Peanut butter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peanut butter?

Hi. I've tried a few searches but I must not be entering the right key words. I'm trying to research peanut butter and what the problem with it is from a primal perspective. I'm a somewhat new primal eater but I do consume dairy. I've noticed a great change since cutting out grains, but I've kept Natural PB in my diet. It doesn't seem to bother me, I like it, and its an easy way to get fat and protein. I'm looking for reasons why PB should be avoided. Thank you.

Here is something that I read about it...

Peanuts Are Not Paleo | Paleo Plan

Comment

Note the mold counts (poison) are even higher in natural peanut butter

Comment

Lots of allergenic protein, fungal toxin, and omega-6 are the biggies I think.

Like all unrefined foods, if you're happy with how you look and feel then don't sweat it. If you aren't happy then peanuts are a likely candidate for what to minimize next.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

One of the highest sources of omega 6 unsaturated fat. And yea the mold thing is a bit unappealing.

Comment

try pure cashew butter as a healthy alternative. roasted pb and cb have some similarities in taste, but especially in texture.

Comment

I made a roasted pumpkinseed butter that tasted very much like peanut butter. Looked like woodchuck poop though.

Comment

For purists, it's not a nut, it's a legume and not allowed. For the health-conscious, the toxins and omega-6 counts are terrible. For those with a binge eating problem, it's a highly calorie dense food that's designed to be salty-sweet-fat and utterly easy to overeat and hard to stop.

Mark wrote about it.

Is Peanut Butter Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Peanut butter is inflammatory for me. It makes my arthritis flare.
                  Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                  Current: 155 - size 10/12
                  Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                    For purists, it's not a nut, it's a legume and not allowed. For the health-conscious, the toxins and omega-6 counts are terrible. For those with a binge eating problem, it's a highly calorie dense food that's designed to be salty-sweet-fat and utterly easy to overeat and hard to stop.

Mark wrote about it.

Is Peanut Butter Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                    Just thought about this...

Pretty sure he does recommend nuts like almonds. Most paleos/primals don't seem to have much reservation about them.

Omega 6 Content of Common Foods – 180 Degree Health

Almonds have only a slightly lower amount of omega 6. Pecans and pistacho's have about the same. I wonder if peanut butter is unjustly villified, or it is just some kind of fad. Or maybe we should start avoiding almonds and other high omega 6 nuts as well. Which pretty much rules out all nuts except for a few. But you never really hear anyone about that.

Comment

I still think it is due to it being a legume thus having the anti nutrients Mark talks about in his book. As far as I understand it is the proteins in legumes that are most problematic.
                      Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                      Current: 155 - size 10/12
                      Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

It has a mold/fungus on it, and it has a lot of PUFA in it. But in the end, I don't think that it's a big deal of your happy with the way you look, feel, and perform.

Comment

If you read the whole article, Mark doesn't seem to think it's such a big deal, but preferably avoided.

Assuming you make your own peanut butter without sugar etc. which is really far more delicious than anything you can buy in a store.

I generally avoid it myself, but make it occasionally as a treat.

Good thing I can't stand the supermarket garbage.
                          Last edited by s0meguy; 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Aflatoxin and PUFAs:
                            Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

Comment

It's a legume. From what I hear, almond butter is a great alternative (I'm allergic) and I also use sunbutter (sunflower seeds) which tastes quite nicely in comparison to peanut butter.
                              Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                              Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                              Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                              F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X