Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor circulation, so it is true

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Hey dude,

    It sounds like you are in the throes of an eating disorder You've got a lot of neurosis about food, and it seems to be effecting you a lot.

    I know lots of people (myself included) who have overcome EDs, and there are a plethora of approaches. If you want any info just PM me, I'm happy to help!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Mikee5 View Post
      Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'm gonna visit my doctor today but they'll blame the diet and my decisions. I'm definitely planning on adding more carbs eventually since 25g is not a realistic lifestyle commitment.

      Every one on this forum has been really helpful. Thanks every one.
      If your doctor tries to blame the numbness in your arm on your diet, there's two problems.

      1. You told the doctor you've changed your diet, thus suggesting it is the cause of the problem.
      2. Your doctor is an incompetent ass for not checking this out.

      Number 2 here would mean your doctor is utterly incompetent and should be fired, whether or not number 1 happened.

      I suggest not bringing the diet up, and if you are asked, say you're eating mostly natural whole foods.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        If your doctor tries to blame the numbness in your arm on your diet, there's two problems.

        1. You told the doctor you've changed your diet, thus suggesting it is the cause of the problem.
        2. Your doctor is an incompetent ass for not checking this out.

        Number 2 here would mean your doctor is utterly incompetent and should be fired, whether or not number 1 happened.

        I suggest not bringing the diet up, and if you are asked, say you're eating mostly natural whole foods.
        I want to believe that, I really do but it's just too coincidental to just have these issues with a sudden and pretty radical diet change, especially one that is not recommended or encouraged by doctors or nutritionists etc. I just don't know if its related to the low level of carbohydrates or the high amounts of saturated and overall dietary fat that I have shocked my body with. It might be some kind of deficiency, but I am consuming adequate pottasium, sodium and magnesium through supplements. I can't see the doctor until Tuesday so I'm gonna go lean meat and increase carbs until then to see if it's diet related. I'm extremely disappointed and I feel so discouraged right now, especially since low carb felt like the answer I've been looking for for so long.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          Number 2 here would mean your doctor is utterly incompetent and should be fired, whether or not number 1 happened.

          I suggest not bringing the diet up, and if you are asked, say you're eating mostly natural whole foods.
          Do not do this. The easiest way to be misdiagnosed and/or waste time, money and medical resources is to lie to your doctor.

          Originally posted by Mikee5
          I'm gonna go lean meat and increase carbs until then to see if it's diet related
          Yes, do this.
          Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
            Do not do this. The easiest way to be misdiagnosed and/or waste time, money and medical resources is to lie to your doctor.
            The OP has said that if he tells his doctor exactly what he is eating, he thinks the doctor will not follow up on any of his symptoms, and will simply blame him for no longer eating a CW diet.

            Is that an adequate response, in your opinion? Should he be satisfied, go home, and hope for the best? Or should he then, having wasted a bunch of money, begin doctor-shopping for a physician who is willing to take his complaints seriously?

            How many primal doctors are there really out there to choose from?

            Many people say they are vague about exactly what they eat when they are asked by their physicians. Do you insist to every one of them that they should make sure their doctors know exactly what their diets consist of? And then take the statins which the doctors insist they take?

            Comment


            • #51
              I think in a case like this, his diet should be the first thing that's evaluated. If the symptoms persist, then he should seek medical treatment. If you don't rule out what could be the simplest explanation, you could find yourself being tested for celiac disease, parasites, pancreatitis, fatty liver, go through MRIs, ultrasounds and ultimately have an EGD - all of which come back resoundingly negative - and wind up with a diagnosis for IBS.

