Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most nutritious fruit? (don't say berries, don't say berries)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
    Berries are obviously heavily touted in the Paleosphere (and slammed in other places for having unavoidable seeds), but other than those, what are the best fruits to eat?

I predominantly eat bananas cos they're so cheap and filling, but not sure where they rank on the nutrition scale. Pineapple, mango, oranges are also a regular feature in my life.
    The best fruits to eat are whatever fruits you like. They're almost universally great. They're pretty much the only thing in nature that literally wants you to eat it. Take it from a true paleo perspective - have you ever had meat and vegetables without seasonings? Not even salt and pepper? They are very bland. The only true pleasure food in nature is fruit. Enjoy.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Best fruit:

Backyard organic > Farmer market in season > Organic supermarket in season > Organic anything.......

You get were I'm going with this right?

Shortest distance traveled with least time between picking and eating.

Oh.... and berries are best!

Comment

Wouldn't the best fruit be to eat a variety so that you get the variety of nutrients each has to offer.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
          Wouldn't the best fruit be to eat a variety so that you get the variety of nutrients each has to offer.
          I kind of follow this too... Is an idea I got from Paul Jaminet and "the perfect health diet". In addition to the variety of nutrients, you also are not exposed to the same toxins all the time should there be any. Seems to make sense to me.

Comment

CHERRIES! I forgot about those tasty critters. Kiwis are also good.

Those of you who suggested variety are right... I'm a bit stuck in my ways.

Originally posted by sjmc View Post

Your preferences are heavy on the yellow.
            Didn't realise that! Wonder what nutrient is dominant in yellow fruits?

Those of you who said berries: you're on my enemy list...
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I've been on a red grapefruit bender lately.

Comment

orange, kiwi, guava, watermelon, cherries, apricots, papaya, and mango

bananas and apples usually fall pretty short. I avoid berries 'cause of the seeds and low sugar content, and grapefruit flavonoids are estrogenic so I stay away from them(plus they're gross imo). bananas are said to elevate serotonin, but I don't see how it could possibly make any sort of substantial difference at all, so I eat a lot of bananas because they're so cheap and tasty, but cause of their cultivation they could be allergenic and cause bloating for some along with the serotonin irritating the gut.

also, unripe fruits are to be avoided at all costs.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

I love all fruit but try to support local organic farmers and stick to what is in season. Here in the Sonoma county we are blessed with an amazing variety of locally grown organic fruits and vegetables. Gravenstein Apples in the fall are amazing. Oranges, lemons and limes are pretty much available througout the year. Berries in the spring and summer along with a variety of cherries, melons, peaches, pears, plums and of course, since this is wine country, lots of grapes. I think eating a wide variety is the most enjoyable and nutritious approach.
                  Last edited by canuck416; 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM.
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

YogaBare, I eat bananas every day too. Sometimes 3 or 4. Pineapple and cherries are good too.

Comment

...borrowed from here -- interesting that bananas are considered a 'white' fruit...hebs

Red Fruits and Vegetables

Contain nutrients such as lycopene, ellagic acid, Quercetin, and Hesperidin, to name a few. These nutrients reduce the risk of prostate cancer, lower blood pressure, reduce tumor growth and LDL cholesterol levels, scavenge harmful free-radicals, and support join tissue in arthritis cases.

Orange and Yellow fruits and vegetables

Contain beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, flavonoids, lycopene, potassium, and vitamin C. These nutrients reduce age-related macula degeneration and the risk of prostate cancer, lower LDL cholesterol and blood pressure, promote collagen formation and healthy joints, fight harmful free radicals, encourage alkaline balance, and work with magnesium and calcium to build healthy bones.

Green vegetables and Fruit

Green vegetables contain chlorophyll, fiber, lutein, zeaxanthin, calcium, folate, vitamin C, calcium, and Beta-carotene. The nutrients found in these vegetables reduce cancer risks, lower blood pressure and LDL cholesterol levels, normalize digestion time, support retinal health and vision, fight harmful free-radicals, and boost immune system activity.

Blue and purple fruits and vegetables

Contain nutrients which include lutein, zeaxanthin, resveratrol, vitamin C, fiber, flavonoids, ellagic acid, and quercetin. Similar to the previous nutrients, these nutrients support retinal health, lower LDL cholesterol, boost immune system activity, support healthy digestion, improve calcium and other mineral absorption, fight inflammation, reduce tumor growth, act as an anticarcinogens in the digestive tract, and limit the activity of cancer cells.

