Where do we get all the carbs we need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
    That's why im so confused when i hear people who eat nothing but meat and greens all day... they cant be going over 15g carbs, and mark suggests a 50g minimum... ???
    I'm a "meat and greens" guy, it's more like 50g carbs, or 35g net. Very easy to hit that with small sides of asparagus, spinach, or kale with each meal, plus eggs have carbs. Munch a cucumber for a snack. Bam 50g.

What I don't get is 100g, that's extremely challenging for me. Only exceeded it once or twice in 4 months. Basically requires eating a truck load of sweet potatoes, and I get exhausted after the second potato.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
      One cup of cooked plantain slices has about 50g of carbs.

One cup of cooked sweet potato has like 40g.

One medium banana has about 30g.

This isn't rocket science.
      Eat some food for those carbs.
      wait.. it isn't rocket science? hahaha

seriously though, 1 cup of cooked rice is 45 grams and a large potato is 63 grams. wtf is wrong with people?

Comment

^ because we don't eat rice and potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
          sucks for you. do you eat bananas? other fruit? plantains? peppers? tomatoes? various squash? if you arbitrarily choose not to eat perfectly healthy foods, then you need to figure out how to substitute for the lack of that macro. again, this isn't rocket science

Comment

Who is we? I do. Most people on this forum do, actually.
            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
              Who is we? I do. Most people on this forum do, actually.
              Actually, is there a poll about it ? I do eat rice, (sweet) potatoes and bananas. I don't go crazy with these foods but I do eat them. Nothing wrong about them, except too ripe bananas contain too much fructose maybe ? if you eat e.g. 30 ban. a day like some crazy raw vegan dude ...

Comment

The original poster is asking about the basic paleo/primal plan laid out on this website; no rice, potatoes questionable, fruit questionable if you are trying to lose fat.

Under that scenario you naturally don't get many carbs, darn hard to go over 100g in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                  do you eat bananas? other fruit? plantains? peppers? tomatoes? various squash? if you arbitrarily choose not to eat perfectly healthy foods, then you need to figure out how to substitute for the lack of that macro. again, this isn't rocket science
                  Meh, personally I don't eat much of any of that on a regular basis, peppers and tomatoes here and there.

LOL why would it be "arbitrary" as opposed to serving a specific purpose? Why would a person need to substitute for a macro that isn't required? What would happen if a person didn't eat that macro? They would get lean and buffed out.

Comment

Meh, personally I don't eat much of any of that on a regular basis, peppers and tomatoes here and there.

LOL why would it be "arbitrary" as opposed to serving a specific purpose? Why would a person need to substitute for a macro that isn't required? What would happen if a person didn't eat that macro? They would get lean and buffed out.
                    aaahh.... you're one of "those" paleos. time to catch up on your reading. I suppose if you are a couch potato and had 50lbs to lose, then low carb would be ok. or if you were treating a specific medical condition with a low carb diet, then more power to ya. but as a healthy person, moderately to highly active, you're doing yourself a dis-service. if you were healthy to begin with, and happen to have gotten all "lean and buffed out" by eating low carb, its because you lowered your calories. stop trying to convince yourself or anyone else otherwise.

Comment

The original poster is asking about the basic paleo/primal plan laid out on this website; no rice, potatoes questionable, fruit questionable if you are trying to lose fat.

Under that scenario you naturally don't get many carbs, darn hard to go over 100g in my experience.
                      The OP never mentioned trying to lose fat. That was your assumption.

Comment

Blackest sweet plantains you can find, throw em in the oven for 15mins @ 450*. Your welcome.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by kaffyduck View Post
                          Hi All

I'm very new at this but if you need to maintain 50 to 100 grams a day (Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss), where should they come from. It seems with the meat and veggies I eat everyday, as well as a small amount of fruit, my carbs are not even adding to 50. What am I not eating or eating enough of?
                          dairy, nuts, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit.
                          Sandra
                          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by dkJames View Post
                            Actually, is there a poll about it ? I do eat rice, (sweet) potatoes and bananas. I don't go crazy with these foods but I do eat them. Nothing wrong about them, except too ripe bananas contain too much fructose maybe ? if you eat e.g. 30 ban. a day like some crazy raw vegan dude ...
                            No poll needed. Just look around.
                            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                              Blackest sweet plantains you can find, throw em in the oven for 15mins @ 450*. Your welcome.

Even though I'm HFLC... ^^THIS^^ is one of my favorite indulgences!!!
                              It's like dessert, like candy, like sooo freaking delicious.
                              Like everything a banana ever wanted to be and FAILED miserably at.

As a side note.
                              You can get frozen black sweet plantains in the grocery store in some places.
                              They are not too hard to find here in FL anyway...
                              You have to look at the package, some have added oil. I don't buy those.
                              They are great for when all you can find is green plantains and don't want to wait a week for your eats.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                                Even though I'm HFLC... ^^THIS^^ is one of my favorite indulgences!!!
                                It's like dessert, like candy, like sooo freaking delicious.
                                Like everything a banana ever wanted to be and FAILED miserably at.

As a side note.
                                You can get frozen black sweet plantains in the grocery store in some places.
                                They are not too hard to find here in FL anyway...
                                You have to look at the package, some have added oil. I don't buy those.
                                They are great for when all you can find is green plantains and don't want to wait a week for your eats.
                                I can't go more than 2 blocks without tripping over a Spanish food store, very easy to come by. I usually get 5 for $1.

Comment

Working...
                                X