              My gastroenterologist took me seriously. Too bad I was just a fucking idiot who spent too much time on health forums infested with naturopathic nonsense. I know a little bit about wasting medical resources for simple problems. He's a young man and death is not imminent.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Mikee5 View Post
                I want to believe that, I really do but it's just too coincidental to just have these issues with a sudden and pretty radical diet change, especially one that is not recommended or encouraged by doctors or nutritionists etc. I just don't know if its related to the low level of carbohydrates or the high amounts of saturated and overall dietary fat that I have shocked my body with. It might be some kind of deficiency, but I am consuming adequate pottasium, sodium and magnesium through supplements. I can't see the doctor until Tuesday so I'm gonna go lean meat and increase carbs until then to see if it's diet related. I'm extremely disappointed and I feel so discouraged right now, especially since low carb felt like the answer I've been looking for for so long.

                Are you listening to yourself? You have body parts going numb and that "feels right" to you?

                1. Eat more of everything
                1.a have fun with food - look for something new to try every week (there are some weird looking vegetables out there!)
                1.b stressing out over your diet is worse for you than a few extra pounds
                2. Do not be concerned about the minutia of Macro ratios
                2.a Over time it will all balance out. What your body requires day to day or even hour to hour will not be the same.
                3. Allow your weight to fluctuate a little. You could easily put on 20 pounds and probably feel great.
                4. Drink when you are thirsty - not some predetermined quantity.

                I'm 53 y/o 5'10" and weigh ~175 (my target weight). I tried the VLC route and didn't like it. I'm probably in the 100 gram carb range per day and my weight stays pretty steady.
                Last edited by Black Timber; 05-15-2013, 12:42 PM.
                Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Mikee5 View Post
                  I'm a male, 5'9, 23 and 130 lbs. I've already lost 10 lbs and I wanna maintain now, but adding back the carbs might trigger hunger pangs and cravings again so I'm planning on doing it gradually and as painlessly as possible. The issue I'm having now is really unpleasant and I know it's diet related.
                  OK, now we have some more data points.

                  Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  Uh, the sum total is exactly the same. You're not even making sense. Binging is eating more, doesn't matter if one is controlled and the other is some psychosomatic problem. Unless you mean eat more, but not too much more, just until that magical number where your circulation improves.

                  Young men don't need to be on low carb, period. When I was eating low carb, I had exactly this same problem as OP, except, I wasn't even able to break 1.5k calories on any day. No appetite whatsoever. When I wasn't eating low carb, I rarely, if ever, passed 2380 calories as well, and I'm 6'3. Felt perfectly fine, even walking and biking everywhere.


                  Fructose doesn't stimulate insulin, and fructose alone decreases blood insulin and glucose levels. There is glucose present, but the effects aren't nearly as pronounced as starch(pure glucose alone).

                  It's all in your head, or possibly, because you needed the fruit in the first place. Believe me, binge enough, get it out of your head that it's going to kill you or whatever, stop feeling bad, and eventually you'll get bored and won't do it again. Everyone, even the most healthy minded people binge, they just don't view it the same way. I "binge" all the time.
                  Derp, binging is an unhealthy thing both physically and psychologically. It is not just eating more or eating a lot. You abviously aren't getting that distinction. Your advice to someone without an ED might be helpful but I don't think that's the case here.

                  Given the new info we have on height and weight however, I totally agree that low carb is probably not optimal for the OP.

                  Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                  Eat more!
                  This.

                  Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                  Hey dude,
                  It sounds like you are in the throes of an eating disorder You've got a lot of neurosis about food, and it seems to be effecting you a lot.
                  I know lots of people (myself included) who have overcome EDs, and there are a plethora of approaches. If you want any info just PM me, I'm happy to help!
                  Thanks for offering to help, YB. And I agree with you.

