No announcement yet.

Thinking about going primal....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julie, do it. You will feel so amazing. Instead of pasta carb loads have sushi. And drink up when you go out on Friday nights. I did this diet for a year and a half drinking 3 glasses of wine almost every day. Drank half a bottle (probably more than half) for my birthday this year.

Also, do the WHOLE program. The food as well as the sleep, the sun and the fitness program. Drop the chronic cardio, the chronic calorie restriction, the fear of animal fats and everything. It's a fountain of youth, this stuff. I've got a spring in my step I haven't felt in like ever. Good luck.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I think it won't be that hard of a transition. Sometimes it may seem like the members of this site are "all or nothing" but I don't believe that to be the case.

As far as the pasta goes, I have been eating this way for a few years now and now I really can't eat it. I think you will naturally transition off of it. I eat sweet potatoes almost every day and I had about 4 within a 24 hour period before my last half marathon.

Also, I drink wine pretty much every day, and have beer with friends once a week. I definitely obey the 80/20 rule and it hasn't affected my appearance or my energy and I am very active.

Comment

I think of "doing paleo" as striving toward an ideal. It's not a binary label like "vegan", for example. Probably everyone fails with respect to some tenet, at some point. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

And if all that's holding you back is your pre-race meal, which as many have noted is easily replaceable, and a few drinks a week, which in itself is not even a problem, then it looks like you're off to a good start!

Comment

Originally posted by JulieRUNS View Post
          So I've always thought because of these two habits, Primal diet is not for me. Is this true or would it work for me to do Primal all other times and just have these cheat times?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinion on this!
          1. There are other carb sources than pasta and bread. Oh, and Primal does not mean low carb. Eat as many primal carbs as you want.

2. There's more to Primal than food. PLAY is a component. Live a little! Some alcohol is more primal (wine, cider) than others (beer, spirits)

3. This isn't a diet. No diet, no cheat.

Most people here will admit to eating 'off plan' sometimes. (I ate pasta and pudding last night, have a carb hangover this morning, back on plan at the next meal) Unless you have food allergies/sensitivities, eat whatever makes you feel good, or is the best choice from whats available at that opportunity.

STRIVE for 100% compliance, ACCEPT that 20% will be out of your control, or temporarily inconvenient. You don't have to do primal perfectly to enjoy the benefits. I am dedicated, but hardly disciplined.
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by TerpsPwn_387 View Post

As far as the pasta goes, I have been eating this way for a few years now and now I really can't eat it. I think you will naturally transition off of it.
            I agree about the pasta. It no longer appeals to me. Neither does pizza. GASP! My previous favorite food in the world. I never thought I would say those words.
            Sandra
            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Thank you all so so much for your wisdom and encouragement!

I guess I was worried that if I don't go "all or nothing" my body would not use the fat for fuel. Did I read that you have to transition into that mode? I wouldn't want to be screwing all my work up every Friday night and have to keep starting the process over.

So happy to hear it's the fountain of youth! Those words are music to my ears as I turn the big 40 this year.
              Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Thanks much again,
              Julie

Comment

I run races too (though not once a month). I carb load with rice, potatoes, enjera (made with teff flour), and sometimes ice cream (yes, ice cream). I also drink like 1-3 times a week, depending on the week (and that's 1-3 nights of drinking, not 1-3 drinks). But I try to stay away from sugary cocktails (I do have them occasionally) and try to drink wine or cocktails with club soda and lime/lemon juice. But there's no rule that says you can never drink sugary cocktails.

Edited to add: Yes, you do have to transition into burning fat for fuel, in the sense that it takes some time to adapt to a low-carb diet, if that is what you're doing. But primal does not necessarily mean low carb. And one night a week of drinking isn't going to screw up your transition. Also, if you train low-carb and carb load before the race, you basically fly through the race. When I trained low carb, the pre-race carb loading was so much more effective! But I'm moderate carb now so the results are not as spectacular.
                Last edited by diene; 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM.

My journal

Comment

There are also other types of pasta that don't include wheat, if it turns out you find that wheat pasta causes you issues.

Comment

mark suggests" rice and noodles made from rice are fairly free of anti-nutrients and aren’t going to kill you, and they may provide a valuable source of easily accessed starch that you find valuable on your journey."
                    That was in his blog post from 13th May
                    Read more: What to Eat When Hiking Around the World | Mark's Daily Apple
                    might these help you?
                    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                      The other thing that annoys the shit out of me are all the people that are afraid of fruit and carbs. "I ate 3 lbs of bacon, 2 cups of heavy cream, 4 ribeyes and 3 strawberries and gained 5 lbs." "OMG, try eliminating fruit!".
                      This is exactly how I feel within this community. It like, eat all the stuff you want, even if it's not 100% Paleo, but limit your fruit to a handful of berries. This fear of a natural sugar containing food is dumb. It's real food with plenty of benefits and is far easier to digest than most "hardcore paleo foods". AKA BACON!

I've discovered this the hard way of low carb, almost zero fruit for 2 years. I now eat mostly raw fruit and very, very little vegetables. I feel a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                        I run races too (though not once a month). I carb load with rice, potatoes, enjera (made with teff flour), and sometimes ice cream (yes, ice cream). I also drink like 1-3 times a week, depending on the week (and that's 1-3 nights of drinking, not 1-3 drinks). But I try to stay away from sugary cocktails (I do have them occasionally) and try to drink wine or cocktails with club soda and lime/lemon juice. But there's no rule that says you can never drink sugary cocktails."

--We should hang out!

[/QUOTE]
                        Edited to add: Yes, you do have to transition into burning fat for fuel, in the sense that it takes some time to adapt to a low-carb diet, if that is what you're doing. But primal does not necessarily mean low carb. And one night a week of drinking isn't going to screw up your transition. Also, if you train low-carb and carb load before the race, you basically fly through the race. When I trained low carb, the pre-race carb loading was so much more effective! But I'm moderate carb now so the results are not as spectacular.
                        [/QUOTE]

Thank you for answering this.
                        Yes, I train low-carb and then at the race and after a night of carbs I feel like a super-hero.
                        Huge huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
                          mark suggests" rice and noodles made from rice are fairly free of anti-nutrients and aren’t going to kill you, and they may provide a valuable source of easily accessed starch that you find valuable on your journey."
                          That was in his blog post from 13th May
                          Read more: What to Eat When Hiking Around the World | Mark's Daily Apple
                          might these help you?
                          Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by JulieRUNS View Post
                            and I'll tell you what is stopping me. You all seem very dedicated and disciplined in your lifestyle. I am new to this forum and site so I hope I won't be judged too harshly.

So I run competitively about once a month. I mostly eat a low carb diet but I do load up on pasta the night before my race. I always enjoy the tremendous boost of energy the next morning. I do not want to give this practice up.

Another challenge is that on Friday nights, my husband and I usually go out to dinner and also have drinks. We don't do this every Friday but most, I would say, and its a great time to focus on each other and escape the week's drama. (we have 4 kids close in age) We really have a good time together and I do not want to give up the margaritas/mixed drinks part of it. Its just a favorite thing to do as we have a fun night together!

So I've always thought because of these two habits, Primal diet is not for me. Is this true or would it work for me to do Primal all other times and just have these cheat times?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinion on this!
                            The good news is you get to make all your own choices. But please understand that there are more optimal choices that you can still enjoy to replace the less optimal things you're doing. With that said, perfection is not the goal, improving health and performance is. How much you want to improve is up to you.
                            Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

Comment

Working...
                            X