Benjamin Franklin on vegetarianism...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjamin Franklin on vegetarianism...

"I believe I have omitted mentioning that in my first voyage from Boston to Philadelphia, being becalmed off Block Island, our crew employed themselves in catching cod, and hauled up a great number. Till then I had stuck to my resolution to eat nothing that had life; and on this occasion I considered, according to my master Tyron, the taking of every fish as a kind of unprovoked murder, since none of them had done or could do us any injury that might justify this massacre. All this seemed very reasonable. But I had formerly been a great lover of fish, and when it came out of the frying-pan it smelled admirably well. I balanced some time between principle and inclination, till, recollecting that when the fish were opened I saw smaller fish taken out of their stomachs, then, thought I, "If you eat one another I don't see why we may not eat you;" so I dined upon cod very heartily, and have since continued to eat as other people, returning only now and then occasionally to a vegetable diet. So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

Truth.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Love the last bit.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by aliphian View Post
      Love the last bit.
      Yep, he really gets to the heart of the matter with that line. It's totally the best part.

Although I bet the cod DID smell "admirably" coming from the frying-pan.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Giving vegetarians a hard time never gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
          I'm sure it was even MORE common in Franklin's time and before.

Comment

Originally posted by aliphian View Post
            Love the last bit.
            Agreed.

M.

Comment

I'm so glad I got what I need from this forum and don't need to stay and wade through the tedious crap of chauvanistic pricks such as you

Comment

That is so interesting and love love love that last line.

oh Ben - what a sweet talker he was! hehe

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

I'm in the middle of a couple of weeks of Steak & Eggs, and the other day I piled a ton of beef, eggs (my local egg guy can't keep up) and butter on the checkout counter at the market. The (older) lady behind me had nothing but a TON of berries, fruits and a few veggies.

I was noting the complete dichotomy of our purchases when she asked me if I minded helping her get her watermelons out of her cart, since she wasn't strong enough. I felt validated.

Comment

By this reasoning, we shouldn't be allowed to eat grass-fed beef.

We are allowed to eat only CAFO cows who were fed the offal and mad-cow infected spinal cords of other cows, right?
                    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                      By this reasoning, we shouldn't be allowed to eat grass-fed beef.

We are allowed to eat only CAFO cows who were fed the offal and mad-cow infected spinal cords of other cows, right?
                      Incorrect. I am a reasonable person so I will come up with a reason to eat grass fed beef.
                      The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

"If you eat one another I don't see why we may not eat you;"
                        That's the line I love.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          "If you eat one another I don't see why we may not eat you;"
                          That's the line I love.
                          That's a good 'un.

Comment

Working...
                          X