No announcement yet.

Post menopausal body fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read somewhere that older women need more protein. I'm not post-menopausal but protein seemed to be the missing link for me as far as feeling and performing my best, not to mention looking better. I'm eating a lot more protein than I ever had my entire life and now when I look back on my life I am pretty certain that not eating enough protein and not getting enough general nutrients has been the cause of all my problems throughout life.

I've gotten 3 unsolicited comments recently about my body composition and looking fit. I'm feeling really healthy lately, that level beyond feeing fine that some people describe. So basically upping the protein is working well for me.

I try to make sure every meal has a generous portion of meat. I'm not doing any kind of extreme thing like steak and eggs. Just basic primal blueprint stuff but more protein than Mark recommends and I make it a priority to get in the super nutrient rich stuff like liver or leafy greens when I can.

I don't look as buff as seaweed or eKatherine but I look more buff than I ever have in my whole life. I'm also starting to lose patience with my partner and all his degenerative health complaints. Dude, pay attention to what's happening over here. If you want what I have, do what I did. Otherwise quit the pity-party, I'm not interested.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      I'm also starting to lose patience with my partner and all his degenerative health complaints. Dude, pay attention to what's happening over here. If you want what I have, do what I did. Otherwise quit the pity-party, I'm not interested.
      SB - I so totally agree with this. I love my DH to bits, but he along with a couple of friends and a daughter - just need to pull their fingers out !!!!!!! I have become less tolerant over this last year.................. it is sad that they continue to grumble and mumble about x y and z - and some days I really DGAD !!!!!
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        I read somewhere that older women need more protein. I'm not post-menopausal but protein seemed to be the missing link for me as far as feeling and performing my best, not to mention looking better. I'm eating a lot more protein than I ever had my entire life and now when I look back on my life I am pretty certain that not eating enough protein and not getting enough general nutrients has been the cause of all my problems throughout life.
        I can totally relate to this.

I don't look as buff as seaweed or eKatherine but I look more buff than I ever have in my whole life.
        Almost time for a new photo.

Comment

I'm eating a lot more protein than I ever had my entire life and now when I look back on my life I am pretty certain that not eating enough protein and not getting enough general nutrients has been the cause of all my problems throughout life.
          same here. and little nutrient deficiencies add up over time and you end up like the frog in the pot.

I'm also starting to lose patience with my partner and all his degenerative health complaints. Dude, pay attention to what's happening over here. If you want what I have, do what I did. Otherwise quit the pity-party, I'm not interested.
          with you here, hence one of the many reasons he is the exhubby.

Almost time for a new photo
          i reckon!

Comment

I am in menopause and I have annoying belly fat, but I'm in the normal weight range. I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid which could be the reason why I haven't lost the belly fat even though I've been primal for 3 yrs. Because I'm in the normal weight range my doctor doesn't think the weight is an issue, and when I've brought it up with close friends (which I rarely do because they are all overweight and it feels petty to talk about the few extra pounds I have) they say isn't that normal for women our age? I think, common but not necessarily normal. I'm really hoping the thyroid meds help with the weight and help me to have more energy to work out because lately I find myself doing less and less.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if for older women some of the belly pooch is fibroids. I had a fibroid the size of a grapefruit in my uterine wall. I didn't even realize it until the doctor pointed it out to me and then I could actually feel it pressing on my abdomen. Apparently really super big fibroids aren't always symptomatic so women can have them and not notice. I had a smaller one inside my uterus that was causing me huge problems. I got the whole shebang removed. My grapefruit wasn't big enough to make my belly stick out, but bigger ones might do that for other women.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

All very interesting. Perhaps getting closer to menopause is causing my body to "redistribute". I've really noticed this lately. I haven't decided if its because I've increased my carbs a little because of running more (getting ready for a half marathon on June 1), or if its just age/menopause/hormonal. I have gained weight, but I've also been lifting heavier too. But I can feel that my abdominal area is less lean than even six weeks ago.
                My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

My belly pooch is still surface fat. It is getting smaller and less loose, though the stretch marks give the skin a lacy look.

No doubt it is the natural tendency during menopause is to decrease fat on hips and increase around the waist. My waistline used to be 10" smaller than my hips. Now it is more like 9" smaller. But being powerless to change that would assume all things are equal, which they never all. Getting more exercise of the right kind, eating enough protein and the rest of the right diet is probably something few of us did when we were younger. I expect my hips will never again be 10" larger than my hips. But I will get my waist down to where it was before. I think that's what matters.

I always thought my butt was too big anyway.

Comment

Reduce all PUFAs as much as possible and use progesterone. Read Ray Peat for more info. I've been PUFA restricted about a year and it makes a major difference.

Comment

i avoid nuts, chicken and pork. never eat vege oils other than the odd bit of EVO.

Comment

^^It's easy to overeat eggs which contain a lot of omega 6s; plus you have a lot of stored PUFAs in your tissues probably. Have you had your thyroid tested? A TSH over 1 is hypothyroid.

Comment

no i havent had anything tested and that is interesting about eggs. i only get free range ones and i only usually have 2 a day. our beef and lamb is grass fed and i eat alot of wild venison and seafood.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                            ^^It's easy to overeat eggs which contain a lot of omega 6s; plus you have a lot of stored PUFAs in your tissues probably. Have you had your thyroid tested? A TSH over 1 is hypothyroid.
                            A TSH of over 1 does NOT mean someone is hypothyroid. Please stop giving inaccurate, as well as incomplete information, concerning thyroid health.

Comment

A recent lab test listed normal TSH as 0.45 to 4.5, not 1.
                              Starting Weight: 197.5
                              Current Weight: 123
                              Far healthier!

Comment

Working...
                              X