Eating canned salmon daily

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating canned salmon daily

Anyone else eat the hell out of canned salmon?

I've been eating it almost daily for over a year. I buy a brand that sells wild caught Alaskan pink salmon. The research I've done says pink salmon has a low life span and doesn't pick up all the nasty stuff. I also read something about how getting omega 3 from fish produced better levels than taking pills.

http://www.wildrivergrilling.com/ind...lmon_Facts.htm

Are you using "no salt added", love salmon , but I have a hard time finding no salt added in grocery stores.
    Crown Prince, is one brand that offers it.

Comment

I eat it frequently. Less frequently since I switched over to more sardines because they contain less contaminants. Not that I think the contaminant conent of either is of much consequence, especially with IFing, chlorella, milk thistle, iodine and all the other stuff in my favor.

Anyway yes. Mine has 28% DV in one can. Biiiiig deal I hardly consume any salt other than that and maybe a gram of sea salt from my shaker.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I eat canned salmon probably three times a week or so. I like the red salmon much better than the pink though and I think it's meant to be better nutrient wise as well.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Pedrito View Post
          Are you using "no salt added", love salmon , but I have a hard time finding no salt added in grocery stores.
          Crown Prince, is one brand that offers it.
          I eat something like 8oz of salmon a day, which is around 1000mg of sodium. Ever since going primal my blood pressure has dropped to normal levels. I'd also say my sodium intake has increased, on average. From my own personal experience, I don't see what the big deal with taking too much sodium in. There has been times when I consumed in excess of 5000mg, my head didn't explode and my blood pressure remained normal.

Comment

Originally posted by That One Guy View Post
            Anyone else eat the hell out of canned salmon?

I've been eating it almost daily for over a year. I buy a brand that sells wild caught Alaskan pink salmon. The research I've done says pink salmon has a low life span and doesn't pick up all the nasty stuff. I also read something about how getting omega 3 from fish produced better levels than taking pills.

http://www.wildrivergrilling.com/ind...lmon_Facts.htm
            A can of sardines daily. I do love salmon though.

Comment

I eat Bumblebee canned wild Alaskan pink salmon 3-5x per week.
              Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

i eat canned red salmon a few times a week.
                "The first wealth is health."
                - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I feel like going and buying canned salmon now. I have bought fresh salmon from the fishmarket before but that is too pricey to be a regular thing.
                  A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

laziness and grossed-out-ness re the salmon bones means I have more tuna than salmon for my workday B.A.S...

I heard with canned salmon the main issue is to avoid ATLANTIC salmon..because that's where the nasties - mercury et al - are worse. Or was that to buy Atlantic salmon, now I can't remember (and clearly have ignored anyway) - sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone heard the same advice (and is it to avoid or buy Atlantic!)...thanks

Comment

Mog,
                      I just checked this out, since it's been 974 years since my last biology class ;-)
                      Pacific salmon spawn only once, then die...Atlantic salmon are capable of spawning MORE than once. Thus the Atlantic salmon theoretically could have a longer lifespan during which to accumulate heavy metals, etc.

Here's a link: http://science.jrank.org/pages/5943/Salmon.html

(Why aren't questions like THIS on Trivial Pursuit???)

Comment

I get wild pink salmon in pouches in my supermarket--sans bones and skin--and I probably have it 4-5 times a week. I prefer it to the canned because it's 'cleaner'--i.e., I find the bones, etc. to be 'icky.' I can also get frozen wild salmon filets in my supermarket and buy those regularly as well.

Comment

I went into the supermarket today and all the canned salmon is over $20 a kilo (some over $30). That's bullshit when I can buy fresh caught salmon at the fish market for the same price.

I did buy a can of sardines and a can of tuna because I've never tried either of them but they were both cheap.
                          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I eat tinned salmon and sardines about twice a week each. I've managed to get my cellular omega 3:6 to 1:4 when I was actually omega-3 efficient when taking 1g a day omega 3 capsules. 1:4 isn't perfect, but that should continue to improve.

I eat all the bones as it's my main source of calcium (I'm dairy free), plus I suspect the bones are a source of lots of other goodies too.

My only slight concern is the BPA from the tin linings.

This article on MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/canned-food-safety/ links to this table of BPA content: http://buysafeeatwell.org/blog/data/...2009_11_02.pdf

This gives the amount of BPA in a 5oz tin of tuna as 0.4 micrograms. Mark's article gives amounts in micrograms/kg/day. So if you weigh 70kg, that tin of tuna is going to give you 0.006 micrograms per kg of body weight.

In mice, the article states the following finding at 0.025 micrograms/kg/day: "Permanent changes to genital tracts in adult females with in utero exposure to BPA that only show up during adulthood."

So your tin of tuna is giving you 1/4 of that.

It's your choice whether that's an acceptable risk. For me, I reckon the benefits of the 4 tins per week outweigh the risks, but then I don't eat any other tinned food.
                            My primal journal
                            You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                            In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Kuno1chi - thanks! great analysis...and agree, perfect trivia question.

I will avoid Atlantic Salmon...

Comment

Working...
                              X