, dates, figs, grapefruit, grapes, mandarins, mango, melons, oranges, papayas, raisins, and strawberries. I've been aiming for small quantities of a large variety of fruits. Some are fresh, others dried or frozen.

Here's some Nutritional Information about Fruit that you might find helpful if you want to do comparisons.

Comment

Dates, Oranges, bananas, cherries, grapes, and pomegranate juice.
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I eat them all too!! I try to eat mostly in season fruits though. I do know that fruits like bananas, pineapple, and oranges will raise your glucose levels higher then some of the other fruits, but I still eat and love them! I just keep in mind that if I have an orange, it would be good to pair it with an omelet of something if I can, and not eat 3 in a sitting. Bananas (although they do raise your blood sugar more than some of the other fruits) have lots of great things in them.

Comment

|
                      Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                      Those are all good! which fruits do the above?
                      Maybe a very ripe banana if I should choose one fruit only...
                      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Do you know how many different types of berries there are? The best is the wild brambles (blackberries) that we gather in the hedgerows in the autumn, though the wild raspberries by the roadsides in late summer are pretty good too!

Comment

cherries, nectarines and peaches,
                          and berries
                          pineapple, bananas and oranges all spike my blood sugar too much
                          When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                          27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                          new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

I'm having a déjà vu moment here. I do pick wild blackberries in summer. If I can find wild black raspberries, they are the best!

Comment

I think if you just go for variety w.r.t. color you'll get everything you need.

Your preferences are heavy on the yellow. Those are my favorites too but maybe switch it up with some kiwi, watermelon, plum, grapes, apples, (berries...), etc. Or not!

Comment

Working...
                              X