White fruits and vegetables

Contain nutrients such as beta-glucans, EGCG, SDG, and lignans that provide powerful immune boosting activity. These nutrients also activate natural killer B and T cells, reduce the risk of colon, breast, and prostate cancers, and balance hormone levels, reducing the risk of hormone-related cancers.

Chart of Colored Vegetables and Fruit

Green

Artichokes
                      Arugula
                      Asparagus
                      Avocados
                      Broccoflower
                      Broccoli
                      Broccoli rabe
                      Brussel sprouts
                      Celery
                      Chayote squash
                      Chinese cabbage
                      Cucumbers
                      Endive
                      Green apples
                      Green beans
                      Green cabbage
                      Green grapes
                      Green onion
                      Green pears
                      Green peppers
                      Honeydew
                      Kiwifruit
                      Leafy greens
                      Leeks
                      Lettuce
                      Limes
                      Okra
                      Peas
                      Sno Peas
                      Spinach
                      Sugar snap peas
                      Watercress
                      Zucchini

White

Bananas
                      Brown pears
                      Cauliflower
                      Dates
                      Garlic
                      Ginger
                      Jerusalem artickoke
                      Jicama
                      Kohlrabi
                      Mushrooms
                      Onions
                      Parsnips
                      Potatoes
                      Shallots
                      Turnips
                      White Corn
                      White nectarines
                      White peaches

Red

Beets
                      Blood oranges
                      Cherries
                      Cranberries
                      Guava
                      Papaya
                      Pink grapefruit
                      Pink/Red grapefruit
                      Pomegranates
                      Radicchio
                      Radishes
                      Raspberries
                      Red apples
                      Red bell peppers
                      Red chili peppers
                      Red grapes
                      Red onions
                      Red pears
                      Red peppers
                      Red potatoes
                      Rhubarb
                      Strawberries
                      Tomatoes
                      Watermelon

Yellow/Orange

Apricots
                      Butternut squash
                      Cantaloupe
                      Cape Gooseberries
                      Carrots
                      Golden kiwifruit
                      Grapefruit
                      Lemon
                      Mangoes
                      Nectarines
                      Oranges
                      Papayas
                      Peaches
                      Persimmons
                      Pineapples
                      Pumpkin
                      Rutabagas
                      Sweet corn
                      Sweet potatoes
                      Tangerines
                      Yellow apples
                      Yellow beets
                      Yellow figs
                      Yellow pears
                      Yellow peppers
                      Yellow potatoes
                      Yellow summer squash
                      Yellow tomatoes
                      Yellow watermelon
                      Yellow winter squash

Blue/Purple

Black currants
                      Black salsify
                      Blackberries
                      Blueberries
                      Dried plums
                      Eggplant
                      Elderberries
                      Grapes
                      Plums
                      Pomegranates
                      Prunes
                      Purple Belgian endive
                      Purple Potatoes
                      Purple asparagus
                      Purple cabbage
                      Purple carrots
                      Purple figs
                      Purple grapes
                      Purple peppers
                      Raisins

Comment

Pears, Apples, Kiwis.

Comment

Agave. Fermented.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Matt Lalonde did a good talk on nutrient density here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwbY12qZcF4

The fruit figures are at around 22:00 minutes. I (and he) were surprised at just how relatively un-nutritious fruit was, particularly the apples and berries. Still good to eat, but aiming for more nutrient dense foods is probably a good way to go.

Comment

Whatever is local, and in season. It will always beat anything imported and stored.

And, target your particular nutritional needs. I.e. if you need starch, have a banana, if you need vit C, go for lemons and grapefruits etc.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

One needs to define "most nutritious" first. (Personally I think eating for nutrition misses the point completely but that is an argument for another time.) Elaeagnus pungens' fruit have the highest amount of lycopene even more than the arils of the Momordica charantia which is some 96% lycopene. The Morrenia odorata has so much vitamin C that it dwarfs citrus. That is a reductionist view (which I don't hold to) but to answer what is the most nutritious requires a definition. What do you think "most nutritious" means?

Comment

Working...
                                X