No announcement yet.

Where do we get all the carbs we need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do we get all the carbs we need?

Hi All

I'm very new at this but if you need to maintain 50 to 100 grams a day (Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss), where should they come from. It seems with the meat and veggies I eat everyday, as well as a small amount of fruit, my carbs are not even adding to 50. What am I not eating or eating enough of?

Adding in some fruit or starches will get you in that range pretty easily.
    Depression Lies

Comment

Eat more veggies, things like squash, more fruit like a banana, sweet potatoes. Dark chocolate, if you like.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I'm also new and trying to hit 100 carbs a day for maintenance-harder than I thought it would be! I'm adding some things like plantains and bananas, honey, a larabar here and there, and potatoes and rice. Today I managed to hit 106 carbs, but I had pizza for lunch
        *Sara*

Comment

One cup of cooked plantain slices has about 50g of carbs.

One cup of cooked sweet potato has like 40g.

One medium banana has about 30g.

This isn't rocket science.
          Eat some food for those carbs.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Affordable meal starch: potatoes, sweet potatoes, green plantains, rice
            Fun/variety meal starch: parsnips, taro, butternut squash, lotus root

Lots of tomatoes, onions/leeks, carrots, and beetroots are nutritious and easy to incorporate

Plus 1-2 fruit servings as snack or dessert
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Great! Thanks to all for the wonderful suggestions. I didn't realize you could eat sweet potatoes!

Comment

It's a whole food... if you want/need the carbs, have at it!

Any of the roots and tubers and fruits fall into that category.
                Don't stress over "where to get carbs"... eat a piece of FOOD.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Green Leaves, Green Leaves, Green Leaves and more Green Leaves. LOL. Also roots: beets, rutabagas, parsnips, turnips, etc.
                  "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by kaffyduck View Post
                    Great! Thanks to all for the wonderful suggestions. I didn't realize you could eat sweet potatoes!
                    I have one roasting right now. I peel and drop it in a bowl in the refrigerator. My semi-primal boyfriend will help himself to it when he's grazing for a meal.

Comment

That's why im so confused when i hear people who eat nothing but meat and greens all day... they cant be going over 15g carbs, and mark suggests a 50g minimum... ???

Comment

Originally posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
                        That's why im so confused when i hear people who eat nothing but meat and greens all day... they cant be going over 15g carbs, and mark suggests a 50g minimum... ???
                        Different strokes for different folks...
                        Some people are very comfortable at those low levels.
                        Others aren't.
                        Everyone has to find their own groove.

The way I see it the only thing of real importance is the part about sticking to real, whole, natural foods.
                        The rest has to be fine tuned to the individuals needs, and that is going to vary a lot.
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                          Different strokes for different folks...
                          Some people are very comfortable at those low levels.
                          Others aren't.
                          Everyone has to find their own groove.

The way I see it the only thing of real importance is the part about sticking to real, whole, natural foods.
                          The rest has to be fine tuned to the individuals needs, and that is going to vary a lot.
                          Thanks cori! do you mean these people have better luck losing on lower carbs, or they generally just feel better that way? im just curious because my body composition is excellent right now, but i dont feel good... id like to add more carbs but im nervous ill see gains.

Comment

Originally posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
                            Thanks cori! do you mean these people have better luck losing on lower carbs, or they generally just feel better that way? im just curious because my body composition is excellent right now, but i dont feel good... id like to add more carbs but im nervous ill see gains.
                            Some people lose better lower for various reasons... appetite control being one for people who struggle with binge eating, cutting weight/building muscle "steak n' eggz style".
                            Others have reasons to go/stay Keto like brain issues(Me and Paleobird for instance.)... others just feel great sticking to mostly meat(Kinfegill for instance).
                            As long as eating high fat/low carb is not blunting your appetite so that you under eat if you are at your ideal weight you'll be fine. But I think that is where some people might get into problems. An already thin person going HFLC and then getting the reduced appetite could under eat easily IMO if not paying attention the calories being consumes and making some effort to track and maintain for a while to establish an eating pattern.

But if you should not fear eating carbs from good whole food sources. Lost of people here also lose weight better eating higher carb lower fat because their satiety/satiation mechanisms are different. They are bulky and hard to over eat compared to processed foods. Plus they are good for you. No reason to avoid them really unless you want to or because they produce some effect in you that is undesirable such as some people find they are intolerant to white potatoes/tomatoes/peppers(nightshades).
                            N=1 and all.
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                              Some people lose better lower for various reasons... appetite control being one for people who struggle with binge eating, cutting weight/building muscle "steak n' eggz style".
                              Others have reasons to go/stay Keto like brain issues(Me and Paleobird for instance.)... others just feel great sticking to mostly meat(Kinfegill for instance).
                              As long as eating high fat/low carb is not blunting your appetite so that you under eat if you are at your ideal weight you'll be fine. But I think that is where some people might get into problems. An already thin person going HFLC and then getting the reduced appetite could under eat easily IMO if not paying attention the calories being consumes and making some effort to track and maintain for a while to establish an eating pattern.

But if you should not fear eating carbs from good whole food sources. Lost of people here also lose weight better eating higher carb lower fat because their satiety/satiation mechanisms are different. They are bulky and hard to over eat compared to processed foods. Plus they are good for you. No reason to avoid them really unless you want to or because they produce some effect in you that is undesirable such as some people find they are intolerant to white potatoes/tomatoes/peppers(nightshades).
                              N=1 and all.
                              You're the best... thanks for taking the time to write all that!!

Comment

Working...
                              X