Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, you actually have to allocate time to this...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, you actually have to allocate time to this...

I notice a lot of threads about people not wanting to spend time cooking.

What percentage of time do you think paleolithic man spent on food per day? Perhaps 20-40% of waking hours spent hunting, gathering, preparing, eating?

Today almost everything is done for you, the food is all waiting just for you in the grocery store, and in many cases they will deliver those groceries to you. So if you spend 1-2hrs cooking that's only 6-12% of your day. It only takes one trip to the grocery per week, because we have an invention called the refrigerator, so add 1hr per week.

If you can't even do that maybe rearrange your priorities!

I'll do what I want to do. Thanks.

Comment

I'm busy as F%*K. But I take the time to cook (it's not much, especially if you make a bunch of food and then tupperware it. Simple). I figure what's more important than my health? If that goes then I'll be way less busy making money.

Comment

I do cook the vast majority of meals my family eats (with a full time job), but in the other posters' defense, paleolithic man didn't have to spend time working to make a paycheck to pay for his rent, electricity, vehicle and the ability to purchase things like refrigerators and stoves.

Having said that, I do feel like people spend way more time and energy working and commuting than absolutely necessary when they could be just as happy with fewer things and more free time.

Just my take on it.
        Durp.

Comment

I don't think so. It takes no longer to prepare simple meals than to open a series of boxes, dump them on a cookie sheet, and put them in the oven to heat. Or time spent driving to a burger joint and waiting in line indoors or at the drive-through. Or ordering out and waiting for the food to arrive. And it takes a lot more time to go to a real restaurant and sit through a meal.

It's just a matter of priorities, what you're willing to invest your time in vs what you are not.

Some people take pride in the fact that they don't or won't cook. It's definitely a first world problem.

Comment

Maybe some people don't like cooking. Shrug. Has no effect on me either way. Some people just don't enjoy cooking. Yes, frying a couple of eggs is easy, but making a recipe with lots of prep and multiple ingredients is not within some people's comfort zones or interests.

We also have to spend more time walking and exercising and going back and forth to gyms and work and whatnot. Being primal can take up a lot of time.
            be the hair that knots with my hair
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
              If you can't even do that maybe rearrange your priorities!
              What business is it of yours what somebody else's priorities, and how he chooses to spend his time, are? Who cares?

I choose to spend more time than most sourcing recipes, buying quality food and cooking for myself and my mister. But my lifestyle affords me the time to do this, and it's something I enjoy. If my circumstances were different, I would adjust accordingly.

Comment

I think one ideally has time to prep and cook their own food, but that is not always the case. Time, money, and location are all factors. I am fortunate enough that I can buy and cook my own food, including having enough time to make lunches and relax on the weekends. Not everyone has that kind of luxury.
                Depression Lies

Comment

Yeah. What you said is rather patronizing. I'm lucky enough to be as to have time to prepare and cook for myself and my family, but others aren't so lucky. Kids, work, after-school activities, errands, particularly living in a busy metropolitan area, can all significantly cut down on your time.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    It's just a matter of priorities, what you're willing to invest your time in vs what you are not.
                    Yeah, that is what makes it weird.

Both husband and wife work, they just eat whatever is fastest/cheapest, then they spend all that money they made on --> doctors to fix all the ADD/obesity/diabeties/cancer caused by overwork and improper nutrition! Makes perfect sense (scarcasm).

Comment

It's a matter of priorities. You do what you have to do, or you re-prioritize. When I worked three jobs I spent half of Sunday fixing vegetables so I would have 3 plates of food to take with me when I left for work in the morning. Otherwise I would have had nothing to eat when I was away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
                        What business is it of yours what somebody else's priorities, and how he chooses to spend his time, are? Who cares?
                        Just pointing out how currious it is that proper nutrition gets allocated almost zero time in developed countries.

Bill Clinton was talking today about how the US can't afford it's annual healthcare spend, how it is higher than any other developed country, totally out of control. He intelligently made the point that it's not about figuring out how we can increase revenues to pay for this healthcare, but rather fixing people's health habits so they don't need the doctor! But of course when it comes to concrete steps of how to fix America's health nobody has any ideas.

But I have one!

Oh, and anyone who doesn't like my tone can go pound sand.

Comment

I think it's a mindset. In conversation with friends yesterday twice the phrase "life's too short" was issued. Once in relation to housework, and again in relation to baking. As in, Life's too short to spend time to cream the butter and sugar, and to sift the flour. It's quicker to melt the butter throw everything together and hope for the best.

I was a little shocked, and then again when I realised that once I would have agreed that these things were not worth my time. Now I am beginning to look at things differently, more along the lines of "if a job's worth doing, then it's worth doing properly". (Not that I cream butter and sugar, or sift flour any more, but I whip up omelettes, grill bacon, make soup from scratch, pack lunches etc).

So, yes, I do cook and yes it takes time, time that I see as a worthwhile investment in my health and my family's wellbeing. And life is short, and therefore it's for living, eating, drinking, spending time with family, not guzzling junk and feeling sicker and sicker till the end.

Bye, gonna go scrub the kitchen floor
                          Last edited by Annieh; 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM.
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Love this thread. Life is too short to worry about clean floors and a toilet clean enough to eat out of.

Life isn't too short to make sure you're eating good food. Money money money. For the price of the garbage that is easy and convenient, you can eat healthfully simply by cooking your own food.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Anything you want to accomplish that can't be accomplished by pure inertia takes a change in how you prioritize your time. But nobody changes their priorities until it becomes an urgent need driven from within. People who come on here and whine about no time for this or that have simply prioritized other things. I have never liked being fat and unhealthy but it wasn't until the day it became my mission to stop being fat and unhealthy did I ever do anything about it. Not until then did figuring out how to fit all the changes into my life became a fun puzzle to solve rather than an obstacle to complain about.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X