                  Originally posted by Black Timber View Post
                  Are you listening to yourself? You have body parts going numb and that "feels right" to you?
                  1. Eat more of everything
                  1.a have fun with food - look for something new to try every week (there are some weird looking vegetables out there!)
                  1.b stressing out over your diet is worse for you than a few extra pounds
                  2. Do not be concerned about the minutia of Macro ratios
                  2.a Over time it will all balance out. What your body requires day to day or even hour to hour will not be the same.
                  3. Allow your weight to fluctuate a little. You could easily put on 20 pounds and probably feel great.
                  4. Drink when you are thirsty - not some predetermined quantity.
                  This should be a sticky.
                  Last edited by Paleobird; 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Mikee5 View Post
                    I'm gonna go lean meat and increase carbs until then to see if it's diet related.
                    Why? I mean, why are you cutting out fat? There's nothing wrong with fat, and as others have said, it sounds like you are quite underweight. You should increase the amount of fat in your diet for health reasons.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                    Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Derp, binging is an unhealthy thing both physically and psychologically. It is not just eating more or eating a lot. You abviously aren't getting that distinction. Your advice to someone without an ED might be helpful but I don't think that's the case here.
                      He'd be unhealthy psychologically before anyway. I don't see where it'd be unhealthy physically assuming he's already underweight(if he is, idk). You're right, I'm not getting that distinction, because you're telling a person with an ED to eat more in the first place.

                      I have an idea, that theorizes why eating disorders are mostly a female thing. Well, it's actually several theories anyway.

                      I would decrease fat for a few reasons currently, I have many more, but just gonna list 2 cause of time restraints.

                      1). 150g is way too much fat. Literally no one needs this much fat, ever.

                      2). At that threshold fat does absolutely nothing for you except store itself as fat.
                      Last edited by Derpamix; 05-16-2013, 03:47 AM.
                      Make America Great Again

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Cut the excess fat (not from meat, dairy and coconut) and up the carbs (veggies are not carbs, eat fruits, potatoes, rice, etc) by a ton. Stop drinking a gallon of water and just drink to thirst. Salt everything.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          Cut the excess fat (not from meat, dairy and coconut) and up the carbs (veggies are not carbs, eat fruits, potatoes, rice, etc) by a ton. Stop drinking a gallon of water and just drink to thirst. Salt everything.
                          For those of you saying your cold, do this and you will not have cold hands/feet/nose anymore. Plus, it is perefectly primal so no harm in trying Worked for me, and as an added bonus my digestion improved.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                            He'd be unhealthy psychologically before anyway. I don't see where it'd be unhealthy physically assuming he's already underweight(if he is, idk). You're right, I'm not getting that distinction, because you're telling a person with an ED to eat more in the first place.

                            I have an idea, that theorizes why eating disorders are mostly a female thing. Well, it's actually several theories anyway.

                            I would decrease fat for a few reasons currently, I have many more, but just gonna list 2 cause of time restraints.

                            1). 150g is way too much fat. Literally no one needs this much fat, ever.

                            2). At that threshold fat does absolutely nothing for you except store itself as fat.
                            My daily carbohydrate intake varies between 20-30g (which I know is not really recommended) and I initially aimed for a more ketogenic diet, so fat should always be high. I've seen posts here with people's daily intakes like 200g fat/50g carbs/150 protein. This probably isn't ideal for a guy my weight anyway. I also incorporate at least 30-40 mins cardio a day.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Mikee5 View Post
                              My daily carbohydrate intake varies between 20-30g (which I know is not really recommended) and I initially aimed for a more ketogenic diet, so fat should always be high. I've seen posts here with people's daily intakes like 200g fat/50g carbs/150 protein. This probably isn't ideal for a guy my weight anyway. I also incorporate at least 30-40 mins cardio a day.
                              You know Mikee, once you have been around this board for a while you will know how unusual it is for me, Derp and Zach to be in agreement of something but on this, yes. The thing about ketosis is that it suppresses your appetite. Which if you are overweight is a good thing but not so much for you. I agree that upping your carbs from good Primal sources (e.g. spuds and fruit) would probably do you a world of good.

                              Also read up on Chronic Cardio as Mark calls it. It is a massive stress hormone creator for your body. Try downloading the PB Fitness guide. It's free.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X