Testing for hypothyroid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing for hypothyroid

Hi folks, I am experiencing symptoms of hypothyroid and going to see my GP on Friday. I understand that the TSH test alone isn't much use and there are other components needed that they won't normally test for. So I want to go in knowing what to ask for. I've been searching the web for information but haven't found a definitive "you should ask for the following tests when you talk to your doctor." I need help. From what I have gleaned I should ask for: TSH, free T3, thyroid antibodies, thyroxine?

I know it might not be thyroid, maybe something else - adrenal fatigue? Vitamin deficient? Hormone imbalance?
    Any advice on what tests I should ask for would be appreciated.

My symptoms:

Low body temp (usually in the low 97s)
    Can't lose weight even with exercise, controlling calories, low carb, very low carb
    No sex drive
    Fatigue - feeling incredibly sleepy even after full nights sleep
    Foggy thinking
    Poor memory/forgetfulness
    Low motivation
    Late afternoon/Evening cravings
    Burning soles of my feet occasionally - usually after being on my feet for the day, my soles will feel like they are on fire
    Sore joints
    Very tight neck, shoulder, back and buttock muscles
    Infertility - they diagnosed 'scared fallopian tubes' but did not determine why.
    Low stamina - can't maintain moderate intensity for very long

Thank you!
    Aly

You should probably get free T4 as well. T4 is thyroxine, but make sure you get free T4. Total T4 is pretty useless. Also, check your vitamin D and ferritin levels.

Also probably get T3 uptake (this is pretty standard). It may tell you whether your thyroid-binding hormone levels are too high or too low. Chris Kresser's thyroid series is helpful. See, for example, 5 thyroid patterns that won’t show up on standard lab tests
    Last edited by diene; 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM.

My journal

Comment

Last edited by Beachgirl; 08-15-2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X