Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get me off the nuts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Lightweight/zero-water foods definitely deserve a special zone of caution--I never go near them when hungry. I keep a sack of home-toasted mixed nuts in the back of a refrigerator drawer (out of sight) and sometimes after dinner I'll open it up, pick out about 2 of each type, then put it away before eating any.
    37//6'3"/185

    My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

    Comment


    • #17
      This is definitely a concern for me. I make no-oatmeal oatmeal at least once per week. I also eat at least a handful of macadamias or almonds every day. I'm still losing fat, but I feel my results would be even better without going nuts on nuts.
      The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

      Comment


      • #18
        Or you can introduce a meal that is all just nuts. I had breakfasts of macadamia and coffee or dinners of mixed nuts or nut butter and tea. Primal doesn't have much fun foods, and sometimes, it is good to stop the 'I am committing a nutritional crime!" guilt stuff that always haunts you when you touch fruit, nuts and dairy. Pleasure foods. So make them into actual food, and treat them as such once in a while.

        Snack on those beloved green crunches instead, like cabbage. You can have half a head of it before you hit 200 calories you will get from a good handful of nuts.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

        Comment


        • #19
          A good way to moderate the nut intake is to buy them in the shell and get a nutcracker. That way you have to work for each one and it slows you down.

          Comment


          • #20
            Probably should try eating more meat, fruit, and vegetables during meals.

            Comment


            • #21
              Possibly a mineral deficiency. Nuts are a terrific source of things like selenium, magnesium, manganese, copper, calcium zinc and vitamin E. Some of these are lacking in a primal diet that avoids nuts IMO. Eat up and stay well. Or spend your money on magnesium and selenium supplements.... I prefer the nuts.
              Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                The PUFAs:
                Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

                if this won't make you dump the nuts nothing will.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  Or you can introduce a meal that is all just nuts. I had breakfasts of macadamia and coffee or dinners of mixed nuts or nut butter and tea. Primal doesn't have much fun foods, and sometimes, it is good to stop the 'I am committing a nutritional crime!" guilt stuff that always haunts you when you touch fruit, nuts and dairy. Pleasure foods. So make them into actual food, and treat them as such once in a while.

                  Snack on those beloved green crunches instead, like cabbage. You can have half a head of it before you hit 200 calories you will get from a good handful of nuts.
                  I do this frequently for lunch. One whole meal of only nuts and an apple or something. Quite filling.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    I do this frequently for lunch. One whole meal of only nuts and an apple or something. Quite filling.
                    Do this on a regular basis and you will eventually be hypothyroid and diabetic.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                      Do this on a regular basis and you will eventually be hypothyroid and diabetic.
                      Hhaha. No. Prove it. Whole societies thrive eating this way.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Hhaha. No. Prove it. Whole societies thrive eating this way.
                        But, but , but, but, Ray Peat said so. Isn't that proof enough?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X