No announcement yet.

Cream/butter as my primary fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cream and butter are NOT the same. Most of cream is a liquid containing water, whey protein, and milk sugar along with the fat. When you make butter you clump up the fat and then squeeze out the liquid whey, leaving only fat. They used to feed the liquid whey to pigs; now it's used for protein powder.

Isn't milk sugar alone enough to prevent people from getting cut? I would experiment using only the butter. Better yet, clarify* the butter. Even the best butter is 9-10% milk liquids.

-----------
    * Melt the butter in a mug in a pot of hot water. Pour the melted stuff into a sandwich bag with a corner pointing down, cool slowly to room temp, then put in the fridge overnight. Don't disturb the bag. In the morning, cut off the bag. Throw out the white milk solids and keep the solid yellow butterfat.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I don't think there is any milk sugar in heavy cream. It has no carbs. Could be wrong though.

Comment

Whip heavy cream long enough and you get butter. So it is the same stuff but in a different form

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
          Cream and butter are NOT the same. Most of cream is a liquid containing water, whey protein, and milk sugar along with the fat. When you make butter you clump up the fat and then squeeze out the liquid whey, leaving only fat. They used to feed the liquid whey to pigs; now it's used for protein powder.

Isn't milk sugar alone enough to prevent people from getting cut? I would experiment using only the butter. Better yet, clarify* the butter. Even the best butter is 9-10% milk liquids.

-----------
          * Melt the butter in a mug in a pot of hot water. Pour the melted stuff into a sandwich bag with a corner pointing down, cool slowly to room temp, then put in the fridge overnight. Don't disturb the bag. In the morning, cut off the bag. Throw out the white milk solids and keep the solid yellow butterfat.
          I would think the amount of whey or milk sugar in even a cup of cream would be pretty negligible... maybe the same amount of sugar as in a few strawberries (if that). If you check out the nutritiondata website, it'll tell you how many grams of carb/protein in a cup (I can't do it because I'm on a crappy computer that won't load the website correctly). A lot of bodybuilders get cut drinking tons of regular milk.

Comment

Originally posted by paleodutch View Post
            Whip heavy cream long enough and you get butter. So it is the same stuff but in a different form
            No it is not. Cream has much higher in protein casein than butter. The churning produces fat and fluid that is buttermilk and had a lot of the protein that butter lacks

Comment

Originally posted by paleodutch View Post
              If you whip heavy cream long enough to you get watery butter. The "watery" is still the whey.
              Proper butter squeezes all the whey white stuff out. Clarifying the butter squeezes out more. I did check the caloriecount database, a cup of heavy cream has about 6.5 grams carbs and supposedly no sugar. Don't know if that's enough to make a difference.

But yeah, the calories are an issue too.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

self.jpg

Don't be scared of fats. I eat 250 grams of butter a day, along with lots of gouda and other dairy fats and have been doing so for quite a long time. My bloodwork was good too. I only eat carbs in the form of green vegetables and occasionally munch potatoes, rice and sweet potatoes for it's anabolic effect on the weekends.

I know I am not huge, but I am bouncing back from evil illnesses and there has been no fat gain during my weight increase.

Comment

Working...
                X