Peanut butter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kathleen View Post
    It's a legume. From what I hear, almond butter is a great alternative (I'm allergic) and I also use sunbutter (sunflower seeds) which tastes quite nicely in comparison to peanut butter.
    Almond butter is also loaded with toxic PUFAs. All nuts should be avoided for optimal long-term health.

Comment

If you don't react to it and you don't overdo it, it's up to you. I see lots of people on this forum regularly eating things that make them sick because they are part of their "20%".

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
        For purists, it's not a nut, it's a legume and not allowed. For the health-conscious, the toxins and omega-6 counts are terrible. For those with a binge eating problem, it's a highly calorie dense food that's designed to be salty-sweet-fat and utterly easy to overeat and hard to stop.

Mark wrote about it.

Is Peanut Butter Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
        This exactly. There is a reason that most peanut butter is about a third of the price of other real nut butters - it's crap.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I gave it up a year ago. It was hard; we grew up on the stuff.
          Now, when I have half an apple, I smear a little org macadamia nut butter on the slices.
          Not the same greasy goodness, but a good substitute.
          When we finish the latest jar of mac butter, I'm giving that up, too.

Comment

As I was reading through some of the comments on Mark's entry, I came across someone who mentioned that blueberries warmed up with some almond butter tastes great. I have both (blueberries and almond butter) and decided to try it out.

My 6 year old: "Can I try a bite of that?"
            Me: "sure."
            6 year old: "What is it?"
            Me: "Almond Butter and blueberries."
            6 year old: "Wow, well it tastes like candy to me!! There is no sugar added though, wow!"
            Me: "LOL" :-)

I guess when the kids are looking for a treat I can whip some of this stuff up! And I have to say, even though she said it tasted like candy, she only took about 3 bites and then happily went on her way - so not necessarily addictive. I felt the same. It tasted good, but I wouldn't eat it if I wasn't hungry.

Comment

Peanut butter tastes fantastic, but, yeah, it's not good for you. It's the only "nut" I can really tolerate

My 6 year old: "Can I try a bite of that?"
              Me: "sure."
              6 year old: "What is it?"
              Me: "Almond Butter and blueberries."
              6 year old: "Wow, well it tastes like candy to me!! There is no sugar added though, wow!"
              Me: "LOL" :-)

I guess when the kids are looking for a treat I can whip some of this stuff up! And I have to say, even though she said it tasted like candy, she only took about 3 bites and then happily went on her way - so not necessarily addictive. I felt the same. It tasted good, but I wouldn't eat it if I wasn't hungry.
              Have a hard time believing a 6 year old would say this or even care
              Make America Great Again

Comment

Yea, I had a primal slip a few months ago when some peanut butter appeared in our fridge. I managed to eat almost half the container with a boatload of raisins thinking it was fat, fruit, and natural. Too bad it was all 'mega 6ers.

It really brought back some nostalgic feelings I used to get when eating PB&J, tasted just like it too.

Then I realized I was using PB as a binge food because I had emotional triggers attached to the taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  Peanut butter tastes fantastic, but, yeah, it's not good for you. It's the only "nut" I can really tolerate

Have a hard time believing a 6 year old would say this or even care
                  Well, we JUST switched to primal eating, so I have been talking a lot about how we don't eat things with sugar added anymore.

Comment

Not that much of a fan, anyway.

IMHO dark chocolate trumps any nut (or legume, whatever); would rather melt it over bananas than eat an apple with a spoonful of nut butter or whatever.
                    Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                    https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                    MFP Food Diary:
                    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                    (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Originally posted by pollo_la View Post
                      Well, we JUST switched to primal eating, so I have been talking a lot about how we don't eat things with sugar added anymore.
                      That's not cool at all
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by s0meguy View Post
                        Just thought about this...

Pretty sure he does recommend nuts like almonds. Most paleos/primals don't seem to have much reservation about them.

Omega 6 Content of Common Foods 180 Degree Health

Almonds have only a slightly lower amount of omega 6. Pecans and pistacho's have about the same. I wonder if peanut butter is unjustly villified, or it is just some kind of fad. Or maybe we should start avoiding almonds and other high omega 6 nuts as well. Which pretty much rules out all nuts except for a few. But you never really hear anyone about that.
                        Truth.

The mould thing sounds icky. But I love peanut butter. In fact, I'm adding some to my breakfast smoothie shortly.
                        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by s0meguy View Post
                          I wonder if peanut butter is unjustly villified, or it is just some kind of fad.
                          Aside from people who are already allergic to it and have known it all along, a lot fewer people seem to react than to, say, wheat or dairy. And the ones who do react seem to have less severe reactions.

Comment

I only eat Brazil or Macadamia nuts once maybe in a month and I only buy 1/4 lb of them when I do.

Comment

I like peanut flavor, and I don't have any problem buying organic raw peanuts, sprouting them, boiling them, and eating them. The farmers' market I go to usually sells them, and if the peanuts don't look like they've been sitting around a long time, I'll buy some. Don't see the big problem here...it's a real food?
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Honestly, not quite willing to ditch peanut butter, but I don't eat it daily, mainly on the weekends, and I substitute it for almond butter in a "bread" recipe that I have a few slices of throughout the week.

I would love to give almond butter a shot, but the only almond butter I can find locally has junk oils in it, and I figure natural peanut butter is the lesser of two evils.
                                Last edited by Cyborcat; 05-11-2013, 06:03 PM.
                                My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                                (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                                Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                                (Red Dwarf)

Comment

Working...
                                X